Kamala official defends carrying gun in surfing class raid

webfact

Kamala official defends carrying gun in surfing class raid

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1605674854_1-org.jpg

Mr Sanya said he has the right to carry a firearm in public as he previously served as Kathu District Chief. Photo: Kamala OrBorTor

PHUKET: Sanya Khonpian, Chief Legal Officer at the Kamala Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor), has defended his decision to carry a sidearm while raiding a surfing class being conducted on Kamala Beach.

Mr Sanya is at the centre of a Thai media storm over him carrying a firearm while carrying out the raid on Monday morning (Nov 16), with a formal police complaint filed against him for carrying a firearm in a public area without a permit or necessary reason.

Kamala Chief Police Col Chaiyapreuk Phadiwarakorn confirmed to The Phuket News that the formal complaint was filed by Jirachaya Sitthichoke, who conducted the surfing class on the beach.

Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/kamala-official-defends-carrying-gun-in-surfing-class-raid-78018.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-11-18

• Haha 2

<deleted>>>>>> did he think perhaps his life might have been in danger?
they hold those classes in front of the intercontinental seems just about every afternoon>
what the big deal??

Mr Sanya Khonpian told The Phuket News this morning that the raid was conducted as the surfing class was being conducted on a part of the beach where all commercial activities are banned.

thats where the jet skis are now, also the para sail boats, ( just came out a few days ago)   not to mention they have been renting surfboards there for months

Edited by zzzzz

It's not as though they are taking valuable beach space away from the tourists!

Why can't they just allow a bit of discretion in these difficult times? I suppose the obvious answer to this is that they are encroaching into someone else's territory.

Small person syndrome. 'I am an impotent man, I need big gun, same my gun'. Even when he was a big boss in Kathu why would he need a pistol? 

As an Enforcement Officer I take it he didn't notice that the beach clubs he would have walked past have put traffic cones on the Public Highway to grab parking for themselves and stop others from legally using it. I guess their pockets are deeper that the surfers.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Sanya is at the centre of a Thai media storm over him carrying a firearm while carrying out the raid on Monday morning (Nov 16), with a formal police complaint filed against him for carrying a firearm in a public area without a permit or necessary reason.

He obviously thought it was necessary enough, maybe the temperament of the surfing club class is questionable.