Plan to grant work permits to foreigners who invest $1m clears first hurdle

webfact

7 minutes ago, bipper said:

Most countries offer tax benefits to get foreign investment in. Then this must be the way to get the good guys in and keep the bad guys out?

???????? 

I see a laundry in your future Mr. Yuthasak Sipasorn.

Can I open up a new industrial clothes washing business in a warehouse and employ the chinese....sweat shop style....

1 million for the work permit only...? Waow this a proposal ....

I would have expected thai citizenship as a minimum. In other countries like Cyprus it is more attractive.

Now we all know that very very few.... huh  let's say ....NOBODY will be interested by this .....very expensive thai work permit, sorry !

What a nonsense. Two million baht registered capital means one work permit for a foreigner. In my company I have 4 Mio. B registered so I could employ another foreigner. Let's say as a Black Friday special I will offer this work permit for only 500thousend US$ of course. ????

16 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I just sold a bunch of my Google stock and was planning to blow at least a million of it on bargirls and drugs. 

This sounds like a much better investment even though I don't really want a work permit. Where do I sign up? Can I pay by check or does it have to be cash in a brown envelope? 

Invest 1/2 million on girls and drugs, the other half on brown envelopes.  You'll get a much better payback much sooner. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Traubert said:

The TV pundits say the Chinese are all skint.

They all follow the flag round Walking Street and eat noodles on the pavement.

Sure, those are the ones you see in the area you frequent.  Do you seriously think wealthy Chinese are going to spend their time on the walking street or even Pattaya for that matter?  You are dealing with the effects of confirmation bias.

On 11/19/2020 at 10:27 AM, OnTheRun said:

Kudos to you mate, in almost 20 years residing in Thailand I know 1 person who has made his money (rich) within Thailand, everyone else made it before moving here. I don't doubt you have but for you to know 24 such people seems to be a bit of an over statement.

Umm, not really.  I have been here for 30 years so plenty of opportunity to meet a couple of dozen foreigners who have been successful in Thailand.  I also suspect it has a lot to do with where and whom you spend your time with.  Certainly a few of these have made their fortunes while living in Thailand but with the majority of their sales/profit coming from international markets.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, Pilotman said:

In my former life, my intentional airline wanted to open a large office in BKK and open a remote facility of our  Florida Training Academy, to train our own crews in Asian specific operations outside the home base and provide international training opportunities in all aspect of aviation, including maintenance, general engineering, flying and ground support.  The obstacles put in place by the Thai government to form what would have been a joint venture with Thai Airways made it impossible and we walked away from it.  I couldn't believe their short sightedness and  lack of vision. The  facility went to the Philippines.  Doing big business here is a nightmare, unless you are Chinese. 

Thailand's own version of the Chinese led deep swamp, can imagine for decades, all those chinese nationalists behind the scenes in associations, bureaucracy, and big business,(led by CCP), always making sure that non-chinese foreigners can never own land or businesses en masse

On 11/19/2020 at 9:37 AM, ThailandRyan said:

The Chinese overlords will buy into it as they will want to work side by side with this government and will need a work permit for there hotel condos.

Exactly, this is tailored to the Chinese, just like everything else these days.

The continuing quest for a quick fix, but alas there is none. Better to accept the fact it’s going to be years, not months, before tourism returns to normal levels, if ever. The question is how do we overcome more than 2 trillion baht of tourism revenue shortfall? Not going to happen overnight and this ill-conceived plan amounts to nothing more than a pimple on an elephant’s rear-end.

4 hours ago, Rancid said:

Exactly, this is tailored to the Chinese, just like everything else these days.

The average and even above average Chinese investors will not be fleeing China to come here anytime soon. I could see a scenario cooked up by CCP to take advantage of the situation, though. Even in light of the current political unrest. 

On 11/19/2020 at 9:12 PM, DavisH said:

If I had a US $1M to invest, why on earth would I want a work permit? lol. Coe as a retiree and live off the interest. Any tefler can get a WP and not to invest such silly money. Honestly, who comes up with these ideas? 

As George Best once said - "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered".