COVID-19 Almost Over

Jillie Norman

21 hours ago, Walker88 said:

It's going to take time and longer than anyone wants. Even when vaccines are widely available, countries will decide for themselves when and how much to re-open borders.

Herd immunity, at least with Covid-19, is a shibboleth. Antibodies are found to last 2-3 months maximum. The initial Chinese research in this regards is being confirmed by additional study. Thus, it's going to take an effective vaccine or vaccines.

The two most promising vaccines---Pfizer and Moderna---come with a bit of small print. Both require two shots, an initial injection and a booster a few weeks later.  Immunity is not instant and takes a few months to build. Both vaccines also require liquid nitrogen cold storage until getting ready for injection. That may be doable in large cities, but the logistics of deep cold storage in rural areas or developing countries is an issue. Then there is the problem of production. Pfizer claims it can have 50 million doses by December. Sounds good, but the US alone has 330,000,000 people. Widespread inoculation will be a long process.

Finally, 95% effective is great for a corona vaccine (65% if about tops for the common flu), but 5% of 7.7 billion people is a lot of people. The world is going to have to live with lost lives from this new pathogen.

Addressing the virus will likely require both vaccines and treatment programs that use drugs which mitigate the worst effects or suppress the virus. Think of the latter like the drugs used to keep HIV at bay without ever actually curing it.

Yes, there is astonishing progress in vaccine development, but again, individual countries will decide what they are willing to risk and when. Thailand has been particularly cautious, and that has yielded benefits which the government may not want to put at risk.

A slight modification on the storage requirements for Moderna's vaccine:

"In a separate statement, Moderna stated that its COVID-19 vaccine candidate remains stable for 30 days at 2-degree Celsius to 8-degree Celsius, the temperature of a standard home or medical refrigerator. The company said mRNA-1273 remains stable at -200 C (-40F) for up to six months, at refrigerated conditions for up to 30 days and at room temperature for up to 12 hours. "  -20C is much easier to keep in transit than -75C.  BTW, liquid nitrogen is below -196C (when it starts to boil at 1 atm).  Maybe you were thinking of dry ice at about -78C at 1 atm.

23 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

Well to answer the OP. I'm not a fan of virtual tourism, I'd rather see a movie. I certainly wouldn't part with any of my hard earned to go on a virtual tour. Call me old fashioned, but I like my swims real, my beers cold, my girlfriends warm and my colours vivid through my own eyes.

Not really connected to Covid but just out of interest, I've taken dozens of 'virtual tours', all downloaded from YouTube and watched on a big screen (I don't have a Smart tv as the old one I have works fine). So you don't need to part with any hard earned.

Places I've 'walked' include Bangkok, Pattaya, many parts of my native London, many areas of New York, Paris, California streets and beaches plus the Pacific Coast Highway, Budapest, Stockholm, Helsinki, Melbourne, Sydney, Tokyo etc etc etc. Most I've been to and it's nice to see them again. And no airfares, no hours in a metal tube and no hotel to pay for.

Something I noticed and which surprised me is that many European cities have now completely closed off the streets in the centre to traffic. Pattaya could close off Beach Road and have two-way traffic on Second Road, but of course is doing the opposite of closing roads and instead has opened up Walking Street to traffic.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 4:55 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

It'll be like the 1918 influenza epidemic which was far worse than corona is, to date. Once the vulnerable to this particular strain pass away natural resistance takes over and it'll be like the flu is today, IMO, which still kills many, but is not serious to most, IMO.

The closest relative to SARS-CoV-2 that is still prevalent, is MERS. It's been around for getting on towards ten years now. There's no sign of any natural resistance developing yet - it still kills around 30% of those it infects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papa al said:

papa is 71.

Have never had the flu.

Have never been vaccinated vs. flu.

Same my parents.

Is that not natural resistance?

No, that's innate immunity (assuming it's correct) and it's what some people have for almost any disease. The natural resistance being talked about would involve acquired immunity.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Walker88 said:

The two most promising vaccines---Pfizer and Moderna---come with a bit of small print. Both require two shots, an initial injection and a booster a few weeks later.  Immunity is not instant and takes a few months to build. Both vaccines also require liquid nitrogen cold storage until getting ready for injection. That may be doable in large cities, but the logistics of deep cold storage in rural areas or developing countries is an issue. Then there is the problem of production. Pfizer claims it can have 50 million doses by December. Sounds good, but the US alone has 330,000,000 people. Widespread inoculation will be a long process.

As someone else already pointed out, these vaccines do not require liquid nitrogen storage, dry ice is fine.

It should also be noted that the -70°C (+ - 10°) requirement for the Pfizer vaccine is the same as required for the Ebola vaccine and they haven't had any particular problems using it in Africa, for instance. 

The cold chain logistics for keeping and distributing vaccines at -80°C using dry ice containers are well-established and routinely used for other vaccines already, as mentioned.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

image.png.ad01614cfb2469d8f0183a9f6970c71f.png

Brought to you in cooperation with TAT and the Thai Government.

Buy today:  1 Million USD, with a free gram of Marijuana, and towel thrown in to make your beach experience the best.

