Thai embassies scrap 500k THB financial requirement for single entry tourist visa

It's to late for the tourist industry now, high season is effectively lost already even if they fully opened sans quarantine today, people generally book holidays months in advance.

And you are reading go much into the constantly changing requirements, it's more incompetence and infighting

They (Auntin with  Health, TAT and CAAT) made it all so complicated, confusing and difficult  they did not even get half of the tiny 1200 per month they planned on. 

What seems to be happening now is Interior and Foreigner Affairs  finally seem to be getting upper hand on Anutin and their  STV stupidity and are able to bypass them to implement more workable and simplified frameworks

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing..!!

dropping the 500,000 to attract more tourists.. 
I see they have also just introduced a discount domestic travel and accommodation plan for expats living currently in Thailand..
Apparently the penny has only just dropped that this could be a good source of increasing domestic tourism..!!
Truly amazing..

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

How many days left until they reduce / remove the quarantine? Tourist money is too tempting. But could be a very expensive experience in the end. 

Reduction to 10 days quarantine (from 14 days ) was an agenda item for the Thai cabinet meeting 15 Nov 2020. Nothing happened. 

Will it ever be debated by cabinet? 

I have travelled many places throughout my life. I had a great job, purchased a home and raised my children with sports and activities. Most younger families plan for holidays by saving money all year putting aside cash after mortgages, car and household expenses are paid. For many years during this time we did not have an extra 500000 baht laying in the bank but we had a good life without want or need and enjoyed an annual family holiday. I believe many people and families around the world do the same. I am happy to see that this requirement at least was dropped so younger families can come to Thailand as I did when I was   In my 30’s. 

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Reduction to 10 days quarantine (from 14 days ) was an agenda item for the Thai cabinet meeting 15 Nov 2020. Nothing happened. 

Will it ever be debated by cabinet? 

Approval refused; proposal to be resubmitted in 4 weeks.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1192868-ccsa-postpones-public-health-ministry’s-plan-to-shorten-mandatory-quarantine/

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

With most Western countries experiencing upwards of 20,000 new infections a day....do you seriously want Thailand to stop or even reduce quarateine...The figures already for ASQ show over 700 have returned carrying the virus

I think you will find that a huge reason for the positive test case numbers is that in Europe they're increasing testing all the time, hence more positives. And that in Thailand they only test people in quarantine, going to prison and for special reasons. Hence the lack of positives, and the blame all going to returnees.

Like many others, I feel that the virus is very much here and was probably a year ago.

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Do we know about any other embassies? Do they still have the 500k requirement?

Slowly being updated around the world. Australia:

TR_Single_12082019-pdf.png.5087be5cd92355361051f72e1a2947fb.png

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Why did they introduce the new 9 month tourist visa then? I thought the borders were only open to particular categories of visas that didn't include the common tourist.

It's a fairly rapidly changing world. Check the embassy website in your country.

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

I continue to be confused. Are you saying there are still SETV available for Americans? Why did they introduce the new 9 month tourist visa then? I thought the borders were only open to particular categories of visas that didn't include the common tourist.

The SETV is available to all nationalities now.

The STV is only available in low risk countries and some of those were allowed at first now cannot get them since their case went up.

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I continue to be confused. Are you saying there are still SETV available for Americans? Why did they introduce the new 9 month tourist visa then? I thought the borders were only open to particular categories of visas that didn't include the common tourist.

The SETV has recently been reintroduced with a 500k in home bank requirement, now the 500k requirement has been removed.

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The SETV is available to all nationalities now.

That's the big news then in my opinion. I take it that ALL visa categories are now available? 

Where does that leave us with the STV? The last I heard it had some steep financial requirements but they've been changing the rules constantly. Seems to me like they're going to kill this new category since it doesn't really make much sense anymore.

22 minutes ago, sweetserenity said:

They must have a certificate as proof that they arent infected before theyre allowed entrance so no reason to worry

Lol theres a laugh and joke. How many of these certificates do you think are actually going to be legitimate. With so many countries have some many different types of certificate to say your negatvie the copies will start if they havent already started coming out. No way to check all these certificates officially so that shoots the certification proof out the window.

