Thai embassies scrap 500k THB financial requirement for single entry tourist visa

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai embassies scrap 500k THB financial requirement for single entry tourist visa

Oh, what a surprise - hopefully they will not now try to promote this as a courtesy to foreigners. Sadly, Thailand has yet again shot itself in the foot. In the last few years, rather than damage limitation to itself, the country has been excellent at alienating itself in the eyes of others.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Take it easy boys, too early to celebrate as tomorrow, most likely someone's feverish minds will come up with another gem of an idea how to make the lives of those seeking to come to Thailand even more confusing and difficult..

Probably even simpler - they will enforce the "show ThB500k in the bank for the last 6 months" when you arrive. If you can't do so, well there may be an agent handy who can help, or else you turn round and go back to your country - sorry, no refunds...

8 hours ago, sweetserenity said:

By the thai government, 4th phrase reopening

That just isn't going to happen. Heck, they extend the state of emergency even though there has been barely a case of community transmission on months. Try Jan 2021, and that would be dependent whether tourists have been vaccinated or not. Evwn then, tourist numbers will be realtively low. 

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think peole would rather the quarantine be removed, the insurance isnt much and probably not a bad idea

Yeah, except most tourists contemplating a trip to Thailand are probably quite healthy and have money for the odd hospital bill.

(most of which will probably never eventuate anyway).

So forcing people to throw away money on insurance for things that will most probably never happen,

just spells SCAM in my book.

Most people who have money are not in the habit of throwing it way,

and do not appreciate being scammed.

Mandatory insurance is just ONE of many silly things that will deter folks from choosing Thailand when all things are being considered.

I love Thailand too, but it aint that great that one should have to beg and grovel for a visa AND put up with government sanctioned scams. 

There will be plenty of other nice places to choose from once travel opens up again.

Places where you will get treated better, and where governments don't openly encourage xenophobia.  

10 hours ago, bdenner said:

A breath of fresh air. Some embassy staff with more common sense than their counterparts here in Thailand.

still a waste of effort.. only the needy will come and it will not help thai economy much at all.....

There is now much talk of vaccine being available in UK and other countries by the end of the year.  Does anyone have any idea of how Thailand will react to this? 

For instance, a logical approach might be to allow in anyone who has been vaccinated, and has proof of this.  No need for Quarantine or Covid test, just vaccine certificate.  Is this too logical for Thailand to contemplate?  Will this start a market for fake vaccine certificates?

Will Thailand insist on only the Thai vaccine, that seems to have stalled (anyone surprised at this?)

I can see the possibility of Thailand only accepting a vaccine made or administered in Thailand by Thai Dr.  Thus making money for Thailand.

How many would chance a vaccine made in Thailand and offered without full International testing and approval?

Anyone doubting the competence of Thai officials involved in setting entry requirements, should download the 'Fit to Fly'  certificate and see how relevant it is.

Can we expect Thailand to follow what seems to be a perfectly logical approach?

Do the 'high ups' in government actually want to start mass tourism again, or would they prefer to keep the present situation where Thailand is cut off from the world?

53 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

I rather expect neighboring countries to follow TH approach, instead of going their own way. Do NOT expect that the ASQ will be scrapped before May 2021! Japan said they will start in April a pre-Olympics strategy with entry based on just a negative PCR-Test.

1 month ago I would have laughed at anyone telling me that TH will let in genuine tourists. Now its reality, but still lots of guys are complaining. 99% of the genuine tourists won`t accept the ASQ, but I guess most in this forum have more ties to TH then just being genuine tourists.

Right now you can get a nice ASQ + Health Insurance for 3 months + PCR Test for around 50-60k THB. That`s quite cheap to be able to visit loved ones /friends or whoever! There will always be cheap-charlys who complain about everything, but that's it.

I think the problem is not really in the requirements or the cost. It's the fact that it's all a gamble. With all the risk sitting in the lap of the tourist. 

I apply for a COE, get approved to book everything , it turns out I have to prepay for pretty much everything,  and if my visa is denied there is no refund. The same if the COE is not sent back. The same if the PCR test is positive or late.  That last one is a killer, since it normally takes up to 72 hours to get the results.

