Foreign business leaders call on Thailand to end its ‘red tape’ madness

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thailand to end its red tape madness.... Dream on, it will never happen. Every civil servant, and even the uncivil servants enjoy red tape, they would be totally lost without everything being cop

He has been harassing foreigners since ceasing power,   Everything about the military government is outdated.

Having an endless number of vague, irrational, and confusing laws is absolutely necessary to the Thai concept of government.   The very obscurity and ambiguity of so many laws is what makes

Posted Images

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Foreigners are allowed to import a container full of their personal possessions, when moving here. A friend of mine did this. It required 26 months and nearly 30 visits to the appropriate ministries. He said he was constantly being approached by staffers, asking him if they could help him "fast track" the process. He consistently refused. He finally got his stuff released. Red tape is an under statement. Reams of paperwork. Gross inefficiency. 

Hope it didn't take 26 months to get your personal effects released? Makes me a bit worried as my Container arrives end of this month. If you had and problems getting your Container released then would appreciate you extrapolating on problem(s) encountered. 

13 minutes ago, peterpaintpot said:

Well my experience was quite different, I arrived from England 14 years ago on the 26th of this month, my household effects and other property arrived in a container a few weeks later, I  was using the bulk space in the container so other small shipments could have been put in for another unknown. ....

Three years ago, I did sent my stuff from Belgium to Thailand.

It was only 5 cubic meter I needed (75 large boxes in total), so it was sent as part of a container.

The movers collected the stuff at my home and even secured/protected the fragile stuff (like my large screen TV), then took it to a warehouse in Rotterdam, waiting for a full load container to ship the stuff to Singapore - first stop - and then to Bangkok.  Approx 1 week after it arrived in Bangkok, a truck stopped at my place in KhunHan (650 km trip), and unloaded everything.

The whole process took almost 3 months from collection in Belgium to delivery in Khunhan, Thailand.  But nothing was missing or damaged, and I was never confronted with customs.  The cost was also more than reasonable > approx 55.000 THB all-in.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

Hope it didn't take 26 months to get your personal effects released? Makes me a bit worried as my Container arrives end of this month. If you had and problems getting your Container released then would appreciate you extrapolating on problem(s) encountered. 

You probably know by now that I commented on the same post as you did and I would like to help you with advice on your shipment. However I don't know why mine went so smoothly, it could be down to the shipping agent so at this stage there would be nothing for you to do, too late. I think taking a Thai friend with you if you have to meet the agent, one who is softly spoken but very firm and politely unyielding. However I have a suspicious mind ( a good thing if you live in Thailand ) and I cannot ignore my suspicion that there was something a bit iffy about the container load in the first post and the customs were trying to use their suspicion to get more money out of the farang. Just a suspicion.

Those are my thoughts, maybe something helps. I hope it all go smoothly for you.