Import license to receive package stuck in UPS customs?

creative1000

Hi Community,

My family will be sending me some new electronics from the USA (a new model not available in Thailand yet). What is the easiest way for me to receive the package? I am more than happy to pay the appropriate customs fee's if needed. I just don't want to deal with any bureaucratic extra-curricular paperwork nonsense. Is this only a UPS issue?

I've read a number of reports over the past 9 months of individuals being asked by UPS to have an import license to receive their own package, often requiring travel to BKK or handing the local UPS office your original passport (not certified copies) which they will mail to BKK to continue their process.... I've heard some people had to hire an importer to receive their package on their behalf...

Edited by creative1000

What exactly is the "new electronics"?

Some technology is no problem, other devices require permits and licences (which you are unlikely to ever obtain).

Labelling is also a potential issue, one member had a problem with some wire and aluminium tubing because it was labelled as "antenna", and do not EVER use the word "medical" on anything. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Some technology is no problem, other devices require permits and licences (which you are unlikely to ever obtain).

Labelling is also a potential issue, one member had a problem with some wire and aluminium tubing because it was labelled as "antenna", and do not EVER use the word "medical" on anything. 

Or "toy". Where possible use the unified system number.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Sony PS5 I reckon !!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Sony PS5 I reckon !!

haha yes that is one of the items (still waiting on them to ship pre-orders), as well as a higher-end model coffee machine from a black friday sale.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll have my people at home repackage it, send it via USPS, put it in my wife's name, and happily pay any normal-amount of tax if need be, and avoid having to fly to BKK to get a commercial importer license for personal property. 

Edited by creative1000