chest freezer, do you need to unfreeze them in Thailand ? Not automatic auto defrost ?

questionsreplies

I am led to believe that to make the deep freeze more efficient, if it is not full of frozen goodies, is too pack all the empty spaces with scrunched up newspapers inside cardboard boxes or large 3/4 full plastic bottles of water.  I was told this 20 years ago!

I am sure the experts will have an opinion!!

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

how much does it cost ?

11,000 baht  almost 2 years ago   it was more expensive ( per cubic foot) than the lay flat non frost free types

but suits our very small apartment better  using the space vertically rather than taking up more floor space and having to keep the lid opening area clear too.

• Like 1

Ours probably gets opened twice a day. Defrost when the basket won't slide, probably every 18 months or so.

Madam just runs down the contents and moves all the stuff into our upright fridge-freezer (which is frost-free) whilst the big beastie thaws out.

At least it doesn't take long here.

Panasonic 13Cu ft, looks like the new version is auto-defrost https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1013416

Check out PowerBuy, they have defrost free chest freezers, I have bought two of them over the last 10 years. I keep it outside on my balcony with a cover and the heat and humidity doesn't seem to affect it much, I had to replace my last one about 4-5 years ago.

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/home-appliance/refrigerators/freezers?m_defrosting=Automatic Defrosting,No Frost

4 hours ago, fangless said:

I am led to believe that to make the deep freeze more efficient, if it is not full of frozen goodies, is too pack all the empty spaces with scrunched up newspapers inside cardboard boxes or large 3/4 full plastic bottles of water.  I was told this 20 years ago!

I am sure the experts will have an opinion!!

That is  not as ridiculous as it  may sound. The logic of it is to  the reduce  the  volume of  air that need  be reduced  to  nominal freezing  temp. Is actually  more practical in an upright  freezer  because of the  volume of  cold air that  falls out  each time it is opened. A chest freezer loses  very little and  can be  minimized  by raising the lid  gently so as  to not  cause as   much interchange of air . Shop cabinet freezers  often have sliding  lids  which even when left  open  do not  cause  much disturbance .

Unless there is a  buildup of  ice  in a freezer there is  no practical need  to defrost it.

Auto  defrosting can  actually  reduce  the  food safe storage  time  in many  upright freezers .

But  people  love the  ice  free appearance!

• Thanks 2

Mitsubishi frost free, but you need to defrost it every at least 2 years (for 24 Hr), if you use it a lot even less than 2 years. Ice internally (where the evaporator located) shall rich the climate control "damper" in long run, stuck damper could damage the climate control PCB. Don't hesitate to consult Mitsubishi Parts/Service center. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

That is  not as ridiculous as it  may sound. The logic of it is to  the reduce  the  volume of  air that need  be reduced  to  nominal freezing  temp. Is actually  more practical in an upright  freezer  because of the  volume of  cold air that  falls out  each time it is opened. A chest freezer loses  very little and  can be  minimized  by raising the lid  gently so as  to not  cause as   much interchange of air . Shop cabinet freezers  often have sliding  lids  which even when left  open  do not  cause  much disturbance .

Unless there is a  buildup of  ice  in a freezer there is  no practical need  to defrost it.

Auto  defrosting can  actually  reduce  the  food safe storage  time  in many  upright freezers .

Most helpful information. Thanks very much!

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2020 at 9:10 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

so it's better to keep the freezer full ?!