Any chance of travelling from the UK any time soon?

My partner moved over to Bangkok in August to be a teacher. My plan was to move over there in early January to move in with him (and take our dog over too), however the only current route I think is valid for a UK national is to secure a job over there first and go over on a working visa. The problem I am having is that it seems that very few places are taking on foreigners and sponsoring work permits at the moment. 

The other option is the 90 day long stay visa, however this doesn't seem to be available on for UK residents at the moment. I have registered my intent to apply and sent over copies of my passport two months ago and the only updates I get when I ask for one is that they have my data on file, without outlining any next steps.

So I have a few questions I'm hoping the forum can help me with!

- Are you aware of any companies that are actively recruiting foreigners and can support with work permits?

- Do you know of any other entry routes for persons from the UK?

- Is the STV open to person from the UK at present?

- Any other advice is massively appreciated

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are more choices now.

If 50 or over you could apply for a OA long stay visa that allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date it is issued.

List of the allowed entries is here with requirement for each one is here.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Spouses of Thais can come. I know of one who arrived last week. Spouses of workers with work permits may fall under the same or similar scheme, however,  you would have to pay for quarantine.  If you give your qualifications you may get more specific help.

8 minutes ago, uncleP said:

Spouses of Thais can come. I know of one who arrived last week. Spouses of workers with work permits may fall under the same or similar scheme, however,  you would have to pay for quarantine.  If you give your qualifications you may get more specific help.

The OP stated "my partner" = not married.

Also did not mention partner Thai.

Partner moved August to teach.

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP stated "my partner" = not married.

Also did not mention partner Thai.

Partner moved August to teach.

If moved in August this year he would need a work permit. I call my wife my partner so let's hear from the op if they have tied the not or not. 

Hi @uncleP and @DrJack54 thanks for coming back to me. Can confirm that we are not married at this time. Also to clarify, my partner over there is British but is living over there with a working visa and sponsorship from the school he works at.

@DrJack54 and @ubonjoe I am 28 to answer your question, thanks again for your help, it is very much appreciated

On 11/18/2020 at 4:59 PM, AlexfromManchester said:

My partner moved over to Bangkok in August to be a teacher. My plan was to move over there in early January to move in with him (and take our dog over too), however the only current route I think is valid for a UK national is to secure a job over there first and go over on a working visa. The problem I am having is that it seems that very few places are taking on foreigners and sponsoring work permits at the moment. 

The other option is the 90 day long stay visa, however this doesn't seem to be available on for UK residents at the moment. I have registered my intent to apply and sent over copies of my passport two months ago and the only updates I get when I ask for one is that they have my data on file, without outlining any next steps.

So I have a few questions I'm hoping the forum can help me with!

- Are you aware of any companies that are actively recruiting foreigners and can support with work permits?

- Do you know of any other entry routes for persons from the UK?

- Is the STV open to person from the UK at present?

- Any other advice is massively appreciated

Virtually no chance.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Virtually no chance.

How about newly updated Single Entry Tourist Visa? Now available from all countries right? Stay 60 days, then extend another +30 or +60 days, and after that purchase 15 months Volunteer visa 'package' from agent)

3 minutes ago, AlexfromManchester said:

@jimn @sallecc is this the same as the special tourist visa? Or is this different? If it is different can you share a link to more info?

my understanding for the special tourist visa is that this is not open to the UK at the moment? Is that right? 

The SETV is different.  Details are on the London Embassy website;

For tourism purpose (single entry tourist visa only)

While Thailand still puts in place travel restriction, tourists who meet the requirements below can apply for single entry tourist visa at www.thaievisa.go.th and the Certificate of Entry to go to Thailand.  

Required documents : 

1. Your passport copy 
  2. Travel booking confirmation
  3. Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel booking, invitation letter from family or friend in Thailand (All tourists are subject to 14-day quarantined at ASQ hotels at their own expenses.)
  4. UK/Irish bank statements with sufficient fund to cover your trip to Thailand
  5. Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland (if applicants are not nationals of these countries) e.g. long stay visa, residence permit, BRP card
  6. Copy of health insurance policy which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses in Thailand no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand
  7. Declaration form

What you need to present at airlines check-in counter and upon arrival in Thailand:

1. The Certificate of Entry 
  2. Declaration for
  3. Fit to Fly health certificate, issued within 72 hours before departure – this is a statement by a doctor that you are free from symptoms and fit to fly (must be separate from COVID test)
  4. COVID-19 test result, with a laboratory output indicating that COVID -19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), issued within 72 hours before departure
  5. Copy of your health insurance policy which covers COVID-19 and no less than 100,000 USD
  6. Copy of your confirmed booking at an ASQ hotel
  7. T.8 form 

8 hours ago, AlexfromManchester said:

@jimn @sallecc is this the same as the special tourist visa? Or is this different? If it is different can you share a link to more info?

my understanding for the special tourist visa is that this is not open to the UK at the moment? Is that right? 

