Royal Thai Police Immigration Granting 60-day Extensions at Muang Thong Thani

If you're waiting for approval for another type of visa, or if you're just part of the amnesty-extension demographic, Immigration at MTT is being both generous and understanding, even practical, in allowing additional 60 day extensions for those on any type of visa. Thailand is rightly proud of the manner in which it has addressed the pandemic, and is being understanding in allowing those currently in the Kingdom to request an extension of stay, rather than return to countries where the pandemic is out of control. Besides evidence of goodwill, Thailand can also benefit from the economic boost of folks staying in hotels, eating in restaurants, taking taxis, shopping, etc.

The procedure is simple and extremely efficient.

Entering MTT an applicant is handed a package of documents to fill out, including an application for an extension, an affidavit stating the reason for the request, and a form where the applicant acknowledges the penalties for overstay.

Applicants should come with photocopies of their Passport picture/data page, the earlier extension stamp, the TM6, and the original entry stamp in the Kingdom. Applicants also need to provide a photo and pay a fee of 1900 baht. All photocopies require signature of the applicant.

The reason for requesting the additional extension is "Covid-19", though the affidavit does have other reasons listed, such as a medical emergency, cancelled flight, closed borders, etc..

Those staying in a hotel need not provide a TM30, as that is in the system already, filed by the hotel. Those not staying in hotels may be asked to provide a TM30.

Upon completing the documents and having Immigration review them, an "Under Consideration" stamp is put in the Passport and the applicant required to return in two weeks time for final approval.

No appointment was required this week, but those wishing to request an extension may want to book an appointment, as the previous extension ends on 30 November.

1 hour ago, Fibonaqi said:

I'm hoping that Phuket Immigration is equally generous and understanding. I previously got an extension to Nov 30 from MTT. Please share your experience with Phuket Immigration for Covid 60 day extension, anyone?

I read in some other thread that Phuket Immigration was the first one making the new affidavit available. Given the incredibly weak Tourism industry in Phuket, one might expect them to be particularly understanding.

There's always the option of flying up to BKK and visiting MTT. Since the pandemic begin, I have nothing but good things to say about MTT's understanding and efficiency. I'm well aware that I have no right to remain in Thailand, even while awaiting Thai Elite approval, so I am grateful for Immigration providing a legal way for me and others to ride out this pandemic in about the safest place one can possibly be. I don't mind spending a little extra money here and there, even if it's not even a rounding error in the overall economic scheme of things, as a way of showing my appreciation.

Thanks for the info, I was planning on going to Chaeng Watthana tomorrow to apply for an extension. Should I just go to MTT instead? I recently moved to Bangkok proper and filed a new TM30 just so I can go apply to extend at the main immigration office. I was getting tired of being jerked around by Samut Prakan.

26 minutes ago, WhateverDude said:

Thanks for the info, I was planning on going to Chaeng Watthana tomorrow to apply for an extension. Should I just go to MTT instead? I recently moved to Bangkok proper and filed a new TM30 just so I can go apply to extend at the main immigration office. I was getting tired of being jerked around by Samut Prakan.

You obtain extension at MTT.

Think for extension at MTT you need to make online appointment.

Reports of being asked for tm30.

A photocopy would be good idea.

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You obtain extension at MTT.

Think for extension at MTT you need to make online appointment.

Reports of being asked for tm30.

A photocopy would be good idea.

Ok, thanks for the info. This whole time I was under the impression that I was supposed to go to Chaeng Watthana. I have a printout of the TM30, my landlady filed it online. So I'm good there. Guess nothing is going to happen until Monday anyway.

7 minutes ago, WhateverDude said:

Ok, thanks for the info. This whole time I was under the impression that I was supposed to go to Chaeng Watthana. I have a printout of the TM30, my landlady filed it online. So I'm good there. Guess nothing is going to happen until Monday anyway.

