Huge price differences for old and new condominiums. Why?

On 11/18/2020 at 6:49 PM, Peterw42 said:

I think you can attribute some of the price difference down Thais being a superstitious bunch. Thais believe in ghosts so therefore any old property can have a ghost. Many Thais will only consider new and will pay a premium for it..

All those spirit houses in the front of the house/condo block are not there for decoration.

Can you rent one of these spirit houses. Could be a bargain!

• Haha 2
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

same as a 18 years old girl and a 40 year lady 555

Last week I went to the Mercedes showroom, and a new car costed a lot more than one from 1995.   Anyone can explain?

I think you can attribute some of the price difference down Thais being a superstitious bunch. Thais believe in ghosts so therefore any old property can have a ghost. Many Thais will only consider new

Posted Images

On 11/18/2020 at 5:50 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I want to move to a new place probably sometime next year and I want to get a better understanding about the situation.

Have you thought be a Squat? 🤔

Edited by Tarteso

I’d put it all down to construction quality.  It’s not like major US and European cities where some of the most expensive (and exclusive) condos, co-ops and apartments are in older buildings which are already a century old (and will easily last another century).

48 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I’d put it all down to construction quality.  It’s not like major US and European cities where some of the most expensive (and exclusive) condos, co-ops and apartments are in older buildings which are already a century old (and will easily last another century).

Part might be about construction quality but definitely not all of it.

I saw when Trendy was "built". They used a very old empty building and then they renovated it with the cheapest material and the cheapest labor possible. And they still want to charge a lot of money for those cheap units in that old building.

OneMoreFarang, your girlfriend would have freaked out in my last new build rental ( 5 yrs old). Shelves and anything else fell off the walls, windows wouldn’t close properly, or couldn’t open, pool had several problems. The usual smelly drains.Of course I moved out. On the other hand , have had 4 older rentals, and never had a worry. 

• Like 1

its very true,new builds,higher land price. higher wages materials too,they are a poor buy too. the finishings are usually poor older bldgs are more robust in many cases and wood floors. bigger land space for facilities such as pools tennis courts gardens etc some new builds havent designated parking spaces,maintenace fees are cheaper and the management proven,some extras for upgrades though,in my mind its a no brainer and for overseas buyers too,even the thais are changing to that mindset too,i really dont understand why they keep building new stuff at this incredible rate.whos gonna buy them?we still have the xenophobic rediculousness of govt limiting overseas condo ownership,its space not land being bought but what do you expect from these fools?i see a lot of these companies going broke soon as the banks want their pound of flesh.no buyers and the lock out of buyers contimues,theres demand if they open the gates

• Like 1
6 hours ago, geisha said:

OneMoreFarang, your girlfriend would have freaked out in my last new build rental ( 5 yrs old). Shelves and anything else fell off the walls, windows wouldn’t close properly, or couldn’t open, pool had several problems. The usual smelly drains.Of course I moved out. On the other hand , have had 4 older rentals, and never had a worry. 

She is fine as long as she has good food and lots of videos - and of course no ghosts.

I wouldn't freak out, just fix it, get it fixed, or move out.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just checked with my Thai gf about buying a "used" condominium. It seems there are several reasons to buy new.

Ghosts are a possible reason. She told me if I would buy a new condo then she wants to sleep at least one night in that place before we buy it. After that night she will know if there are any ghosts and if the ghosts are malicious.

In case there are malicious ghosts it seems some buddha ceremony can fix that problem.

Another reason for buying new is the hassle with checking an old place. I.e. if the current owner has the place mortgaged it will be a lot more work to transfer it, especially if the buyer will also mortgaged it. In a new building they have finance plans. Just sign and that's it - at least that's what she tells me is what many Thais think.

Does she check for ghosts of dead construction workers?  That could be very bad.

36 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Does she check for ghosts of dead construction workers?  That could be very bad.

I could ask her, and probably she would explain it to me in detail for the next hour or maybe days later.

I think I better don't ask.

• Haha 2

But I would recommend get a crystal ball to see into the future but on a serious note why don’t you ask an expert in real estate and see what they would say I have no clue if any expert in real estate could tell you what is going to be possible in 10 years you post a lot of posting the question you asked just seems unbelievable but I guess asking all the experts on this visa is a great thing to do must get great advice like how long does a piece of string 10 years in the future what would the interest-rate be TIT