So really every reason to worry not  no reason.

9 minutes ago, stretch5163 said:

Lol theres a laugh and joke. How many of these certificates do you think are actually going to be legitimate. With so many countries have some many different types of certificate to say your negatvie the copies will start if they havent already started coming out. No way to check all these certificates officially so that shoots the certification proof out the window.

So really every reason to worry not  no reason.

That may be so but who in their right mind would risk getting turned back for a dodgy certificate when it's not that expensive to be legit 

15 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

That's the big news then in my opinion. I take it that ALL visa categories are now available? 

Where does that leave us with the STV? The last I heard it had some steep financial requirements but they've been changing the rules constantly. Seems to me like they're going to kill this new category since it doesn't really make much sense anymore.

Yep I would advise anybody going through that process to pull and wait a few months as the extortion layers continue to get peeled back 

If they want tourism back then first the quarantine has to be dropped.

Require a Covid test prior to leaving and upon arrival.

Eliminate the insurance and charge each tourist a "landing fee" of between 500 and 1000 baht.  With millions of tourists the fund would have more than enough to cover any bills not paid for by a visiting tourist.  However I am sure the insurance companies Payola to those in power would not be happy. 

I have traveled throughout the world and never have I been asked to prove I have sufficient funds to travel.  If people  can't pay for  food, hotel, transportation, do you really think they will be coming to Thailand.  I think they are "providing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist" 

When I vaccine is available you could add that as a requirement. 

Beyond those and tourists will just go elsewhere.  Thailand is not the only country that offers warm weather, nice beaches and tourist attractions. 

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

With most Western countries experiencing upwards of 20,000 new infections a day....do you seriously want Thailand to stop or even reduce quarantine...The figures already for ASQ show over 700 have returned carrying the virus

Are you talking about 700 people that tested positive in ASQ, or 700 people being infectuous ('carrying the virus') and having symptoms.

I am getting so tired of posters that do not seem to understand the distinction, or pretending not to understand for scaremongering purposes. ????

2 hours ago, sweetserenity said:

I tried to order the health insurance on that website you showed me, but it said this

“ For Special Tourist Visa (STV), a separate Health Insurance Policy is required. The limit sum insured for In-Patient is not less than THB 400,000 and for Out-Patient is not less than THB 40,000 ”

To apply the Online Health Policy, please click https://longstay.tgia.org

So i checked the longstay link, and found many insurance companies, but it doesnt seem like i can order online from them?

You are confusing the insurance requirement for the STV (which is same as for a Non Imm O-A Visa except that only Thai insurance companies are allowed), and the insurance requirement for covid-19 - as stipulated on the CoE - which everybody needs to comply with for entering Thailand.

1 hour ago, Lashay said:

At this point it's a pretty sure bet quarantine is not going until vaccination is widespread, they got the population to scared to accept it going under any other circumstance .

This.

In addition, as I said in another thread, I would expect that (once it's available) they'll adopt the same policy for CoVid-19 vaccination that they have for yellow fever. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai embassies in London and Washington appear to have scrapped the recent requirement for foreigners applying for a Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV) to show proof of  funds totalling 500,000 THB or equivalent.

Backpackers of the world are rejoicing everywhere...

Sarcasm alert

2 hours ago, JP canada said:

.... I am happy to see that this requirement at least was dropped so younger families can come to Thailand as I did when I was   In my 30’s. 

I am happy too for those wanting to come to Thailand that they scrapped the requirement to provide evidence of the equivalent of 500.000 THB on your bank-account for 6 months (the money was never the problem, but that you had to provide evidence of such an amount parked on your bank-account for six months).

However, I do not see younger families with children now opting for a Thai holiday when the first 2 weeks of that holiday would be in SEPARATE quarantained hotel-rooms.

Let's face it, only those with a strong compelling reason to return to Thailand will apply as long as the mandatory quarantaine is upheld.

Still listed as a requirement in AU....

Proof of adequate finance – copy of updated bank statement with a minimum balance of THB 500,000 or AUD 25,000 maintaining in bank account in the last 6 months

Must think aussies are rich, our dollar is also the worst performing against the baht.

Archived