This thread is not about extensions but gives good advice about MTT location etc

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1178297-how-to-get-to-from-chaengwattana-to-90-day-office-in-muang-thang-thani/

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

This thread is not about extensions but gives good advice about MTT location etc

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1178297-how-to-get-to-from-chaengwattana-to-90-day-office-in-muang-thang-thani/

Thanks, but just to be clear, I'm on a VE tourist visa and have gotten the post-amnesty extension due to COVID. So do I still have to go to MTT? I've always had to go to CW before to get tourist visa extensions when I was staying in BKK before. That's why I'm confused about this.

7 hours ago, WhateverDude said:

Thanks, but just to be clear, I'm on a VE tourist visa and have gotten the post-amnesty extension due to COVID. So do I still have to go to MTT? I've always had to go to CW before to get tourist visa extensions when I was staying in BKK before. That's why I'm confused about this.

You have to do it at Muang Thong Thani all short term extension are being done there. You also need to make an appointment. See: http://203.151.166.132/immigrant_queue/booking/

4 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

When I visited MTT to extend a single entry non Immigration o visa for 30 days, before the last amnesty started, they sent us back to CW.

When they say all visas do they mean all visas now?

Annual extensions marriage, retirement etc are done at CW.

The 60 day extensions discussed here are done at MTT.

MTT are also doing 90 day reports and certificate of Residence.

"Royal Thai Police Immigration" RTPI

I find this 'title' perplexing maybe irreconciable.

The Immigration Bureau is under the Ministry of the Interior.

In 1998 the Thailand National Police Department was transferred to the Office of the Prime Minister, currently being supervised directly by PM Prayuth. TNPD was renamed RTP.

(Wikipedia)

When I was at MTT in September 2020 I saw officers wearing what I would characterize as an IO uniform but also wearing the RTP patch. 

Organizationally, RTPI doesn't seem to exist. It appears that functionally the Ministry of the Interior's oversight of IO's does not exist. Wonder how that works when it comes to operating  budgets? I could see RTP officers being loaned to the Immigration Bureau. 

36 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The Immigration Bureau is under the Ministry of the Interior.

The immigration commissioner reports to the RTP police commissioner. The interior ministry is only responsible for acts and orders/notices related to immigration.

The immigration commissioner was in the RTP previously. Transfers to immigration from the police are common.

On 11/18/2020 at 5:46 PM, Walker88 said:

If you're waiting for approval for another type of visa, or if you're just part of the amnesty-extension demographic, Immigration at MTT is being both generous and understanding, even practical, in allowing additional 60 day extensions for those on any type of visa. Thailand is rightly proud of the manner in which it has addressed the pandemic, and is being understanding in allowing those currently in the Kingdom to request an extension of stay, rather than return to countries where the pandemic is out of control. Besides evidence of goodwill, Thailand can also benefit from the economic boost of folks staying in hotels, eating in restaurants, taking taxis, shopping, etc.

The procedure is simple and extremely efficient.

Entering MTT an applicant is handed a package of documents to fill out, including an application for an extension, an affidavit stating the reason for the request, and a form where the applicant acknowledges the penalties for overstay.

Applicants should come with photocopies of their Passport picture/data page, the earlier extension stamp, the TM6, and the original entry stamp in the Kingdom. Applicants also need to provide a photo and pay a fee of 1900 baht. All photocopies require signature of the applicant.

The reason for requesting the additional extension is "Covid-19", though the affidavit does have other reasons listed, such as a medical emergency, cancelled flight, closed borders, etc..

Those staying in a hotel need not provide a TM30, as that is in the system already, filed by the hotel. Those not staying in hotels may be asked to provide a TM30.

Upon completing the documents and having Immigration review them, an "Under Consideration" stamp is put in the Passport and the applicant required to return in two weeks time for final approval.

No appointment was required this week, but those wishing to request an extension may want to book an appointment, as the previous extension ends on 30 November.

it was denied there to MANY, so do not tell that you have the ultimate solution, this is ridiculous.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Annual extensions marriage, retirement etc are done at CW.

