Any chance of travelling from the UK any time soon?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, webfact said:

CCSA offers incentives like visa extension to make up for 14 days lost in quarantine

The CCSA has also issued a new list of 56 countries and territories whose citizens do not require a visa and can live in the Kingdom for up to 30 days. The countries are: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bahrain, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Latvia, Principality of Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritius, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Republic of Slovenia, Spain, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Peru, Hong Kong, and Vietnam.

58 minutes ago, rott said:

Does the 30 day visa exempt apply to British Passport holders.? Can't locate the list of countries and the London embassy makes no mention of it. 

It has not yet been included in the list of qualifiers for a COE from London so really not available yet. I do notice that the line in red bold font telling us that visa exempt is suspended is no longer there though. May just be a matter of time.

On 12/16/2020 at 8:36 AM, Scofield said:

@AlexfromManchester how did you get the visa without the ASQ and flight confirmation? When I apply it asks for that for the visa application.

I didn’t need to share any details of ASQ until after pre-approval for my certificate of entry. 

I did have to share details of the apartment I’ll be moving into (where my boyfriend is currently living) with an invitation letter though when doing my visa application. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I'm looking for your help again!

As per my earlier posts, I've recently secured a Single Entry Tourist Visa, have completed certificate of entry, have flights booked and also ASQ hotel, due to fly out on 31st January with Thai Airways.

I currently live in Manchester which was Tier 4 before the national lockdown that was imposed last night by the UK government. 

The guidance says that international travel is only permitted where there is a legal reason to do so, such as for work. This is the only reason mentioned and there is no list of legal reasons for travel abroad. I am relocating over there and do intend to look for work and apply for a work permit as soon as possible but wondered if anyone knew whether evidence needs to be given in the UK of a work permit or if there are any other reasons that travel could continue in this case?

Thanks

2 hours ago, AlexfromManchester said:

Hi everyone. I'm looking for your help again!

As per my earlier posts, I've recently secured a Single Entry Tourist Visa, have completed certificate of entry, have flights booked and also ASQ hotel, due to fly out on 31st January with Thai Airways.

I currently live in Manchester which was Tier 4 before the national lockdown that was imposed last night by the UK government. 

The guidance says that international travel is only permitted where there is a legal reason to do so, such as for work. This is the only reason mentioned and there is no list of legal reasons for travel abroad. I am relocating over there and do intend to look for work and apply for a work permit as soon as possible but wondered if anyone knew whether evidence needs to be given in the UK of a work permit or if there are any other reasons that travel could continue in this case?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you except I'm booked to fly out on the 23rd. I think the new lockdown is expected to become law tomorrow so we might see these reasons legally defined then. However, I suspect that travelling on a tourist visa would prohibit you from using work as a reason. My assumption was that the list of permissible reasons for travelling abroad was similar to the list for leaving your home. The most detailed list that I can see is in this PDF - NationalLockdownGuidance.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk).

1 hour ago, ewingjm said:

I'm in the same boat as you except I'm booked to fly out on the 23rd. I think the new lockdown is expected to become law tomorrow so we might see these reasons legally defined then. However, I suspect that travelling on a tourist visa would prohibit you from using work as a reason. My assumption was that the list of permissible reasons for travelling abroad was similar to the list for leaving your home. The most detailed list that I can see is in this PDF - NationalLockdownGuidance.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk).

thanks for the info, hopefully we will find out more after tomorrow. Are you on a tourist visa as well? @ewingjm

25 minutes ago, AlexfromManchester said:

thanks for the info, hopefully we will find out more after tomorrow. Are you on a tourist visa as well? @ewingjm

Yep, I was also planning to travel on a tourist visa. I think the legally permissible reasons for travel give a bit of leeway. I'm more concerned at the moment about Thailand potentially imposing a ban on travel from the UK.

5 hours ago, ewingjm said:

ah great news! You will have to let me know how you get on at the UK airport on 23rd. I’ve got everything crossed everything goes OK for you! 

54 minutes ago, AlexfromManchester said:

ah great news! You will have to let me know how you get on at the UK airport on 23rd. I’ve got everything crossed everything goes OK for you! 

I fly out Sunday from Manchester,ive just had a email off Etihad saying not to forget my covid 19 certificate on arrival, so everthing must be ok for flying out.

I am waiting to fly from UK on 21st Jan, and checked with UK authorities about travel during the lock-down. 

1.  It is OK to travel to clinic to get Covid test and fit to fly cert prior to flying.

2. As I am a retiree normally living in Thailand, I can return to Thailand during the present lockdown, so long as I satisfy the entry requirements for Thailand (often stated on T/V)

Other legitimate reasons for travel to Thailand are given on UK gov web-site.

3.  The local taxi firm I contacted confirmed that they would take me to the airport if I had a genuine reason to travel.

UK news tonight stated that UK police are to be more active in stopping un-necessary travel.

Note that Covid is rising in UK because the country has a rigorous testing and reporting regime in place and 'bad news' is not supressed.

I only have to pass my Covid test next week, and I will be on my way.

My experience has been that as I had a genuine reason to travel to Thailand, and did as the Thais required, I will be allowed to travel.

Incidentally, all bookings fro flight, insurance and ASQ had clauses that allowed cancellation if I had a genuine reason not to travel.

