Hotel operators beg govt to consider reopening Thailand soon

snoop1130

48 minutes ago, Bluedan said:

Is it really money before lives? Or lives v lives? The average age of covid deaths is over 80 in most countries. Yes every life lost is a tragedy. So how about years of life lost through: poverty, malnutrition, unemployment, violence, domestic violence, suicide, undiagnosed or untreated cancers and other diseases. These things will mean many years of lives lost with the victims on average being much younger than the 80 plus folks who are not only susceptible to COVID but also other contagions such as flu or bacteria.

Get off the baht bus it’s not that bad , Thais are Resilient 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Get off the baht bus it’s not that bad , Thais are Resilient 

Baht bus ? Ok you tell that to the ones who lost their jobs or families of those who committed suicide (22% up this year) domestic violence also way up. The economy is lives also. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, greenhornfarang said:

If there were debilitating effects then people would not be forgetting, those I know who tested positive either experienced no symptoms or just had a regular flu, one in his 40s one in his 30s neither athletic. 

The case of the 2 people you know are statistically insignificant.

And irrelevant to any serious discussion of Covid's long term effects.

Edited by JimmyJ

This representitive of the "tourist industry" is pleading for the impossible.

Whilst no body could have forseen this pandemic the tourist industry in Thailand has in many ways shot themselves in the foot 15 years ago. Massive expansion far too quickly for greed only resulted in mass tourism with in many cases value for money just too good to believe.

Far lesser accommodations in developed countries selling for 3 to 5 times as much resulting in

developers here not having any nest egg or reserves but hell bent on developing another property

without any Government control on oversupply (same in the condo market)

I feel for the staff more than the big Companies.

Incidently I am directly affected with my business turnover decreasing since reopening after nearly 4 months closed by 78%,

But if you take a self reality check & have a good look at UK, USA, Europe, Indonesia India

& even Malaysia you must admit that the Thai Government have made the right moves to protect their people & us long term residents. 

Even right now you can not open the country to the countries above & (or) many others.

It would just set the health of the nation into chaos

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, greenhornfarang said:

IDK what you are talking about but I brag about being the last farang to experience the wonder of the world Walking Street, every day. I first visited Thailand in November 2019, it blew my greenhorn farang mind so much so,  that I decided to return immediately in February 2020, and I could not have been happier with my decision as I had a feeling that this may be the last time anyone will ever experience Thailand at its peak. 

Wasn't the peak when you returned.You have seen it slowly dying, a process of at least  10 years already (military coup and General Prayuth's military hunta government)  but you believed it was Thailand at is peak.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

Instead of begging why don’t they all get together and completely shutter All their hotels and lay off all staff. Can you imagine no hotels open in Bangkok??? That will get their attention and put the reality of what they are doing home to roost.

Yeah that'll show Prayut ????

No welfare to fork out and unemployed people are hardly going to put up an argument for an industry they are no longer involved in!!

I believe the terminology for what you are suggesting is "Shooting yourself in the foot" or maybe "Cutting your nose off to spite your face"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AmySeeker said:

I really detest with a passion those who just say 'they should open up' and get on with it. They usually mention Sweden alot too. The same Sweden that in the last few days has announced lockdowns - guess their much lauded herd immunity experiment failed. 

That is interesting news on Sweden. Thanks for pointing that out. I am surprised by this. A short while ago, while positive test were high, the mortality and hospitalization figures were still quite good. I haven't followed too closely lately. I see at the start of the month these have moved up a bit. The lockdown seems to be a soft one.

20 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Personal situations are not relevant. 1.5m people have died. So many less have died from Covid without underlying issues. From any death whether it be covid or anything else, it is only relevant to the people who knew the deceased. For example, there will be someone dying as I type this comment, does it affect me or you? No. 

Just because you might know someone who has died from Covid doesnt make it any more, or less serious. They are just numbers and usually used as scare tactics by the media. 

Its nonsense that the world has closed for a pandemic (no more dangerous than the flu) with a death rate of 0.05% or thereabouts

If you are an old person, the percentage you quote is incorrect. It's more like 3-4% and ignores the rehabilitation aspect entirely. It is NOT no more dangerous than the flu. The USA is approaching 4.5 million active cases, those cases mean other patients are crowded out of overwhelmed hospitals.

