Ko Lipe: Finding quiet spots on one of Thailand's most popular islands

Thailand Explore

Ko Lipe: Finding quiet spots on one of Thailand's most popular islands

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_db59fe1c-70ee-4350-8f61-1a45043822f5_6000x4000.jpeg

Setting out from the Urak Lawoi-owned Gipsy Resort.

Welcome to the fourth in a series of five posts covering the Butang (Adang) archipelago in the far southwest of Thailand. If you missed the first three posts, check out Ko Adang and Ko Rawi, and then learn about the indigenous people of Ko Lipe.

Ko Lipe changed radically over the past 15 years, perhaps more than any other Thai island. In 2006, this four-square-km island had a total of 23 lodgings overlooking the marvelous beaches and sandy trails. By 2019 that number had jumped to over 100, including several large-scale resorts and inland hotels. Sidecar motorbike taxis clogged newly paved lanes as crowds piled on to Walking Street.

By my first visit in 2011, residents and devoted long-stay travelers seemed to know what was is in store for the boomerang-shaped island they loved. I like to think that I saw some of the last breaths of an older and mellower Ko Lipe during that trip, a moment before mass tourism tightened its grasp.

Some of the “old hands” left the island permanently after selling their bungalows and beach bars. Others stuck around, however, and echoes of the days before mass tourism can still be heard in places. Whenever I visit Ko Lipe nowadays, I always start with a long, slow walk to spots that remind me of what it was like before.

Continue reading: https://thaiislandtimes.substack.com/p/ko-lipe-finding-quiet-spots-on-one

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Expat Explore said:

By my first visit in 2011, residents and devoted long-stay travelers seemed to know what was is in store for the boomerang-shaped island they loved. I like to think that I saw some of the last breaths of an older and mellower Ko Lipe during that trip, a moment before mass tourism tightened its grasp.

We went in 2010. The corals were the best I've seen in Thailand, since I don't scuba, just access by snorkeling. Back then there was one modern newly built group of bungalows and mostly sandy trails. The simple grilled seafood went so well with the laid back ambience. There was already an unpaved walking lane with Thai standard, burgers, and breakfast shops running across the midline of Lipe. 

0259IMG_0297.JPG

• Like 2