Dental work; root canal, post and crown.

The Fugitive

1 minute ago, Andy from Kent said:

The Ms. had a wisdom tooth extracted in Issan which the dentist said needed to go.

It took only a few minutes and I was more concerned than she was.

Afterwards when I asked,  she said it didn't hurt at all.

Superal, did you ask for and get a shot of novocain?     I understand many are fearful of shots from dentists.

Novocain , what is that ?

• Haha 1

There's no horror movie around that would top dentist stories in LOS.

I needed a crown and the "dentist" started to grind of a healthy tooth to prepare it for a crown.

When I found this out, I couldn't believe it. And the one that needed a crown was untouched.

When I said something, she mumbled that I decided to take this one?

I prefer to fight with a lion than going to a dentist. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

There's no horror movie around that would top dentist stories in LOS.

I needed a crown and the "dentist" started to grind of a healthy tooth to prepare it for a crown.

When I found this out, I couldn't believe it. And the one that needed a crown was untouched.

When I said something, she mumbled that I decided to take this one?

I prefer to fight with a lion than going to a dentist. 

Sounds like a complete communication failure.     You wanted a crown and she was prepping for a bridge.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

The stuff they inject that you feel less, or no pain. 

had 2 injections per tooth , the inner mouth one hurt the outer one outside of the gum , could feel but not too painful . Dentist also broke a nearby tooth which left a sharp edge and another dentist smoothed it down a week later because it was cutting my tongue . 

• Sad 1

I've had several crowns done here and the estimate you got certainly seems reasonable to me. It's consistent with my past charges. Personally I prefer private clinics for this sort of work, but it's only my preference. I'm confident hospital dentists would do a fine job however.

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2020 at 12:20 AM, The Fugitive said:

Certainly don't want any extractions if can be avoided. Maybe have to put up with it until can go back to U.K. without restrictions. You're correct about the thinking of course. Mrs would never buy new tyres for her car (for example).

LOL. You think it'll be cheaper in the UK? Dreaming if you are, in my experience. The tooth will be OK without a crown for some years, but eventually may dry out and crack as happened with me. Had I had them capped at the time I would not have gaps now.

In such things one gets what one pays for, so don't go for the cheapest.

IMO the Thai dentists were better than the ones in the UK.

If the tooth goes bad it will affect your health as happened to me.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, natway09 said:

It is a reasonable price for good work. Stay with a good dentist as root canals done by anyone "shady" can become a real problem later with infection.

If non visual part of mouth go with a stainless Nr No looking crown as harder than porcelain

Good dentist you say , any recommendations ?  A dentist named Dr Sunil from Bangkok iAnyone had dental work from his practice ?

On 11/17/2020 at 11:14 AM, The Fugitive said:

Yesterday given quote of 14,000 baht at a High Street clinic for root canal, post and crown. Thai Mrs went ballistic and wants me to have an extraction. Any members with experience of this? Is the quote reasonable? Could the dentist's at our local hospital perform this work? Thanks in advance.

That price is good but we  need  to know if  thats a molar  premolar etc, Im having one done  right now total  cost  will be  about 25k when al done its a  premolar its required 4  trips first time was in agony so that was getting the  root  out, then it was left for two  weeks and then cleaned out again and filled, next  will be crown  prep and then finally  fitting, I  choose the more expensive crown type not a cheap  one.

Local Government hospital is usually 3,000 Baht for a root canal and 3,000 Baht for a crown. However, only the bigger hospitals can typically do a root canal. For the bigger hospitals you might have to wait nearly one month for an appointment, unless you pay a 'surcharge' (maybe $3,000).

The smaller hospitals can usually start your treatment on the same day.

• Thanks 1

I went to 2 private dental clinics for extraction, and replacement but was sticker shocked. So through my wife's family went to the military hospital/Phra Mongkut and for 3 extractions & removal of 1 bridge paid a total of 7500 bhat (incl Xrays). Now have decided to go to Cjhula Hosp for other medical consultations/treatments.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2020 at 5:14 AM, The Fugitive said:

Any members with experience of this? Is the quote reasonable? Could the dentist's at our local hospital perform this work?

