Any easy way to paint a tiled house roof.

tomgreen

My Thai wife’s 65 year old widowed mother has asked me to paint the roof of her house , the roof is standard interlocking roof tiles that were originally painted a blue color . But now the roof tiles are faded

and are in need of repainting.

The wife's mother does not want any thing fancy done to her house roof , just repainted. I know which paint to buy , and have the necessary ladders and access to the roof is not a problem, but looking at the whole large roof area I think it would take me some considerable time to hand paint those old roof tiles with a normal hand paint brush. My wife told me that her mother has had some bad experiences with using the village handy men , so Ive been asked.

Any thought on a way to repaint the roof tiles that would be easier than using a hand paint brush . The mother does not have the money to purchase any expensive painting equipment that may only be needed once in a blue moon .

Thanks , Tom

I personally would use a Sprayer.

As its a Roof, you are not going to get as much wastage from the Nozzle as you would say if painting a Fence.

Look at a cheap Sprayer that can possibly be trashed after the job is finished without a big loss financially.

Just my own thoughts on the subject.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I personally would use a Sprayer.

As its a Roof, you are not going to get as much wastage from the Nozzle as you would say if painting a Fence.

Look at a cheap Sprayer that can possibly be trashed after the job is finished without a big loss financially.

Just my own thoughts on the subject.

Painting needs either airless running at 3,000psi to 6,000psi, extremely expensive, compressor quite expensive or turbine, again not cheap.

So IMNSHO bad advice for single use.

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Are you Thai? ???? 

Not more than 5%. If you can’t spray at that dilution your equipment isn’t good enough and using a roller is better.

No mate but it's not my roof and you could go down to 20 percent and still get a good finish. May not last forever but TiT

Not knowing what the underlying structure is like I would like someone to be on the roof for as little time as possible. 

I have just repainted my own house here ( five years old ) and believe me, if the original paint was two coats, I will eat som tam.

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Read the cans, adding more than 10% water will effect the chemistry. So good finish, possibly but the life will be drastically reduced. 

You are correct, so will the preparation add to the life of the job such as removing the existing mold, peeling paint, repointing etc, etc. Like I said "not my roof" 

You can spend a packet if you feel that way but if for the MIL @ 65 years old, who is paying?

We have just had our house repainted. They also did the "Big" roof. That took 2 workers 4 days (Not all at once, allowing drying time) two days + to clean the thing then two days for two coats of paint. They used a spray to do that. So unless you are going to do it properly don't bother. Oh and they didn't water/thin down the paint. Came strait out of the can. 

• Like 1

We pressure washed the roof and sprayed on the roof paint paint using an Iwata W-77 and an Iwata pump. It only took one coat, went quick and looked good. It was TOA roof paint but I'm not sure if it was oil or water based.

Too many voids for roller alone, and a brush & roller would be a nightmare.