See reply from @Upnotover The Tourist Visa has just this week dropped the heavy finance requirements of £12,800 in a UK bank for 6 months. You still have to do quarantine

3 minutes ago, AlexfromManchester said:

Thanks for the info @Upnotover and @jimn this sounds promising but the bank balance of 500,000 Bhat for 12 months is not something I have right now. May have to get a loan from family and keep it in savings as a last resort, although I’d really hope to be over in Thailand sooner than in six months time

As I said above that requirement has been dropped now.

4 minutes ago, AlexfromManchester said:

Thanks for the info @Upnotover and @jimn this sounds promising but the bank balance of 500,000 Bhat for 12 months is not something I have right now.

There is no longer a requirement to have the 500k baht in the bank for any amount of time to apply for a tourist visa or any other visa.

17 hours ago, AlexfromManchester said:

Thanks for the info @Upnotover and @jimn this sounds promising but the bank balance of 500,000 Bhat for 12 months is not something I have right now. May have to get a loan from family and keep it in savings as a last resort, although I’d really hope to be over in Thailand sooner than in six months time

It is no longer specified by London RTE for the SETV. Go get it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news everyone! My visa has now been processed and I have a single entry tourist visa ready for when I fly on 28th January. 

one thing I hadn’t realised is that only certain companies have a permit to travel to Thailand at the moment. You can find that list here https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/application-for-certificate-of-entry-to-thailand-for-non-thai-nationa? 

I had actually booked with British airways so it will likely be cancelled and I can then book with a different airline. 

certificate of entry was also quite straightforward, all done online. I had to take out COVID travel insurance. I just used the one recommended on the COE website and it cost £112. 

I now just need to confirm my Alternative State Quarantine and add proof to the COE, then I’m good to go! There is a list of ASQ hotels here and I would say that on average, a decent one will probably cost about £1k for the 15 days with all meals included https://thaiest.com/blog/list-of-alternative-state-quarantine-asq-hotels-thailand

the next challenge for me now is to get my dog sorted for travel! My partner is going to sort his import permit etc. out on his side and can pick him straight up from the airport as he will not need to quarantine. Wish me luck!

Good luck!  I tend to not follow visa offerings too closely since I've been in Bangkok for awhile but the STV restrictions seem to have been reduced lately, and the automatic extension of the TR visa from 30 days to 45.

I know a guy here who went on a volunteer visa in September, for a year as I understood, and there would probably be other options.  With a college degree teaching English is the way to go, getting a visa and work permit through an employer, then building up to a higher paying position if your starting point salary is on the low side.  Without any degree working in Thailand could be problematic.

17 minutes ago, AlexfromManchester said:

Good news everyone! My visa has now been processed and I have a single entry tourist visa ready for when I fly on 28th January. 

one thing I hadn’t realised is that only certain companies have a permit to travel to Thailand at the moment. You can find that list here https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/application-for-certificate-of-entry-to-thailand-for-non-thai-nationa? 

I had actually booked with British airways so it will likely be cancelled and I can then book with a different airline. 

certificate of entry was also quite straightforward, all done online. I had to take out COVID travel insurance. I just used the one recommended on the COE website and it cost £112. 

I now just need to confirm my Alternative State Quarantine and add proof to the COE, then I’m good to go! There is a list of ASQ hotels here and I would say that on average, a decent one will probably cost about £1k for the 15 days with all meals included https://thaiest.com/blog/list-of-alternative-state-quarantine-asq-hotels-thailand

the next challenge for me now is to get my dog sorted for travel! My partner is going to sort his import permit etc. out on his side and can pick him straight up from the airport as he will not need to quarantine. Wish me luck!

Good luck. Makes me feel a bit better seeing other people have done it without too many problems. Going to start the process straight after New Year to fly February 8th.

15 hours ago, AlexfromManchester said:

I just read elsewhere that BA do not plan to resume flights to Bangkok and Sydney until November 1st 2021.

Archived