Gabapentin plus Tramadol

glegolo

Hi guys, I am also looking for answer from Sheryl, but you guys with experience may also help out

if you like with this.

My wife (thai) have had a wipflash-thing going on in her neck now for a couple of years... She have had some medicines but nothing seems to help her out painwise.... Now yesterday she was at the general hospital here in Chaiyaphum,. and they have more or less decided to grant her an operation.

My problem is the following with her meds that they gave her.... She was given Gabapentin PLUS Tramadol. When I read the swedish instructions about Gabapentin it clearly says that  Opiodes strengthen the effect of the Gabapentin, and maybe that is not good.....

So Sheryl, do you have any idea or opinion about this, shall I just let it go and trust these doctors here?? Or??

thanks guys

glegolo

• 3 weeks later...

I have found Gabapentin to be a key solution for long term pain relief. The problem is getting it prescribed in the correct dosage. 

I've attached an article I wrote. I would hold off on the operation till you've given this a try. Basically, you need to drastically increase the amount of gaba to 1500-2000 mg for serious pain relief (and possibly double that). It's a far better approach than anything else out there. Tramadol is an opiate and highly addictive. It's bad news. 

By the way, gabapentin is available online (Vitacost or iHerb) at greatly reduced prices then buying it here. 

Good luck

Gaba is THE Drug for Chronic Pain.pdf

Edited by Pinot
  • Thanks 2

On 11/17/2020 at 3:42 PM, glegolo said:

Hi guys, I am also looking for answer from Sheryl, but you guys with experience may also help out

if you like with this.

My wife (thai) have had a wipflash-thing going on in her neck now for a couple of years... She have had some medicines but nothing seems to help her out painwise.... Now yesterday she was at the general hospital here in Chaiyaphum,. and they have more or less decided to grant her an operation.

My problem is the following with her meds that they gave her.... She was given Gabapentin PLUS Tramadol. When I read the swedish instructions about Gabapentin it clearly says that  Opiodes strengthen the effect of the Gabapentin, and maybe that is not good.....

So Sheryl, do you have any idea or opinion about this, shall I just let it go and trust these doctors here?? Or??

thanks guys

glegolo

Really?

I mean cheryl is an excellent resource, but I doubt she would even answer that as a medical professional. It would be incredibly irresponsible.

If you are concerned seek actual medical advice. - outside the country if you must.

edit: And it would seem I am wrong. 

Who seeks medical advice on thaivisa. Its insane.

Edited by n00dle

6 hours ago, n00dle said:

Really?

I mean cheryl is an excellent resource, but I doubt she would even answer that as a medical professional. It would be incredibly irresponsible.

If you are concerned seek actual medical advice. - outside the country if you must.

edit: And it would seem I am wrong. 

Who seeks medical advice on thaivisa. Its insane.

I think there is room enough for a medical educated person here to guide us amateurs a bit, in the jungle of medicines.... I think you are way too negative....

And in all this with different things over the years I have been given good help here which helped me to make well throught over descions..

I think you are way too much negative and probably shouldn´t read this forum if it bothers you so much. Maybe you also think that the VISA-forum is the wrong place to seek advise when there is Immigration to talk to???

glegolo

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pinot said:

I have found Gabapentin to be a key solution for long term pain relief. The problem is getting it prescribed in the correct dosage. 

I've attached an article I wrote. I would hold off on the operation till you've given this a try. Basically, you need to drastically increase the amount of gaba to 1500-2000 mg for serious pain relief (and possibly double that). It's a far better approach than anything else out there. Tramadol is an opiate and highly addictive. It's bad news. 

By the way, gabapentin is available online (Vitacost or iHerb) at greatly reduced prices then buying it here. 

Good luck

Gaba is THE Drug for Chronic Pain.pdfUnavailable

Do NOT self medicate with gaba and up the dosage on your own etc

There are serious adverse effects especially at high dosages

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2020 at 10:21 PM, Pinot said:

Good luck

Gaba is THE Drug for Chronic Pain.pdf 43.35 kB · 3 downloads

Is Gabapentin addictive?

I recently bought some for 7 baht for a 300 mg tablet in the local drug store, no prescription. 

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Is Gabapentin addictive?

I recently bought some for 7 baht for a 300 mg tablet in the local drug store, no prescription. 

It is not addictive in the sense of opioids. However, abrupt discontinuation can cause problems and it is better tapered off.