Depending of clinic, the quality of same, or using a hospital's dental service, in my experience count from about 10k baht to around 20-25k baht

Often you can often get same quality of work in a good private clinic as a branded hospital, but for about half the price.

14k baht doesn't sound scaring high, nor extremely cheap.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, superal said:

had 2 injections per tooth , the inner mouth one hurt the outer one outside of the gum , could feel but not too painful . Dentist also broke a nearby tooth which left a sharp edge and another dentist smoothed it down a week later because it was cutting my tongue . 

Good dentists are as rare as good wives/ husbands. 

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2020 at 11:14 PM, The Fugitive said:

Yesterday given quote of 14,000 baht at a High Street clinic for root canal, post and crown. Thai Mrs went ballistic and wants me to have an extraction. Any members with experience of this? Is the quote reasonable? Could the dentist's at our local hospital perform this work? Thanks in advance.

I am in the United States.  Wife had to have that.  For one tooth. 

So far the cost has been about 136,395.66 baht at, the current, now, exchange of 30.31 B to the $ on my exchange app.

Or, $4500.00!!!

• Sad 2

I have had probably a dozen root canals and crowns done over the years in Thailand, but not recently. I used to pay from 1000 to 3000, depending on tooth - how many roots, molars have more than incisors, and 3500 for a standard crown. I think crowns average 5000 Baht now. 14000 Baht sounds a bit steep. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Why do plenty of foreigners have rotten teeth? 

It's not better to spend your money on booze, chicks and fags. 

The third teeth brigade will understand me well. 

Can only speak for U.K. Many of us had a mouthful of unnecessary fillings by our early teens. This was because dental treatment was free under our National Health Service up to the age of 21. We are registered with one particular dental practice. Dentist's bought yachts in the Bahamas by defrauding our N.H.S. Although you could seek a second opinion they were mostly all 'at it' and closed ranks saying such as 'matter of opinion' and 'prevention is better than cure'. I can only ever recall a couple being reported and shamed in the newspapers.

you get what you pay for.

I am in the process currently of having 2 implants and 2 crowns at St. Louis Dental Clinic.  it's located inside the Hospital. 

I am paying 100,000 bht and it's worth every penny knowing that these guys are using the best equipment in the World as well as the best materials.

I am very happy so far.  We did the implants 2 weeks ago and everything is perfect

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, natway09 said:

It is a reasonable price for good work. Stay with a good dentist as root canals done by anyone "shady" can become a real problem later with infection.

If non visual part of mouth go with a stainless Nr No looking crown as harder than porcelain

All my molars have those. I don't think they are stainless per se, but certainly shiny and very hard.

Are you thinking of Jaws? He wasn't in Dr No.

Re the OP, the price seems reasonable to me, and way cheaper than one  in the UK or NZ, IMO. People go to Thailand on holiday to get dental treatment because the cost of holiday and dental is similar, IMO, to just the dental in UK or NZ. Certainly I got all my dental done in Thailand when I could.

55 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

I have had probably a dozen root canals and crowns done over the years in Thailand, but not recently. I used to pay from 1000 to 3000, depending on tooth - how many roots, molars have more than incisors, and 3500 for a standard crown. I think crowns average 5000 Baht now. 14000 Baht sounds a bit steep. 

Depends on the dentist. One could use one of the cheap places and get a cheap job. I used Grace Dental in Chiang Mai. Expensive but worth it.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:07 PM, DavisH said:

Was it a wisdom tooth? Other's should post no problems. I had a bad molar removed in Bkk, no issues and no pain aside from the injection. In a couple of weeks, I get ym implant completed.

14K for the root canal post and crown is good. I alot depends on the number of roots needed to be removed (doepends on which tooth), and the equality of the crown material. I have an 80% gold crown (cant see the gold lol), and that was about 16K baht alone. I have another basic crown for 8K. The implant will be abput 60K all up. 

Thanks for reply! No it wasn't a wisdom tooth. I had those removed 45 years ago. Dentist couldn't cope by himself and fetched another brute who ripped my gums apart and stitched them afterwards. Jaw swelled so much had to take next day off work.

• Sad 1