If this crazy offer was packaged with any kind of safe-guards or guarantees, then the cost wouldn't be so bad. But as it now stands, there's a significant risk you might pay THB 150,000 and still get nothing. 

Is there any official word of the THB 500K requirement being withdrawn? Or is it just conjecture based on the actions of a few embassies? (Maybe not conjecture so much as good reasoning based on experience with the Thai government's standard style of backtracking, but still a guess.) 

2 minutes ago, androokery said:

But as it now stands, there's a significant risk you might pay THB 150,000 and still get nothing. 

Or even better, get a false + in quarantine, dragged off to hospital without any symptoms for a minimum 14 days and find out the small print in your covid insurance states it doesn't kick in for the first 15 days :coffee1:

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Or even better, get a false + in quarantine, dragged off to hospital without any symptoms for a minimum 14 days and find out the small print in your covid insurance states it doesn't kick in for the first 15 days :coffee1:

Is that small print real or just something you worry about?

8 minutes ago, androokery said:

Still not scrapped at "my" Thai embassy...

That sucks, Australia updated (back to 20K) and other countries have too. Keep an eye on it, perhaps in the next 24 hours for yours with luck.

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, get a negative covid test, buy insurance and quarantine, you can come to Thailand.

The link is a legitimate link of Thai insurance companies offering the insurance, its listed on embassy websites as where to buy insurance.

Don't forget that the first 14 days of the $100.00 insurance scam  do not count, yet that is the most likely time to catch it, when you are out of the country.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Don't forget that the first 14 days of the $100.00 insurance scam  do not count, yet that is the most likely time to catch it, when you are out of the country.

You are wrong. There are some companies that may have that clause. The insurance on the TGIA website starts on entry or before.

9 hours ago, Oldie said:

They think more and more often to reduce the quarantine. And the pressure gets higher and higher. The tourism industry and the entertainment industry wants to see money as long as there is the main season. Bad for them that at the same time there are the highest Covid rates in very many countries.

But first they allowed only tourists from safe countries, then from high risk countries with financial requirements and now without financial requirements. Problem could be that they get too many tourists that have Corona. Too many to handle. Other problem could be that the Covid numbers in tourist areas go up. This might keep local tourists away. And the main problem - if Corona is in the country at higher numbers it is very hard and expensive to get rid of it. But everything is up to them. I am just another (longtime) tourist.

"The figures already for ASQ show over 700 have returned carrying the virus."  Did many of these people had to pay hospital costs? What percentage of these people were not Thai?

People talk like Thailand is the only country in the world with travel restrictions, Most countries in the world have restrictions and conditions for entry at the moment, visa's, insurance, quarantine etc etc

I dare say its just as difficult and costly to visit any countries in the region

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are wrong. There are some companies that may have that clause. The insurance on the TGIA website starts on entry or before.

That's fair enough Joe, But as it has been well documented here on Thaivisa, I wonder how many people have insured with companies that have that clause, and ended paying for their hospital treatment.

10 hours ago, 2long said:

Any news on the smart watch tracking things that can give the wearer a full medical diagnosis while tracking their whereabouts and forewarning the locals that a dirty infected farang is nearby? That story only lasted 48 hours, didn't it?

Still required, 200 baht a day.

54 minutes ago, androokery said:

Is that small print real or just something you worry about?

Sorry, just noticed the question. There has been reports of some policies actually have that clause; as always, caveat emptor, make sure you understand what cover you're buying.

10 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

drop quarantine and $100k covid insurance and Thailand will be open. 

Open to the Corona Virus. Let's take things slowly. The vaccine should soon be here. Have patience. Keep the quarantine until the vaccine arrives.

If not wrong, even being issued COE at your country and landed in BKK by flight. 

All your COE required documents still need to check again before proceed to immigration for entry. 

If received COE without this THB 500k condition means risking of being rejected to entry at airport...

1 minute ago, Calvin1976 said:

All your COE required documents still need to check again before proceed to immigration for entry. 

If received COE without this THB 500k condition means risking of being rejected to entry at airport...

If that was the case you wouldn't get a visa in the first place or get boarded at departure.

10 minutes ago, Calvin1976 said:

Immigration will only want to see the COE, covid 19 test, fit to fly certificate and a valid visa in your passport.

Archived