It really should not be self-prescribed. Should only be taken under medical supervision. Serious side effects and getting the dosage right can be complex.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is not addictive in the sense of opioids. However, abrupt discontinuation can cause problems and it is better tapered off.

It really should not be self-prescribed. Should only be taken under medical supervision. Serious side effects and getting the dosage right can be complex.

I heard it acts on the same receptors as benzodiazepines, which are highly addictive, with withdrawals more serious and painful/long-lasting than opiates,.

Addictive is a word that in itself isn't always life-threatening. Coffee is addictive, yet many freely get addicted to this psychotropic drug. 

On 12/9/2020 at 12:17 AM, Neeranam said:

Is Gabapentin addictive?

No, but you need to taper off. Taking a single dose of Gaba is useless. 

On 12/9/2020 at 11:58 AM, Sheryl said:

The problem Sheryl, is that very few doctors know how to prescribe it in correct the dosage. If you go onto forums that discuss Gaba and get into it, almost all Doctors are clueless. They will prescribe it, just incorrectly. A dose of 300mg is useless which is what they commonly recommend. 

I'm not a Doctor but I have studied Gaba extensively. I recommend if you're having persistent pain issues that you do your own research because a doctor and specifically a Thai doctor will not give you reliable information. 

I take 1000mg a day and I've taken it for years. I'm pain free and was suffering for years before I found how to use Gaba.   

On 12/9/2020 at 4:10 PM, Neeranam said:

I heard it acts on the same receptors as benzodiazepines, which are highly addictive, with withdrawals more serious and painful/long-lasting than opiates,.

Addictive is a word that in itself isn't always life-threatening. Coffee is addictive, yet many freely get addicted to this psychotropic drug. 

The exact way Gaba works is a mystery. They can guess but they don't know for sure.   

Benzodiazepines are addictive. Gaba is not. 

Edited by Pinot

21 minutes ago, Pinot said:

No, but you need to taper off. Taking a single dose of Gaba is useless. 

The problem Sheryl, is that very few doctors know how to prescribe it in correct the dosage. If you go onto forums that discuss Gaba and get into it, almost all Doctors are clueless. They will prescribe it, just incorrectly. A dose of 300mg is useless which is what they commonly recommend. 

I'm not a Doctor but I have studied Gaba extensively. I recommend if you're having persistent pain issues that you do your own research because a doctor and specifically a Thai doctor will not give you reliable information. 

I take 1000mg a day and I've taken it for years. I'm pain free and was suffering for years before I found how to use Gaba.   

The exact way Gaba works is a mystery. They can guess but they don't know for sure.   

Benzodiazepines are addictive. Gaba is not. 

The exact way Gaba works is a mystery.

Well Gabapentin is in the same chemical family tree as Quaaludes......Gabapentin effects to me feel a tiny bit similar but extremely mild with little abuse potential... 

44 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks for the post! 

Bit confused as why you would have to taper off a non addictive medicine. 

Because while nto addictive in the sense of physical withdrawal symptoms it alters/rewires  your neurochemistry in ways that need to be gradually undone.

Its primary approved use is to control seizures. Suddenly stopping it can lead to severe, intractable seizures. Taken for something else, suddenly stopping can lead to sever anxiety, irritability, confusion etc

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/722526

• Like 1

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

The exact way Gaba works is a mystery.

Well Gabapentin is in the same chemical family tree as Quaaludes......Gabapentin effects to me feel a tiny bit similar but extremely mild with little abuse potential... 

Quaaludes? Methaqualone is a sedative that increases the activity of the GABA receptors in the brain and nervous system, similarly to benzodiazepines and barbiturates. 

Gaba does work as a mild sleep aid. 

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Because while nto addictive in the sense of physical withdrawal symptoms it alters/rewires  your neurochemistry in ways that need to be gradually undone.

Its primary approved use is to control seizures. Suddenly stopping it can lead to severe, intractable seizures. Taken for something else, suddenly stopping can lead to sever anxiety, irritability, confusion etc

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/722526

There is also a slight statistical increase in suicide rate. It's good to know this stuff. As an alternative to opiates I think these things are minor compared to the relief it may offer people dealing with pain.

Bottom line, Gaba can be heaven sent alternative for those dealing with pain issues and certainly worth trying before highly addictive codeine or opiates. I think you're going to find that the medical establishment is clueless when it comes to how to use it. Do your own research. 

• Like 2