Can my Thai/American daughter leave Thailand without a Thai passport?

I have an interesting query here. I'm an American and left Thailand back in June. My Thai wife is currently in Thailand waiting for her green card to be approved. Our daughter, who is dual nationality, is with her. She is two years old, has an American passport but no Thai passport. It's my understanding that in order for her to obtain a Thai passport, both parents have to physically appear to apply. 

Will there be a problem when they leave Thailand, as our daughter has no stamp in her American passport (she's never left the country). And if so, then what are some solutions? 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes she can leave with out stamp on American passport because she have a birth certificate proven she was born in Thailand, therefore no stamp

Well a couple of thoughts.   For most of us with dual nationality kids, they use their farang passport at check in, and Thai passport at immigration, for TM-6 purposes or it gets messy

If she has a passport to travel then there should be no problem and you can apply for her Thai passport at the Embassy in The US... That’s what you can do in The UK...

Well a couple of thoughts.

For most of us with dual nationality kids, they use their farang passport at check in, and Thai passport at immigration, for TM-6 purposes or it gets messy

I'm trying to think back, but when our son was born in Singapore, I didn't need to go to the Embassy to get his Thai passport, my wife did it by herself.

Now that was over 20 years ago so things may have changed

• Like 1
11 hours ago, durianfan said:

I have an interesting query here. I'm an American and left Thailand back in June. My Thai wife is currently in Thailand waiting for her green card to be approved. Our daughter, who is dual nationality, is with her. She is two years old, has an American passport but no Thai passport. It's my understanding that in order for her to obtain a Thai passport, both parents have to physically appear to apply. 

Will there be a problem when they leave Thailand, as our daughter has no stamp in her American passport (she's never left the country). And if so, then what are some solutions? 

No problem for her mother to get a Thai passport for her daughter, she does not need your permission and you do not need to appear. My wife did our eldest daughter's Thai passport because we were fed up having to renew her 12month extensions every year and doing 90 day reports. You must get a Thai passport in order to leave the country and then she shows her U.S. passport when she arrives in the U.S. If she comes back she does the same in reverse. Don't show the U.S. passport for an entry stamp when she comes back to Thailand, use the Thai passport. (They will want to see the exit stamp in the U.S. passport).

1 hour ago, Estrada said:

No problem for her mother to get a Thai passport for her daughter, she does not need your permission and you do not need to appear. My wife did our eldest daughter's Thai passport because we were fed up having to renew her 12month extensions every year and doing 90 day reports. You must get a Thai passport in order to leave the country and then she shows her U.S. passport when she arrives in the U.S. If she comes back she does the same in reverse. Don't show the U.S. passport for an entry stamp when she comes back to Thailand, use the Thai passport. (They will want to see the exit stamp in the U.S. passport).

The US doesn't use exit stamps in passports.

58 minutes ago, picctrainop said:

If she has a passport to travel then there should be no problem and you can apply for her Thai passport at the Embassy in The US... That’s what you can do in The UK...

Each time my daughter, Thai/UK, has left Thailand she has needed a Thai passport to leave.

When we applied for her Thai passport we were both present and both needed to sign some forms.

It is my understanding that there is a document you can sign in absentia. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Estrada said:

No problem for her mother to get a Thai passport for her daughter, she does not need your permission and you do not need to appear.

My daughter's Thai mother was not allowed a Thai passport for my daughter without me being present and give permission; it might depend of the passport office.

16 hours ago, durianfan said:

The best thing is to get a Thai passport.

Your wife should check with the passport office if she can get a passport without the father's permission, or there is some document that can be accepted for power of attorney. However, when we applied for the first passport for my half-Thai daughter the passport office insisted on me being present, and would not accept a power of attorner, but different passport offices, might have slightly different regulations, as it's often the case in Thailand.

I recall a post in an earlier thread stating something about that there are no overstay fees for minor children, in reply to a question about leaving Thailand with a foreign passport.

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Your wife should check with the passport office if she can get a passport without the father's permission

By some margin the very best advice so far in this thread.  In just a few posts I have learnt that the answer to the question "do both parents have to be present" is Yes, No and Maybe.

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Each time my daughter, Thai/UK, has left Thailand she has needed a Thai passport to leave.

When we applied for her Thai passport we were both present and both needed to sign some forms.

It is my understanding that there is a document you can sign in absentia. 

I'm not sure why that would be. My daughter (dual Thai-British nationality) has left Thailand many times on her British passport. The first time was when she was less than a year old, when she had only a British passport.

Thereafter, she has always left Thailand on whichever passport she entered with (as you must). Sometimes she's used her British passport to enter and leave, sometimes her Thai one (depending on how long she was staying).

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1