Plan to grant work permits to foreigners who invest $1m clears first hurdle

webfact

8 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Really struggling to understand any sense or reason in this.

It shows the total lack of critical thinking and challenge in this country.

Why buy an Elite card and then invest USD 1 million ?
Surely just easier to set up an off the shelf company and get a WP that way ?

If you have an Elite card, why would you want a WP anyway ?

What real benefits are there for this ? Regular travel into Thailand is easy anyway, especially if you have an Elite card already. 

For once, the projected spending figures look vaguely reasonable 2,000/200m = 100,000 per month. Whether 2,000 will go for this though...

The cherry on the cake, they expect a billion USD of investment from this idea ????

Same thinking...

Wealthy Chinese and HK Chinese will be the customers for this. Its good thing in that respect, we (the average person who posts here) are not the target.

Things will not get easier for us mere mortals, if you follow what's happening in Malaysia and Philippines to stop abuse of their visa systems (esp "retirement") by mainlanders it follows that more controls will be enacted here for the "easier" visas that the majority of us here use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Only 1 million USD for a work permit wow what a tempting offer ????????

To maintain a work permit, you have to declare a minimum salary as well.  So you cough up $1million and then pay taxes.  Much more cost effective ways come to mind.  Anytime the Thai civil service offers you a deal, it is probably not a deal.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gerrytraveller said:

I think it is we who are not getting it.. this WILL be successful.  

The affluent Chinese will be 99% recipients of this policy. 

Just look at prooerty they are/have bought everywhere overseas with no visa permits.  E.g. Australia with no visa permits .. Here they will have a visa thrown in for good measure ..

Just watched the high end property market go up!!!

Better to relax and take some Chinese language lessons.

It doesn't get you a visa, it gets you a work permit if you already bought the top tier Elite visa AND invested 1 million USD for 5 years.

If you are a dollar millionaire with an Elite visa already, why would you need a work permit? And if you really do need one, why not just set up a company and get a work permit that way? Then you're free to invest as much or as little as you like in Thailand for as long as you like without the 1,000,000 USD tied up for 5 years.

This one baffles me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The measure is expected to generate Bt31 billion

Haha.... Not in 31 Billion years!
Instead of a no-sense work permit - the GOVERNMENT should decide freehold ownership of let's say 1 RAI of land!
Who cares about a work-permit?

8 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Great idea, invest in a business here and go broke

How about I leave the money in the bank and go bankrupt slowly

Come on, be more positive... you get to own 49% of the business of the business you invest 100% in. It’s a great deal!

• Haha 1

I can but a St Kitts passport for 10mn baht. That gets me nationality, the works for me and my family. Why would I pay 32 mn for an elite card and work permit to get one of the worst passports for visa free travel in the world? 

They wouldn't know how to run a pissup in a brewery. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MasterBaker said:

BTW does anyone know what happened with all those Chinese tourist who supposed to spend 500K during short term visit?

Last I heard, was one of them ate an under-cooked bat, which resulted in some Virus being spread around the world.

Don’t worry they will be back next year ????

• Haha 1

Apologies if it's already been posted (don't have time to read all replies), but surely anyone rich and daft enough to have $1,000,000 to invest here will already have plans for a visa, and have staff to get one the normal way... or other ways to stay in this fine land for as long as that money will last.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Chinese overlords will buy into it as they will want to work side by side with this government and will need a work permit for there hotel condos.

Even through your sarcasm I think you nailed who this is aimed at. Very wealthy Chinese looking to start/continue business in Thailand without some of the red tape restrictions. As usual the skint minority will scream its a ludicrous idea.