Contact 66+PrayutChaCha for your accommodations now.

This Ad brought to you by The Tourism Authority of Anutin.

• Haha 2

papa is 71.

Have never had the flu.

Same my parents.

////////////

No. That's blind luck.

I will repeat one more time; there is no such thing as 'natural resistance' to cold, flu or Covid.

////////

Mom taught 2nd grade for 40 years.

Thousands of chillin coughed in her face.

////////////

So before Louis Pastuer invented vaccinations

no humans had resistance to virus?

C'mon man !!

On 11/19/2020 at 1:08 PM, Walker88 said:

It's going to take time and longer than anyone wants. Even when vaccines are widely available, countries will decide for themselves when and how much to re-open borders.

Herd immunity, at least with Covid-19, is a shibboleth. Antibodies are found to last 2-3 months maximum. The initial Chinese research in this regards is being confirmed by additional study. Thus, it's going to take an effective vaccine or vaccines.

Finally, 95% effective is great for a corona vaccine (65% if about tops for the common flu), but 5% of 7.7 billion people is a lot of people. The world is going to have to live with lost lives from this new pathogen.

Addressing the virus will likely require both vaccines and treatment programs that use drugs which mitigate the worst effects or suppress the virus. Think of the latter like the drugs used to keep HIV at bay without ever actually curing it.

Yes, there is astonishing progress in vaccine development, but again, individual countries will decide what they are willing to risk and when. Thailand has been particularly cautious, and that has yielded benefits which the government may not want to put at risk.

This soldiers government is firstly going to look after itself, they are not interested in the people, this unelected "MP" and his soldiers have had 6 years to "bring happiness to the people" and failed badly, when it comes to vaccine, they will do what most ups their own personal income streams, they are in government by default, not wanted by the people, yes Thailand has been particularly cautious, the "government" hate Farangs, and will keep them out of the country as long as they can no matter what happens with vaccines.

• Like 1

A considerable number of posts here have been removed:

a false way of calculating the CV death rate, misinformation and unproven claims, off-topic posts, trolling posts and replies to them.

In posting on this topic, please note the following forum advisory:

UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING ON THAIVISA AMID COVID-19 - 25 MARCH 2020

In addition to the guidelines posted below and those detailed in the Thaivisa forum rules and following the announcement that Thai government will invoke emergency powers in order to help deal with the COVID-19 situation in the country, Thaivisa requests members posting on the forum to abide by the following:

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

do the math. it is not even remotely feasible

Not that good in math.

I suppose variables are different from one country to another, so not that easy.

But purely mathematical,

any idea how much years it will take ? 

3 hours ago, papa al said:

papa is 71.

Have never had the flu.

Same my parents.

////////////

No. That's blind luck.

I will repeat one more time; there is no such thing as 'natural resistance' to cold, flu or Covid.

////////

Mom taught 2nd grade for 40 years.

Thousands of chillin coughed in her face.

////////////

So before Louis Pastuer invented vaccinations

no humans had resistance to virus?

C'mon man !!

Instead of spouting anecdotals 'facts' relating to your morther, perhaps try a simple Google search for the answers

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-03-dont-immune-colds.html Explains why you can never be immune to the common cold as essentially the cold is in fact anything up to 200 different viruses (https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/understanding-common-cold-virus)

The flu is slightly different with growing evidence that those exposed to certain strains at an early age can built a healthy resistance (https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-and-lungs/first-time-flu-infection-may-affect-lifetime-immunity/) BUT it doesn't protect from all strains of flu hence the need to get a flu jab each year which is formulated to fight the individual strain of that particular year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The closest relative to SARS-CoV-2 that is still prevalent, is MERS. It's been around for getting on towards ten years now. There's no sign of any natural resistance developing yet - it still kills around 30% of those it infects.

MERS came from Egyptian tomb bats and has little relation to nCoV-SARS1 and SARS2  from Chinese cave bats. MERS can't attack the ACE2 receptors that makes both SARS viruses so troublesome. MERS attacks a DPP4 receptor and is mostly caught from camels. It can barely transmit H2H.

Either way, with only 2500 cases so far it is not a good example for or against resistance.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 1:08 PM, Walker88 said:

Immunity basically depends on 2 things: antibodies and T-cells. Studies have shown that T-Cell immuniity for Covid 19 persists at least 6 months.

Covid-19: T cell response lasts for at least six months after infection, study shows | The BMJ

The Moderna Vaccine does not require liquid nitrogen storage or anything remotely close. It can be stored at normal refrigerator temperatures for 30 days. And at normal freezer temperatures indefinitely.

How storage temperature could give Moderna's Covid vaccine the edge (pharmaceutical-technology.com)

As for 5.5% of people being a lot of people. If 95% get vaccinated, which would be overkill so to speak. transmission of that vaccine is going to stop due to herd immunity. Estimates range from 40% to 70%

As for weighing the benefits... I believe lots of hungry Thai people and most of the rest who are suffering from the economic effects of the virus would be willing to take the risk. In fact, I think the government would find itself in serious peril if it decided to stand in the way of inoculations

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1