COVID-19 Almost Over

Jillie Norman

On 11/20/2020 at 11:22 AM, Mayhem11 said:

In the USA Big  Pharma is immunised against liability for side effects from tested vaccines by legislation. This is why vaccines aren’t 100% safe. They don’t have to be because there is no downside for Big Pharma. But why does the public have to accept a sub-optimal product?

Tell us what medicine is 100% safe?

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 9:25 PM, cormanr7 said:

...  I am not a fan of virtual tourism. Nothing can replace the real thing. 

Agree fully,  that smell of humidity and mildew when hitting a SE airport after a long haul,

then the vivid colors of green, the gentle cackle of island gals in the background while enjoying that first cold beer.  ????

Edited by cobra
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 9:39 AM, Jingthing said:

It's clearly not almost over. We're still closer to the beginning than the end. I agree it will eventually be a kind of "manageable" endemic but first we need to vaccinate most of the entire world. 

The 1918 pandemic went at least 2 years, with a quarter of the current world's population. It will take a year, at least, for wide distribution of a vaccine - to developed countries, and a number of years after for the rest. Yes, we are just at the start. 

• Like 1

Replies to hidden posts have been removed, along with a long resulting exchange of bickering posts.

Also, continued posts taking aim at fellow forum members, as opposed to discussing the topic, will result in suspensions.  As will posting false or misleading information on the coronavirus.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:13 PM, placeholder said:

People also need to understand that you don't need to vaccinate the whole world to stop the spread of covid.

How Long Before the Entire World is Vaccinated Against COVID-19? (newsweek.com)

I'm not sure that article really says that. The person being interviewed concedes that it won't be possible to vaccinate everyone and then the article states that:

GAVI believes that vaccinating 20 percent of the population in all countries who participate in its scheme will cover the most vulnerable people and healthcare workers and, by doing so, suppress the transmission of the disease.

I suppose it depends what you think they mean by "suppress" but I take it to mean that it will limit the spread rather than stop it completely.

On 11/27/2020 at 6:03 PM, scaldedfummy said:

Sadly, this is the world we live in now. I think it's going to be this way for a long time until everyone feels safe again. 

I think it's going to be this way for a long time until everyone some feels safe again.

Not everyone is afraid of corona. I've far more risk of stroke or heart attack than I have of corona.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 6:45 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm not sure that article really says that. The person being interviewed concedes that it won't be possible to vaccinate everyone and then the article states that:

I suppose it depends what you think they mean by "suppress" but I take it to mean that it will limit the spread rather than stop it completely.

IMO the aim should be to make it similar to the flu in infection rate.

• Like 2

I don't know if it is OK to post links to the WHO, but here is a current report on mortality rates. For people under 70 (0.05) is the median mortality rate. https://www.who.int/bulletin/online_first/BLT.20.265892.pdf

The median infection fatality rate across all 51 locations was 0.27% (corrected 0.23%). Most data came from locations with high death tolls from COVID-19 and 32 of the locations had a population mortality rate (COVID-19 deaths per million population) higher than the global average (118 deaths from COVID-19 per million as of 12 September 2020;79 Fig. 3). Uncorrected estimates of the infection fatality rate of COVID-19 ranged from 0.01% to 0.67% (median 0.10%) across the 19 locations with a population mortality rate for COVID-19 lower than the global average, from 0.07% to 0.73% (median 0.20%) across 17 locations with population mortality rate higher than the global average but lower than 500 COVID-19 deaths per million, and from 0.20% to 1.63% (median 0.71%) across 15 locations with more than 500 COVID-19 deaths per million. The corrected estimates of the median infection fatality rate were 0.09%, 0.20% and 0.57%, respectively, for the three location groups. For people < 70 years old, the infection fatality rate of COVId-19 across 40 locations with available data ranged from 0.00% to 0.31% (median 0.05%); the corrected values were similar.

The quote is from page 7 of the report. 

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I don't know if it is OK to post links to the WHO, but here is a current report on mortality rates. For people under 70 (0.05) is the median mortality rate. https://www.who.int/bulletin/online_first/BLT.20.265892.pdf

The quote is from page 7 of the report. 

Thanks for posting this, and allow me to put that message in easily understandable language.

> In areas with high covid-19 mortality rate, when you got infected and you were under 70 years of age the risk of dying from it was approx 1 in 2000.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think it's going to be this way for a long time until everyone some feels safe again.

Not everyone is afraid of corona. I've far more risk of stroke or heart attack than I have of corona.

Agree with you as we're living in a very safe country. Almost every week I'm hearing from friends who have people they know getting infected. One got it months ago and has still not recovered. He's 55 and in great shape. Well, he was in great shape.

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Agree with you as we're living in a very safe country. Almost every week I'm hearing from friends who have people they know getting infected. One got it months ago and has still not recovered. He's 55 and in great shape. Well, he was in great shape.

Actually, from what he reports it seems he lives in a perilous location called New Zealand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for posting this, and allow me to put that message in easily understandable language.

> In areas with high covid-19 mortality rate, when you got infected and you were under 70 years of age the risk of dying from it was approx 1 in 2000.

Hardly worth worrying about...

Hospitalised COVID-19 patients hit record 90,000 in US ahead of expected surge

New York: The number of COVID-19 patients being treated in hospitals across the United States has reached 90,000 after nearly doubling in the past month, just as holiday gatherings are expected to propel the next wave of infections.

The rate of hospitalisations – now at the highest level since the pandemic began – has pushed some hospitals beyond capacity, and comes after weeks of rising infection rates across the country. That is likely to increase as people who mingled with relatives and friends over Thanksgiving on Thursday gradually get sick, health experts say.

Coronavirus: Hospitalised COVID-19 patients hit record 90,000 in US ahead of expected surge (smh.com.au)

Edited by placeholder

22 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

I'd really like to be told how many that succumb are unhealthy- diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol etc.

That would indicate if there is a case for isolating the unhealthy and allowing everyone else to get on with life. We already know that the aged should be isolated.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd really like to be told how many that succumb are unhealthy- diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol etc.

That would indicate if there is a case for isolating the unhealthy and allowing everyone else to get on with life. We already know that the aged should be isolated.

And exactly how do you isolate these people? Have robots take care of them?

Edited by placeholder

On 11/29/2020 at 11:03 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Well, considering that you claim to be living in New Zealand, that's hardly surprising, is it?