One dead, 7 hurt as car demolishes roadside Chiang Rai restaurant

webfact

By THE NATION

800_29fe27e68530cca.jpg?v=1605749645

One person was killed and seven others injured after a car crashed into a restaurant in Chiang Rai’s Mae Rai subdistrict in Mae Jan district on Wednesday night.

Police were alerted at 11pm to the accident at the roadside restaurant opposite PT gas station. At the scene they found a body of an identified man with multiple wounds after he was thrown out of his car and seven injured persons, most being restaurant customers.

d1srg8xJaRp1F7jr_104928.jpg

Witnesses reportedly told officers that they saw the red car, which was travelling at high speed, crash into the restaurant and some parked motorcycles before hitting an electricity pole. The impact threw the driver out of the car.

PixAhQQbdQ0GjvHh_104838.jpg

The seven were reported to have suffered from non-critical injuries. Five were taken to Mae Jan hospital while two others were sent to Mae Sai hospital.

Among those hurt is an 8-year-old boy, who was scalded by boiling water from an overturned noodle pot.

Police are gathering evidence to identify the driver and the cause of the accident.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398182

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-19

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

By THE NATION

800_29fe27e68530cca.jpg?v=1605749645

One person was killed and seven others injured after a car crashed into a restaurant in Chiang Rai’s Mae Rai subdistrict in Mae Jan district on Wednesday night.

Police were alerted at 11pm to the accident at the roadside restaurant opposite PT gas station. At the scene they found a body of an identified man with multiple wounds after he was thrown out of his car and seven injured persons, most being restaurant customers.

d1srg8xJaRp1F7jr_104928.jpg

Witnesses reportedly told officers that they saw the red car, which was travelling at high speed, crash into the restaurant and some parked motorcycles before hitting an electricity pole. The impact threw the driver out of the car.

PixAhQQbdQ0GjvHh_104838.jpg

The seven were reported to have suffered from non-critical injuries. Five were taken to Mae Jan hospital while two others were sent to Mae Sai hospital.

Among those hurt is an 8-year-old boy, who was scalded by boiling water from an overturned noodle pot.

Police are gathering evidence to identify the driver and the cause of the accident.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398182

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-19

I have never felt comfortable eating at one of these places next to a roadway.

• Like 2

I hope the road was closed off.  In the last pic not only is a vile scooter parked in the road ( unless that was one the car hit ) but people wandering around willy bloody nilly. All it needs is a passing car with the drivier having a gander and oops , more ambulances needed.

Hope they heal fast, and recover.  The restaurant was not a drive thru apparently, even though the driver thought it was.  The roadside restaurant's where people sit on the sidewalks or eat at the curbside has always bothered me, and is why I will not stop and eat at them as I do not want to be a potential target by an errant cyclist or vehicle.  

5 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

Good reporting by the original author. First it claims that the dead man was "identified" and then the report concludes that the police are still trying to identify the same deceased man!

He was identified as being unidentified? I guess for a brief period the driver was a UFO. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

Good reporting by the original author. First it claims that the dead man was "identified" and then the report concludes that the police are still trying to identify the same deceased man!

As a journalist I've worked with the Thai version, and not one of them would last a week in the real world. I experienced one making three factual errors in his opening paragraph.