The 60 day extensions discussed here are done at MTT.

MTT are also doing 90 day reports and certificate of Residence.

As stated I was not applying for an annual extension ,  only the 30 day extension they had offered for any visa. The Immigration Bureau advised us to to go MTT but after spending 4 hours there we were sent to CW. Amnesty kicked in so it didn't matter anyway, and then they began offering the Affidavit extension.

4 hours ago, salsajapan said:

it was denied there to MANY, so do not tell that you have the ultimate solution, this is ridiculous.

The denial was based on what grounds? Please explain. Was it for going to as different immigration than their earlier stamps? Country of origin? You referring to the additional 60 days starting December 1st correct?

On 11/19/2020 at 12:55 PM, Fibonaqi said:

I'm hoping that Phuket Immigration is equally generous and understanding. I previously got an extension to Nov 30 from MTT. Please share your experience with Phuket Immigration for Covid 60 day extension, anyone?

I have to extend in Phuket as well, we'll see next week... Getting the extension the first time was a mess, hopefully its way easier this time around.

On 11/20/2020 at 5:38 PM, padthaininja said:

I have to extend in Phuket as well, we'll see next week... Getting the extension the first time was a mess, hopefully its way easier this time around.

I heard the main I/O at Phuket Town is much better than the one at Patong. Also there has been reports that the extension will start from the date of application rather than the date of expiry of your current stamp, Nov 30 for most. Please do let us know how it goes with your extension next week. I'm planning to go either Friday or Monday the 30th.

On 11/22/2020 at 4:23 AM, Fibonaqi said:

I heard the main I/O at Phuket Town is much better than the one at Patong. Also there has been reports that the extension will start from the date of application rather than the date of expiry of your current stamp, Nov 30 for most. Please do let us know how it goes with your extension next week. I'm planning to go either Friday or Monday the 30th.

Headed to Phuket Town today and was told to come back end of month because like you said, extension will start from the date of application.

Looks like it's going to an easy extension. No embassy letters or any fancy papers needed. ????

28 minutes ago, padthaininja said:

Headed to Phuket Town today and was told to come back end of month because like you said, extension will start from the date of application.

Looks like it's going to an easy extension. No embassy letters or any fancy papers needed. ????

Here's a report from Phuket Town I/O on COVID 60-day extension, OP says to go there ASAP, long wait and limited queue numbers. I'm a bit confused. Was originally planning to go on Monday Nov 30 so as not to lose any days but now am inclined to go sooner rather than later. Why the diverse reports I wonder?

5 hours ago, Fibonaqi said:

Here's a report from Phuket Town I/O on COVID 60-day extension, OP says to go there ASAP, long wait and limited queue numbers. I'm a bit confused. Was originally planning to go on Monday Nov 30 so as not to lose any days but now am inclined to go sooner rather than later. Why the diverse reports I wonder?

Ah guess I'll go this Friday. If anything goes wrong I'll have Monday to fix things up. Thanks for the heads up.

6 hours ago, padthaininja said:

That's odd. Was it the german old guy who likes to talk who gave the queue numbers and told you to come back later? Because yesterday he told people to come this week because number 30 would be packed and immigration would probably be open until late.

6 hours ago, Fibonaqi said:

Did anyone use the QueQ online queue ticket app shown on the Phuket Immigration website?

image.png.76cc69297e1b382fda2af374d091028c.png 

image.png

Just downloaded app. It covers a few Immigration offices: Phuket, Samut Prakan, Surathani, Koh Samui etc but for Phuket, it doesn't cover short term visas.

21 hours ago, balsgaard said:

That's odd. Was it the german old guy who likes to talk who gave the queue numbers and told you to come back later? Because yesterday he told people to come this week because number 30 would be packed and immigration would probably be open until late.

No, short Russian lady. I'll be there tomorrow for sure then.. Thanks.

Archived