A village Vegemite mystery.

Lacessit

9 hours ago, polpott said:

Wrong. The yeast is live.

So if I  put a little  bit  in another  jar I can watch it  grow ? Yeehahhhhhh ! lol

Actually  I  would  prefer not to eat a salty blended yeast excrement by-product.

No !! I amend that  !  Red  wine  is  an exceptional  exception. And  cheese ! (Cheese  mold  is no problem if you  eat with  eyes  shut  ! )

What don't  kill ya might  makes  ya  stronger ! 

I have been a regular Vegemite/Marmite user in Thailand for years, and I have always kept the opened jar in kitchen cupboard, in non-aircon space, and I have never seen any mould or other deterioration.  Out of habit, I keep the un-opened, reserve, jar in the fridge, but never seen any hint of mould.  I once bought a jar of Marmite from village shop in Malaysia, (don't ask how it got there,)  and it had 'gone off' in some way, tasting wrong and not smelling like I expected, s it is possible for these food to go off.  You could have found a strain of mould that flourishes on Vegemite/ Marmite, and the spore remain in your house waiting to infect the next jar you open.

Ten years in Bangkok and 7 years in Isaan and never seen mould in my vegemite.  I love it but dont eat it so regularly meaning an opened jar can sit in the cupboard or fridge for months, but never seen any mould or deterioration. 

Are you sure it hasnt been tampered with?  How are you and your wife getting on ?????

3 minutes ago, seajae said:

where do you get the tubes of vegemite, not a big eater of it but do enjoy it very occasionally so the tubes would be great, I actually prefer promite.

Imported from Australia, have never seen them here.

On 11/17/2020 at 12:25 AM, Lacessit said:

I use tubes of Vegemite in my GF's village. The reason I do this is because an opened jar of Vegemite develops a white mould on the contents. I have never seen this before, not in Australia, not in the condo I used to occupy in Chiang Mai, not in my condo in Chiang Rai. My GF's village is 25 km from Chiang Rai.

Vegemite according to the food labelling is 8.4% salt, so a mould that can tolerate that kind of salt content must be something special.

Has anybody else living outside the cities seen this? Marmite users are welcome to contribute if they have experienced a similar phenomenon. Comparison of the two products, that's been done to death.

I'm just thinking a mould like this might be producing a new antibiotic, or a suite of organic compounds that could be useful. The biochemists may find it interesting.

IMG20200823083428.jpg

I have some good news for all you Vegemite Lovers out there..they are about to bring out Vegimite in a plastic container with a squeezy top like you get honey in now.This will be good as the contents will be more than the small tubes and hopefully ..no mould.

On 11/21/2020 at 3:05 PM, polpott said:

I have real evidence. Why would my unopened jar of marmite explode in warm conditions?

We don’t doubt your evidence, we doubt your conclusion.

Going from refrigeration to high heat can cause a vessel to rupture,  my port bottles often pop their cork if I remove the outer sealing tape.

28 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

We don’t doubt your evidence, we doubt your conclusion.

Going from refrigeration to high heat can cause a vessel to rupture,  my port bottles often pop their cork if I remove the outer sealing tape.

My point was that I kept unopened jars in a cupboard, not the fridge.

OP possibly copped the Reduced Salt version??

barcoded 9352042000304 

on a side note... for anyone who finds Vegemite unpalatable: 

- only ever use a minimal amount... never plop too much on your toast 

- did you know that by having a half'n'half of Honey with Vegemite, does 2 things...

The honey takes away the 'sharpness' of the vegemite, and the vegemite takes away the 'sharpness' of the honey;

and 2; that mixing Vegemite with stiff (out of the fridge) honey somehow instantly makes that honey 'spreadable'   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, polpott said:

My point was that I kept unopened jars in a cupboard, not the fridge.

My point is that the yeast in your spread is highly, highly unlikely to be multiplying and rupturing your jars...

Like I said, we don’t doubt your experience just the conclusions you’ve come to.

3 hours ago, faraday said:

And a response time of 14 hours from you.

Now now, no snits please. I do have other things to do in my life, and I thought the thread had petered out, so I wasn't following it. Were you waiting with bated breath, sorry to disappoint you.

• Haha 1