Bangkok metered taxis can now charge special fees for luggage

webfact

15 hours ago, Katipo said:

This is definitely the best time to be implementing measures to make it more time consuming and expensive for tourists to come to Thailand. Such foresight. Much optimism.

Right, because adding 60 cents to a cab journey that is almost certainly much much cheaper than back home is going to cause people to cancel their trips.  

It is 20 baht.  Get a grip.

And time consuming???

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, TTSIssues said:

Hong Kong charges HK$ per item that needs to go in the boot. Size is likely in inches as that’s how airlines rate suitcases sizes. 

I travel there frequently and have never been charged for my suitcase going into the boot. Was this prior to Covid-19 bringing the world to a stand still?

• Like 1

I can see the driver trying to charge me for a backpack I take inside the cab. Lots of fun ahead!

If I dress up the bag as a human and put it on the seat will I be charged?

My 30" bag doesn't fit in the trunk, will I be charged if it is put on the seat?

If the taxi driver doesn't use the meter he can still add to the quoted fare?

• Like 1

From the OP, 

“... Bt20 for every bag that exceed 26 inches in width, height or length.“

So long as it IS in fact any bag where >>one or more<< sides exceed 26in, then that to me seem fair as to the definition of “baggage” as opposed to a hand-carried item such as personal bag, back/computer pack, etc. that could reasonably fit in the passenger compartment.

What i did not see is any language addressing weight of said items- in other words is there a charge for an item whose individual weight exceeds X pounds/kilos?   i would have thought that along with addressing the definition of baggage as to its size, there would have also been some language to address weight.

16 hours ago, outsider said:

Reminder to self: Take measuring tape along on next trip, in case I meet a cabbie who insists my 26-cm pouch is more than 26 inches.

I believe that somewhere in the small print there's also a fee for tape measures, plus an 'attitude fee' for those who dare carry such devices. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, brommers said:

Only retards like the USA uses inches. Even the Brits have gone metric, so why measure things in a unit that almost no-one uses and many do not know!

No doubt, in your mind, 10.16 cm sounds bigger than 8 American inches....

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok metered taxis can now charge special fees for luggage

By The Nation

800_9ff7d49c04d9418.jpg?v=1605596392

The Transport Ministry has announced that as of Tuesday, Bangkok metered taxis will be allowed to charge passengers handling fees for large luggage items, but not for equipment such as wheelchairs or walking sticks.

Under the new regulations, taxis will be allowed to charge luggage handling fees as follows:

• Bt20 for every bag that exceed 26 inches in width, height or length.

• Bt20 for every additional item of luggage after the first two.

• No more than Bt100 per piece for sports equipment like golf bags, bicycles, surfboards or musical instruments that are 50 inches or more in size.

• No more than Bt100 for equipment, tools or appliances that are 50 inches or more in size.

The cabbie is required to inform the passenger in advance about the extra handling fees.

No charges will be allowed for carry-on baggage such as handbag, computer bag, backpack or personal belongings carried by the passenger.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398090

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-17

Does this mean they will carry from taxi point and put in boot ? 

16 minutes ago, craigieboy1973 said:

Does this mean they will carry from taxi point and put in boot ? 

A fair question!

In some cities, taxi baggage charges only apply for items "handled by the driver", and Bangkok cabbies may or may not assist with luggage; some do and some don't.

And since most taxi trunks/boots here are virtually unusable because a retrofitted gas tank takes up all the space, this seems to raise the possibility of being charged for an item that the passenger handles him or herself, and has to squeeze onto the seat inside...which makes one wonder what exactly the charge is for.

And yes, I do realize that some cities do in fact charge exactly this way.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, outsider said:

Reminder to self: Take measuring tape along on next trip, in case I meet a cabbie who insists my 26-cm pouch is more than 26 inches.

You are right. Thailand has the metric measurements so why it is in inches? Did the writer study in the US? The rest of the world changed to metric you know? Plenty of articles TV have this.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fangless said:

Next they will be weighing each passenger.  

I understand why aircraft charge for excess baggage etc where weight equals fuel use and take off performance.  I am no car engineer but I do not believe that weight is a consideration with taxis otherwise we would be charged an excess for each additional passenger.

Don't give them ideas 

Given that the gas tank is where your luggage is supposed to go there’s barely any space for bags anyway. Charging for bags is acceptable at a fair rate but the driver is likely to have a different definition of fair.... there may be trouble ahead.

Edited by Fairynuff
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, shady86 said:

Does that mean the driver will load the bags into the trunk and any compensations if bag damaged?

No he'll sit on his fat rear-end like normal, allow you to open the door and pull the lever to open the boot for you to load yourself.

• Like 1