If I Share a Room in an ASQ Hotel with my Thai partner and son do I have to pay for them ?

On 11/19/2020 at 12:49 PM, jimn said:

You are wrong. Sharing an ASQ room if not married is not allowed by order of the Thai government. Where do you get this false info from?

There were few ASQ's that offered to accomodate us together, despite us not being married.

I did use one of them and everything went well

2 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

There were few ASQ's that offered to accomodate us together, despite us not being married.

I did use one of them and everything went well

Why dont you name it? It is against Thai Government rules.

On 11/25/2020 at 6:07 PM, ubonjoe said:

Can you post a link for the rules that say it is not allowed.

Apologies for the delay in responding I have been pushing for an answer to your question but have not had any luck. Its just one of those unwritte rules that the hotels are following. If you are not married you cant share, if anyone does not believe me just try booking a double room without a marriage certificate. I have heard of unmarried parents sharing together with a child but the birth certificate naming both parents must be produced.

4 hours ago, jimn said:

Apologies for the delay in responding I have been pushing for an answer to your question but have not had any luck. Its just one of those unwritte rules that the hotels are following. If you are not married you cant share, if anyone does not believe me just try booking a double room without a marriage certificate. I have heard of unmarried parents sharing together with a child but the birth certificate naming both parents must be produced.

Thanks for the info, it wouldn’t be a problem as we have a son but at the moment after calculating what it would cost it is out of the question.

16 hours ago, jimn said:

I'm sure it must be in the requirements somewhere, otherwise why would a hotel put this on their website?  This is from the Avani FAQs.

Q13. Can families share a hotel room?

Yes, we have Family Rooms to cater for families up to four persons. A copy of the parents’ marriage certificate as well as children’s birth certificate must be submitted when making the Alternative State Quarantine hotel reservation. A waiver must be signed agreeing that all family members will be admitted into hospital quarantine should any of the family members tests positive for COVID-19.

Q.14 Can friends or unmarried couples share a hotel room?

No. Only married couples and families can share a room.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, suuki said:

can give a tip the hotel you stayed at

When the first 12 ASQ's were announced, we write to all of them and 3 responded with consent, one of which we used. the likes of Ananthara said No. But there are 4-5* facilities which accept. 

Suggest you make a email template and send it to all the ASQ's  asking if they accept unmarried couples.

For clarification; we have been living overseas for a few years and returning to Thailand with Kids.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:49 AM, jimn said:

You are wrong. Sharing an ASQ room if not married is not allowed by order of the Thai government. Where do you get this false info from?

Where does this regulation appear? There are board members insisting that there is no such government regulation, it is up to the hotel.

On 12/16/2020 at 5:59 PM, Danderman123 said:

Where does this regulation appear? There are board members insisting that there is no such government regulation, it is up to the hotel.

I am not going to go over this again. There is a large Thai government document but it is all in Thai. You have to be married to share an ASQ hotel. Some may consider a registered Civil parnership. I have on all my time as part on the online Facebook groups seen 1 non married couple with a baby being allowec to share and this required a letter from the embassy. Ok thats it.

On 11/25/2020 at 11:07 AM, ubonjoe said:

Can you post a link for the rules that say it is not allowed.

I made an enquiry at an ASQ Hotel, they said among the documents required was a Marriage Certificate, this was their reply when I said not all hotels require a Marriage Certificate.

‘Please advise which Hotel because this is Government Law to control ASQ Hotel’

4 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

You've obviously spent all of your time in Thailand hanging around red light districts. 

Marriage is a thing of the past, plenty of people co habit globally nothing to do with living in or near red light districts.

If all you can do is insult me don’t reply to my comments in future.

Just now, from the home of CC said:

this is not the place for accurate information, implement it at your own risk..

The idea of a forum is to pass on any helpful info, accurate or not, I have had some very helpful info from Thai Visa Forums over the years.

I would never try to implement any information which wasn’t accurate.

4 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The idea of a forum is to pass on any helpful info, accurate or not, I have had some very helpful info from Thai Visa Forums over the years.

I would never try to implement any information which wasn’t accurate.

nah. the idea of a 'forum' for the most part is to bloviate anonymously. And how can inaccurate info be in any way helpful? This is the last place (other than immigration doc downloads) I would seek out information as important as the op originally queried about, but to each their own..

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

nah. the idea of a 'forum' for the most part is to bloviate anonymously. And how can inaccurate info be in any way helpful? This is the last place (other than immigration doc downloads) I would seek out information as important as the op originally queried about, but to each their own..

You don’t need to heed any advice, you glean what you want from it.

I have found a couple of hotels which will accept us without a Marriage Certificate but the prices are eye watering for the 3 three of us, around £2000 and that’s one of the cheapest ones in Pattaya.

