Bangkok metered taxis can now charge special fees for luggage

webfact

Crazy idea. By all means give them an increase in fare rates - they haven't had one for years (AFAIK) - its hardly surprising that some drivers try to rip passengers off. 

Surely the first step in creating a better taxi service in Thailand is to get rid of the cartels that own the licences. As I understand it, its virtually impossible for an individual to get a taxi plate.  They are sold en-block to the taxi mafia who then 'rent' taxis or plates out to the drivers - of course taking a nice wedge for themselves for doing zero.

Many times I've had a conversation with taxi drivers who share a taxi - each working an 8 hour shift or more. None of them looked particularly rich to me.

Perhaps if the drivers got a fair deal, they'd be less likely to try ripping their customers off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flinc2020 said:

So, if I ( all 63kg and 5ft 6 of me) arrive on a flight with my 3 holdalls and guitar I will get charged more than three 90kg+ passengers with 2 holdalls, yeah. that seems reasonable..........

Yeah, maybe by 20 baht or so.  Best cancel your trip.  Amazing how sensitive people can be over something so trivial.  Some questions:

1.  How many times annually will you fly with these three holdalls and a guitar?
2.  How much extra will you pay over the course of a year for that?  You must be flying in and out constantly (with your guitars and holdalls) to deem it worthy of posting about.

3.  When you work out that the answers to one and two probably equal to 20-40 baht per year would you like to explain why it is such a big deal to you and your 63kg weight?

• Like 2

Would multiple customers cost extra too?

How 1 customer + 1 suitcase is more/less a load than for example 3 customers no bag?

A charge to airport, addition to a charge from airport?

On another note:

Did someone influential got a share in Grab car?

Such changes will only turn ppl away from the regular taxi.

• Sad 1

On 11/17/2020 at 9:01 PM, hasitha77 said:

will there be a price list with reference to the sizes? just like the price list along with the distance and waiting time which is rarely displayed on taxis. 
or is it all up to the driver to decide the fair? 

Bye Bye my Tip

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

Maybe cheap to most farang but definitely not cheap for most Thai folks who make up 99% of their passengers.

Given what it costs to operate a taxi, the fares are cheap. That you’re a Thai working for minimum wages or a rich farang really has nothing to do with it. 

in any event, people traveling to and from the airport with luggage are not likely to be Thais working for minimum wages, but even if they were, the extra charges for their luggage would still not amount to much in the scheme of things.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

u’ve always travelled alone? You’ve never been skiing? never travelled with an infant? Never brought a load of stuff back from your home country? 

Yes, I have travelled alone to many countries and with my kids. Still plan how I was moving with local transportation. Plus there nothing in a countries that I could not get in the country I was living so did not need to bring back stuff.

When I move to Thailand I did have oversized baggage and I had private transport to pick me up. So learning to use your resources prevent you from being hood wick by taxi drivers. ????????????????

4 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

Dear Mr Cabbie.

Please don't complain when you loose more business to Grab taxi services.

Signed the Tourist feed up with the money grabbing in the LOS.

Adding 20 baht for a suitcase is money grabbing form tourists, really?  When the taxi fares are the third cheapest in the world?  Explain.  

If taxis were already expensive and they were wanting to charge even more, then yes.  But seriously, it's 20 baht on top of an extremely cheap cab ride - much cheaper than your home country unless you come from Egypt or India. 

https://www.traveldailynews.com/post/the-cheapest-and-most-expensive-taxi-fares-worldwide#:~:text=kids to hand.-,The country with the cheapest taxi fare is Egypt – a,1.68 euros) in Southeast Asia.

• Like 2

It is not about the money. It is simply confusing, inefficient and open to interpretation.

It would have been better to increase the standard taxi fare a little bit instead of a new additional fee.

Tourist will not know the new law and some might assume that is scam. The taxi driver needs additional explaining which is often difficult because of the language barriers. Then the taxi driver might interpretate the fees in his own way. Also it might add some red tape for the taxi drivers as well.

Now tourists needs to know 4 things if  they want to take a taxi:

- airport fee

- highway fees

- taxi fare

- baggage fees

Edited by dtpman83
  • Like 2

On 11/18/2020 at 5:44 PM, soi3eddie said:

This may be spreading. Just dropped off GF at Ekkamai to get the bus to Pattaya (big bus 119 Baht). There was a new table of prices in the ticket booth window saying something about baggage fees at 20 Baht for a 20kg bag to go in the hold. Only had 5 minutes and hand carry so grabbed ticket and took her directly to the bus so no pic of fares. Would be interesting to see if all land transport carriers now start charging for bags. My guess is that they will. 

This is not new.... Above 20Kg there has been a charge of 20Thb for a long time..... Again don't complain any luggage over 30Kg in any airport in the world is not even handled......

On 11/18/2020 at 6:52 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Does that include the taxis that have a gas tank in the boot. Then your suitcase is half hanging out and secured with an old bungee cord, and getting pelted with rain...............:smile:

All taxis here have an LPG tank... Don't come in rainy season... Upon thinking more... don't come at all... 

• Sad 1

On 11/18/2020 at 9:36 AM, SomchaiCNX said:

Stupid rule. Better check the drivers. Had one at the airport that seemed under the influence. Plenty of these cars would be removed from the road in many countries.

Seemed under the influence is not a fact.... You could easily have taken a different taxi....If people like you didn't complain that much about prices and everything here , maybe, they could afford a more recent car.... 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

All taxis here have an LPG tank... Don't come in rainy season... Upon thinking more... don't come at all... 

You must be a taxi driver.............I was reporting the fact that if you have to pay to convey your bags then they should at least be secure, and protected. Also, re your post don't come at all.....i have lived here for 26 years, the past 4 without leaving as I am happily retired.

Seems to me by the posts you make that you either got out of bed on the wrong side, or have a chip on your shoulder.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

You must be a taxi driver.............I was reporting the fact that if you have to pay to convey your bags then they should at least be secure, and protected. Also, re your post don't come at all.....i have lived here for 26 years, the past 4 without leaving as I am happily retired.

Seems to me by the posts you make that you either got out of bed on the wrong side, or have a chip on your shoulder.

555555. I didn't just come outta bed, already 3 glasses of whisky later. But if you don't like my sense of humor you can just skip my posts... Will save you some time to carry on living happily retired....:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Seemed under the influence is not a fact.... You could easily have taken a different taxi....If people like you didn't complain that much about prices and everything here , maybe, they could afford a more recent car.... 

Did you ever employ (Thai) people with a "drug" problem? I did and I can tell you they did not where a sign on their head telling it. It takes a while before you realize there is a problem. Maybe if he stayed clean he could afford a better taxi? Just shows there is no strict control on drivers nor cars that are allowed to pick you up from the airport. Rules yes, plenty, but no enforcement. At an international airport you may expect a certain standard of service at a controlled taxi boot. And yes, I have refused to go with certain drivers and changed taxis. Where do I complain about the prices? I'm talking about the services provided.

Edited by SomchaiCNX