Bangkok metered taxis can now charge special fees for luggage

15 hours ago, Katipo said:

This is definitely the best time to be implementing measures to make it more time consuming and expensive for tourists to come to Thailand. Such foresight. Much optimism.

Right, because adding 60 cents to a cab journey that is almost certainly much much cheaper than back home is going to cause people to cancel their trips.  

It is 20 baht.  Get a grip.

And time consuming???

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is definitely the best time to be implementing measures to make it more time consuming and expensive for tourists to come to Thailand. Such foresight. Much optimism.

Business is slow.   Solution - Raise the price.

Why are the rules in Inches when Thailand use the metric system?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TTSIssues said:

Hong Kong charges HK$ per item that needs to go in the boot. Size is likely in inches as that’s how airlines rate suitcases sizes. 

I travel there frequently and have never been charged for my suitcase going into the boot. Was this prior to Covid-19 bringing the world to a stand still?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

I travel there frequently and have never been charged for my suitcase going into the boot. Was this prior to Covid-19 bringing the world to a stand still?

And the driver can determine the inches how?

• Like 1

I can see the driver trying to charge me for a backpack I take inside the cab. Lots of fun ahead!

If I dress up the bag as a human and put it on the seat will I be charged?

My 30" bag doesn't fit in the trunk, will I be charged if it is put on the seat?

If the taxi driver doesn't use the meter he can still add to the quoted fare?

• Like 1

From the OP, 

“... Bt20 for every bag that exceed 26 inches in width, height or length.“

So long as it IS in fact any bag where >>one or more<< sides exceed 26in, then that to me seem fair as to the definition of “baggage” as opposed to a hand-carried item such as personal bag, back/computer pack, etc. that could reasonably fit in the passenger compartment.

What i did not see is any language addressing weight of said items- in other words is there a charge for an item whose individual weight exceeds X pounds/kilos?   i would have thought that along with addressing the definition of baggage as to its size, there would have also been some language to address weight.

16 hours ago, outsider said:

Reminder to self: Take measuring tape along on next trip, in case I meet a cabbie who insists my 26-cm pouch is more than 26 inches.

I believe that somewhere in the small print there's also a fee for tape measures, plus an 'attitude fee' for those who dare carry such devices. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, brommers said:

Only retards like the USA uses inches. Even the Brits have gone metric, so why measure things in a unit that almost no-one uses and many do not know!

No doubt, in your mind, 10.16 cm sounds bigger than 8 American inches....