1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

I am sure it was already a nightmare last year

not sure for 2 years ago in Pattaya, but it was a

big concern in Chiang Mai area 3 or 4 years ago already

and it seems to be worse years after years

it coud be linked to the fall on the rice price after the end

of the Taksin rice schem with the farmers skiping in mass

to sugar cane instead

You are right that this is the reason for the increase in pollution so rapidly these last two years, the sugar cane fields are being burned to save work. This poses a great health risk and is now the tombstone for tourism and expatriates.

• Like 1

Its been bad for years in mid-January to mid-February period.  I go back and look at old photos from 10 years ago and all the shots from Jan-Feb are set against a gruesome, gray background.  I'm thinking about the Caribbean, too.  When this Covid is over, it will be time for a recon mission.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LALes said:

Its been bad for years in mid-January to mid-February period.  I go back and look at old photos from 10 years ago and all the shots from Jan-Feb are set against a gruesome, gray background.  I'm thinking about the Caribbean, too.  When this Covid is over, it will be time for a recon mission.

It's certainly been bad for decades in Bangkok.  We're just more aware of it these days, due to social media and the availability of AQI monitoring - and the marketing of air purifiers and N95 masks!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

fact:  

humans are very bad at figuring out long-term risks that will kill them.

bottom line:  Idiots.    

future headline:  idiot farang dies after breathing death air for 20-years.   cue the laughter

Some people even smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol!  

31 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

My 100% reliable app is called looking out the window.....

Isn’t the smog, neither the clear air or view out of your window. Are just the invisible nanoparticles known as PM2.5, which can penetrate deep into the respiratory system and trigger a variety of diseases, including cancer. You should close your window. I use air purifier and air acon 24 hours here in North Chiang Mai.

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1

'Nanoparticles' is a bit different.

Ultrafine dust or ultrafine particles (UFP) are usually particles in the air with a diameter between 1 and 100 nanometers (nm). In addition to the PM10 and PM2.5 fractions, the UFP fraction is the smallest particle of fine dust.

Well, I would be happy, if the PM2.5 story would improve.

On 2/5/2021 at 9:06 AM, Banana7 said:

Here are a few photos from 4 Feb 2021 morning in Pattaya. Can't see Koh Larn island or anything in Pattaya Bay, or further out in the gulf.

IMG_5014~photo.JPG

You can see the Sun. Just how far do you want to see? :biggrin:

• Like 1