How tourism and a national park pushed the indigenous people of Ko Lipe into a corner

Thailand Explore

How tourism and a national park pushed the indigenous people of Ko Lipe into a corner

David Luekens

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_1d243ea2-c0b4-4841-a006-fd523995e4c8_6000x4000.jpeg

Urak Lawoi kids head home to their village on Ko Lipe at dusk in March 2017.

More than a century ago, boat-loving people turned a tropical archipelago into their home and lived off the sea and jungle. After a while, outsiders pushed them aside in a burst of state-sanctioned conservation and profit-driven tourism, two things that are more related than you might think. This is the story of the Urak Lawoi people of the Butang (or Adang) archipelago in Thailand’s Lower Andaman Sea.

I’ll preface this fascinating story by pointing out that many of the archipelago’s islands have two commonly used names — one from the old Malayo-Polynesian dialect of the Urak Lawoi natives and the other coined by Thai people who took hold of these islands more recently. These baseline disagreements hint at the friction that surrounds so much of the archipelago’s history.

For example, the Urak Lawoi call the archipelago’s fifth largest island Pulau Bitsi (“Iron Island”) while Thais refer to it as Ko Lek or “Small Island.” The commonly used name for the third largest island, Ko Tong, is a Thai rendering of the original Urak Lawoi name, Pulau Betak or “Bamboo Island.” As for the fourth largest island, the name Ko Lipe comes from the Urak Lawoi nipih, meaning “flat.”

Continue reading: https://thaiislandtimes.substack.com/p/the-urak-lawoi-people-of-the-butang

• Sad 1

I came to Thailand after watching The Beach and Brokedown Palace. That really put Thailand on the map for younger people I think. It was great for tourism and bringing in foreign money, but it comes at a cost. 

While in Hat Yai, we were told to by a Thai to visit Koh Lipe. The island that mostly Thais went to for their holidays. When we went, there were no roads. Only a dirt path going through the middle of the island with wooden signs telling you where you to find the beaches. You had to bring your flashlights as it was pitch black at night. No cars, only the odd scooter. It was unspoiled. Sad to hear what’s become of it. I haven’t been there since 2004... not sure I’ll go back anytime soon. 

You can thank the travel bloggers and vloggers. ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, DeusExMachinaBKK said:

I came to Thailand after watching The Beach and Brokedown Palace. That really put Thailand on the map for younger people I think. It was great for tourism and bringing in foreign money, but it comes at a cost. 

While in Hat Yai, we were told to by a Thai to visit Koh Lipe. The island that mostly Thais went to for their holidays. When we went, there were no roads. Only a dirt path going through the middle of the island with wooden signs telling you where you to find the beaches. You had to bring your flashlights as it was pitch black at night. No cars, only the odd scooter. It was unspoiled. Sad to hear what’s become of it. I haven’t been there since 2004... not sure I’ll go back anytime soon. 

You can thank the travel bloggers and vloggers. ????

I've just looked on google maps, I see there's even a walking street there now Lol and a beach named Pattaya beach for goodness sake, progress is such a shame.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I've just looked on google maps, I see there's even a walking street there now Lol and a beach named Pattaya beach for goodness sake, progress is such a shame.

Yes but OMG still no Pin-Up, Palace, or Baccara

IMG_20201104_165504.jpg.4d700ad4fb3be710595f3aa21fc620fc.jpg