Were you a Mod..?

transam

1 hour ago, potless said:

When I was young, my father told me that bikers used to play "chicken" at the brick railway arches spanning the North Circular at Stonebridge Park station. They would come down the road at high speed and brake at the last minute to see who could get closest to the arch. Sometimes with a fatal result. Sad. Wondering if either of you know anything about that ? Would have been around the mid 60s at a guess.  

Yeah remember they did chicken runs with the lights at red difficult to comprehend these days but there weren't so much traffic about then,  it was still dodgy to do but possible. 

The other was playing a record on the jukebox and ride to a certain point and back before the record finished. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah remember they did chicken runs with the lights at red difficult to comprehend these days but there weren't so much traffic about then,  it was still dodgy to do but possible. 

The other was playing a record on the jukebox and ride to a certain point and back before the record finished. 

Yep , we did that . Deepdene cafe to the Betchworth roundabout before Hold Me   P J Proby had finished . 

• Like 1

I remember it made a revival around 1980, with the Who’s Quadrophenia movie, loosely based on the story told in the earlier Album of the same name. The album was always a puzzle because it’s more rock than soul ... The Real Me and Love, Reign O’er Me ... being the standout tracks. Had an interesting cast ... Ray Winstone, Phil Daniels, Toya Wilcox and Sting. The original Mods were a product of the 1960s but I still see groups on scooters wearing German and Fishtail Parkas every now and then in the Summer ... reliving their childhoods.

16 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Some people take themselves too seriously to have a sense of humor.......

Humour is fine. They don't give marks for it in school though. 

Just trying to ascertain the depth of knowledge of those confessing to have ridden scooters as "mods".  But it is possible that by being mods they didn't really know anything about "modding" scooters and simply rode them to Carnaby Street?

Edited by VocalNeal

23 hours ago, transam said:

My second scoot in 1966 was a 1962 TV175, it was fuel injected and went like a rocket...????

780862411_WalPhillips.jpg.ab5939d351f5244de88761ce53b3511f.jpg

OMF is obviously a non-trendy Brylcreem kinda guy, that thinks the girls really liked a bloke with sticky hair..????

Hopefully only the hair was sticky. 555555

On 11/19/2020 at 11:40 AM, StevieAus said:

When younger always wanted an SX 200 special but had to settle for an LI 150.

The best gearbox ratios set. Don't beat yourself up!

Wal Phillips not a true fuel injector but I'm an Amal man.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

The best gearbox ratios set. Don't beat yourself up!

Wal Phillips not a true fuel injector but I'm an Amal man.

Glad you didn't use predictive text for being a 'Amal' man!???? 

• Haha 2

On 11/18/2020 at 12:11 PM, jomtienisgood said:

I started getting loads of records off them as they were going to Detroit and Philadelphia 

On 11/18/2020 at 12:11 PM, jomtienisgood said:

Not easy to get there on a Merchant 'Navy' Marine boat.....

Why do you question it? Both cities can be reached by ship. Philly has a naval shipyard and Detroit has a petroleum terminal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

That long pedal going to the rear wheel I imagine is the rear brake. Is the small pedal on the "running boards' the front brake ?

I believe the long one is the kick start pedal and the one on the floorboard is the rear brake.  Clutch and twist-grip shifter on the left handlebar.

image.png.31214661488c1dac4f376e4c20018fd0.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, canthai55 said:

That long pedal going to the rear wheel I imagine is the rear brake. Is the small pedal on the "running boards' the front brake ?

It's the kick-start, designed to be incredibly easy and user friendly to start the motor, rear brake was on the footboard, front brake and clutch were on the handle bars...Lambretta and Vespa had the same configuration, including 4 gears.

Edited by transam