How can they justify the cost when the cost to stay for a similar period is only £600 in normal times.
Its a difference of £1400 surely all the testing etc doesn’t equate to that ? 

10 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

This is the last place (other than immigration doc downloads) I would seek out information as important as the op originally queried about, but to each their own..

Each to their own indeed. 

I have found this forum to be and incredibly useful resource - Visa Information, which Doctors are recommended, Insurance recommendations, I have a couple of friends who can thank this forum for the birth of their children (after getting recommendations for good IVF clinics), how to source items, discussions on laws, football groups to join (back in the day), where to get good motorcycle gear.... Ask a question and there is always someone with first hand information to help or someone with excellent advice. 

That said, there are also tools who want to give advice without really knowing, they try, but they muddy the waters, so answers most definitely have to be filtered, but after reading this forum for a number of years and contributing regularly, some of it helpful (I hope), a lot of it just rubbish - I know this forum can be an excellent resource, a source of entertainment, sometimes a source of frustration with the rubbish so often spouted...  As you wrote, each to their own, but this forum can be a better source of information than the original confusing source, especially when deciphering government information. 

Recently this forum was most useful in obtaining my CoE - I was an early ‘returnee’ in July and the discussions on this forum at the time helped me get things right. 

As soon as I’d returned I presented my experiences on a thread about obtaining the CoE and returning to quarantine to help others who may be going through the same process. I also helped plenty of people who approached me through PM. 

Thus, by all means be cynical, but don’t automatically disregard threads such as these, because ultimately, when filtered intelligently, they are a gold mine for those needing information. 

4 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I have found a couple of hotels which will accept us without a Marriage Certificate but the prices are eye watering for the 3 three of us, around £2000 and that’s one of the cheapest ones in Pattaya.

How can they justify the cost when the cost to stay for a similar period is only £600 in normal times.
Its a difference of £1400 surely all the testing etc doesn’t equate to that ? 

£2000 / 80,000 baht may not be so bad. 

Your comparison of £600 / 25,000 baht equates to 1660 per night (for one adult or two?)

The equivalent cost to a Single occupancy £600 room stay under covid conditions (with tests and food etc as listed below) is approximately 45,000 for the two weeks (yes, I worked it out based on the costs listed below).

Thus in presenting an equal - or like for like comparison your costs are approximately 35,000 baht (£865) more for having a 2 adult & 1 child occupancy (if the rooms quoted are still small 24sqm rooms).

Costs: 

2x Covid tests each adult (at 6000 baht each) = 24,000 baht

3 Meals per day, x 15 days, x2 adults (500 per day each) = 15,000 baht

Transport from Airport = 600 baht

Water for two weeks = 1000 baht

Other additional costs: Laundry, Nurse Charge, PPE: estimate about 2000 baht per stay

That leaves the room at approximately 2840 per night, which doesn’t seem so extreme when it covers 3 of you especially IF the room quoted was a suite or a two bedroomed apartment, but may be a lot of 3 of you are going to be cramped into a 24sqm room for 15 days. 

Keep contacting the ASQ’s, one of them may come up with a better deal etc.

Additionally: At some point someone will be travelling back with their family and looking a decent non expensive options. 

The Marriage thing is an issue, but as you’ve found out, it's not a show stopper. 

Best of luck. 

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Each to their own indeed. 

I have found this forum to be and incredibly useful resource - Visa Information, which Doctors are recommended, Insurance recommendations, I have a couple of friends who can thank this forum for the birth of their children (after getting recommendations for good IVF clinics), how to source items, discussions on laws, football groups to join (back in the day), where to get good motorcycle gear.... Ask a question and there is always someone with first hand information to help or someone with excellent advice. 

That said, there are also tools who want to give advice without really knowing, they try, but they muddy the waters, so answers most definitely have to be filtered, but after reading this forum for a number of years and contributing regularly, some of it helpful (I hope), a lot of it just rubbish - I know this forum can be an excellent resource, a source of entertainment, sometimes a source of frustration with the rubbish so often spouted...  As you wrote, each to their own, but this forum can be a better source of information than the original confusing source, especially when deciphering government information. 

Recently this forum was most useful in obtaining my CoE - I was an early ‘returnee’ in July and the discussions on this forum at the time helped me get things right. 

As soon as I’d returned I presented my experiences on a thread about obtaining the CoE and returning to quarantine to help others who may be going through the same process. I also helped plenty of people who approached me through PM. 

Thus, by all means be cynical, but don’t automatically disregard threads such as these, because ultimately, when filtered intelligently, they are a gold mine for those needing information. 

I'm happy for you but as I say to each their own. imo if your want is accurate information, go to the source..

• 4 weeks later...

Archived