5 hours ago, Robin said:

I am waiting to fly from UK on 21st Jan, and checked with UK authorities about travel during the lock-down. 

1.  It is OK to travel to clinic to get Covid test and fit to fly cert prior to flying.

2. As I am a retiree normally living in Thailand, I can return to Thailand during the present lockdown, so long as I satisfy the entry requirements for Thailand (often stated on T/V)

Other legitimate reasons for travel to Thailand are given on UK gov web-site.

3.  The local taxi firm I contacted confirmed that they would take me to the airport if I had a genuine reason to travel.

UK news tonight stated that UK police are to be more active in stopping un-necessary travel.

Note that Covid is rising in UK because the country has a rigorous testing and reporting regime in place and 'bad news' is not supressed.

I only have to pass my Covid test next week, and I will be on my way.

My experience has been that as I had a genuine reason to travel to Thailand, and did as the Thais required, I will be allowed to travel.

Incidentally, all bookings fro flight, insurance and ASQ had clauses that allowed cancellation if I had a genuine reason not to travel.

Thanks @Robin for the info. Can I ask how you contacted UK authorities to check? And are you on a tourism visa? 

Alex:

I found a part of UK government web-site on Covid restrictions where I could post questions.  reply received quite quickly with the information I needed.

My local council in UK also runs a help-line for questions.  I live in Surrey, where Covid is high and lock-down in force, but restrictions change from area to area, so you need to find out hat you can do locally.

I am returning to Thailand on a retirement visa, Non O.  Since I am married to Thai, that was another route back, but I did not have a scan of marriage Cert when applying for CoE.

On-line application for CoE was remarkably quick and easy to do, only snag I found was that you have to take a chance and book flights, ASQ and insurance before you get CoE, but each had a cancellation clause if you could not travel to Thailand.

Good luck with your application.  I hope this info helps

On 1/6/2021 at 2:53 PM, AlexfromManchester said:

Brilliant news. Hope it all goes ok. Let us know how you get on. 

Im in asq now,both flights with etihad from Manchester were sparse,cant fault them though the drinks were flowing.bit of a eye opener at bangkok,paperwork checked about 5 times,make sure your fit 2 fly is headlined with those words.

When you come through customs there will be a crowd of people waiting for you to take you to your hotel, thier you will load two apps to your phone and have a quick medical,blood pressure ect, the apps are for ordering your food everyday and sending youre temperature to the hospital.

3 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Im in asq now,both flights with etihad from Manchester were sparse,cant fault them though the drinks were flowing.bit of a eye opener at bangkok,paperwork checked about 5 times,make sure your fit 2 fly is headlined with those words.

When you come through customs there will be a crowd of people waiting for you to take you to your hotel, thier you will load two apps to your phone and have a quick medical,blood pressure ect, the apps are for ordering your food everyday and sending youre temperature to the hospital.

@lanng khaothat’s great news! Glad it all went ok. Did you have any issues at Manchester airport with questions around reason for travel? 

10 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Thanks for the update - glad to hear you arrived with no issues. Hopefully I'll be in a similar position next Sunday! 

On 1/6/2021 at 12:45 PM, ewingjm said:

I've gone for SafetyWing - Insurance for Nomads, by Nomads. Reasonably priced and no such restrictions.

Hi @ewingjm can I ask which documents you are using from the safetywing insurance to  show proof of cover up to 100,000 USD? 

I shared policy documents with my hotel and they had trouble finding the info, even though it is in there. 

not long now till you will be that plane! ???? 

18 hours ago, AlexfromManchester said:

Hi @ewingjm can I ask which documents you are using from the safetywing insurance to  show proof of cover up to 100,000 USD? 

I shared policy documents with my hotel and they had trouble finding the info, even though it is in there.

Do you have the policy/document shown in this thread?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1202518-stv-safetywing-insurance-ok/

5 minutes ago, SeasiderUK said:

I’m going to go through this process soon myself with 60 day Tourist visa

it looks like leaving UK went smoothly, any questions about reason for travel?

I go on Sunday 31st so I’m concerned about the same thing but I don’t think there will be issues. I am going out on the tourist visa initially but intend to look for work and am joining my partner who lives and works in Bangkok already.

On 1/22/2021 at 4:52 PM, AlexfromManchester said:

Ignore my previous posts! I’ve now got the visa letter ha! Thanks

Sorry I missed this - looks like you found it anyway!

On 1/22/2021 at 4:53 PM, AlexfromManchester said:

I go on Sunday 31st so I’m concerned about the same thing but I don’t think there will be issues. I am going out on the tourist visa initially but intend to look for work and am joining my partner who lives and works in Bangkok already.

All went smoothly for me - no enquiries as to reasons for travel. Just arrived in ASQ. Make sure you print off all of the documents that the embassy list because they do all get checked multiple times.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:50 AM, ewingjm said:

Sorry I missed this - looks like you found it anyway!

All went smoothly for me - no enquiries as to reasons for travel. Just arrived in ASQ. Make sure you print off all of the documents that the embassy list because they do all get checked multiple times.

@ewingjm really glad to hear it has all gone smoothly for you. All the best for your time in Thailand ☺️

Archived