I understand the zeitgeist of today is that old people should hurry up and die off so they get out the way of younger people. My apologies, I'm sticking around and it will be your turn soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Thailand never really suffered with Covid though did it? 60 deaths? Not sure what drum you are banging but "opening up" has many meanings. Your kneejerk reaction is to think we all want Thailand to open to every country and let anyone flock in!! Where most of us thoughtful people would suggest opening to countries in a similar state to Thailand, like Vietnam, Taiwan, Laos etc. That way we could avoid the 2 week quarantine and just have the test 72 hours before flying. I mean come on, why quarantine someone for 14 days after they have tested negative? All I see from restrictions is control and a new way for govts and companies like visa places charging hugely increased amounts for their products we need, and some we dont, namely quarantine hotels. If you're negative, why can you not just enter the country and have a regular check/test say every week and be tracked for 2 weeks instead of being locked down?

This Thread provides reason why quarantine is still required 

Eight new Covid-19 cases in quarantine

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

Instead of begging why don’t they all get together and completely shutter All their hotels and lay off all staff. Can you imagine no hotels open in Bangkok??? That will get their attention and put the reality of what they are doing home to roost.

The rich have their palaces and swiss bank accounts.  The government too

7 hours ago, Rmac442 said:

Right now nobody will risk the 78% that is working by allowing the tourism 22% (of GDP) to 'restart'

22% ? Really?   Its a much higher number.  78% are working but many with scaled back hours or zero commissions. It effect everyone.  Except the elite who runs the country 

17 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

8??? My apologies, lets lock the world down again!!!

The only person that talking about locking down Thailand is you by suggesting doing away with  quarantine and just using the 72hr test before flight.

The incubation period of COVID-19, which is the time between exposure to the virus and symptom onset, is on average 5-6 days, but can be as long as 14 days. Thus, quarantine should be in place for 14 days from the last exposure to a confirmed case.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Wow. I have had some strange replies in my time on here that have made me wander what substances some members are on but your comment is . . . . well, Im not sure what you are trying to say

1) I didnt mention ages, I mentioned death rates across the board so Im not sure how you can say I am incorrect when you alter the status quo?

2) I hate to break it to you but the USA is NOT the whole world. There are actually quite a lot of other countries in the world that help contribute to the figures

3) Im not bothered if you stick around or shuffle off, Im 52 myself so hardly hoping for the "cull"

4) It is similar to the flu. If you have underlying issues the flu can take you just like Covid, if you are fit and healthy, you have a very high chance you will hardly even know you have had it. Those who come out with "Covid is much worse than the flu" are basing their comments on the fact there is not a cure for Covid like there is for flu. Its widely known that they are both from similar strains

Try reading what I typed, it might help you respond better and please understand that the good ol' US of A is not the yardstick non Americans use. 

I'm not American either. I'm Australian, and if you look at what has been done there on the basis of medical science, it is quite clear the medicos are much more concerned about it than flu. That's because it attacks lung tissue in a way flu does not, unless you think you know better than medical practitioners world wide.

Two putdowns in your post, the one about what substances I am on, and helping me respond better. Most people only get one chance to disrespect me, you've done it twice. On ignore now.

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The only person that talking about locking down Thailand is you by suggesting doing away with  quarantine and just using the 72hr test before flight.

I did actually mention tracking and further tests but you chose to bypass those suggestions

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The incubation period of COVID-19, which is the time between exposure to the virus and symptom onset, is on average 5-6 days, but can be as long as 14 days. Thus, quarantine should be in place for 14 days from the last exposure to a confirmed case.

Yes I am aware of that, although each case is different due to age and health, did you choose to bypass those facts too in order to strengthen your point?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, greenhornfarang said:

Yes but more people will die of poverty/starvation/depression/suicide from these measures than from covid. 

Very true they need to act soon as the lady said covid is not going away as for the vaccine nothing is certainly guaranteed yet get people tested  before and on arrival isolation for 5 days to see for result it’s that simple 

1 minute ago, Walter Travolta said:

I did actually mention tracking and further tests but you chose to bypass those suggestions

Yes I am aware of that, although each case is different due to age and health, did you choose to bypass those facts too in order to strengthen your point?

we both know if tracking was a option there would numerous posts by idiots on this and other forums providing information how the tracking can been fooled or turned off

As to quarantine  its simple it applies to everyone no execption it may be the case that if there was a 90 day period where everyone that goes into quarantine remains negative that you could do away with quarantine but at the moment there are weekly cases of people becoming positive sometimes on day 5 sometimes on day 11 so quarantine should remain

• Sad 3