Transferwise

Should anyone wish to use transferwise as a means of showing an international transfer, make sure you use Kasikornbank and NOT Bangkok Bank as previously suggested on here, as they use Kasikorn as an intermediary bank and it will only show as a Thai bank to bank transfer and not international. I’ve had to go to Kasikorn in silom to get the transfer confirmed as international, not a huge issue, but still inconvenient and I’ve lost 2 mornings work trying to sort it out. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you say so.....my transfers direct to Bangkok Bank are noted as International so long as I check the second reason for transfer as being for; "Long stay in Thailand." Been doing it like this for three years now.

Do you work for Kasikorn or just touting? The rundown for transfers to Kasikorn is also in the link below.

https://transferwise.com/help/articles/2932335/thb-transfers

57 minutes ago, leeedwards said:

... I’ve had to go to Kasikorn in silom to get the transfer confirmed as international, not a huge issue, but still inconvenient and I’ve lost 2 mornings work trying to sort it out. 

I did PM you a Guideline document on TransferWise and how to ensure that - whichever Thai bank you are transferring the funds to - that you can get hold of the IO-required evidence that the funds originated from abroad.

> To access your PM-message just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

56 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I did PM you a Guideline document on TransferWise and how to ensure that - whichever Thai bank you are transferring the funds to - that you can get hold of the IO-required evidence that the funds originated from abroad.

> To access your PM-message just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

can you also send me a PM-message please, I use the krungsri bank.

1 hour ago, teetersb said:

I use Bangkok Bank too with no problems showing FTT transfer for over 1 year.

Same to me.

Don't know whether it is relevant:

when sending from German account you have to specify purpose of transfer.

I select funds for foreign long term stay.

Just checked Bangkok bankbook and every transfer back to last year clearly an "FTT".

So the general statement in the OP is not correct.

I have my monthly income paid into a bank that is not a partner bank of T/W and therefor I do not get FTT codes on my statements.

It hasn't prevented me from getting 2 extensions so far since the demise of the embassy letters, so I do wonder what all the fuss is about.

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I have my monthly income paid into a bank that is not a partner bank of T/W and therefor I do not get FTT codes on my statements.

It hasn't prevented me from getting 2 extensions so far since the demise of the embassy letters, so I do wonder what all the fuss is about.

The FTT-code to indicate that it is an 'international transfer' is only used by BangkokBank.  Other Thai banks use different codes. 

Either your IO is knowledgeable on the codes used by your Bank and knows that it stands for an international transfer, or you provide additional evidence that it are indeed international transfers on your personal Thai bank-account.

Alternatively you are 'lucky' that you have an easy-going Imm officer handling your application at your local IO, which trusts that your transfers are indeed from foreign origins and doesn't bother putting you through the hassle of providing evidence.

44 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The FTT-code to indicate that it is an 'international transfer' is only used by BangkokBank.  Other Thai banks use different codes. 

Either your IO is knowledgeable on the codes used by your Bank and knows that it stands for an international transfer, or you provide additional evidence that it are indeed international transfers on your personal Thai bank-account.

Alternatively you are 'lucky' that you have an easy-going Imm officer handling your application at your local IO, which trusts that your transfers are indeed from foreign origins and doesn't bother putting you through the hassle of providing evidence.

By presenting the TransferWise transaction slips, married up to the entries on my bank statements, I proved, beyond any reasonable doubt,  that they were foreign sourced deposits.

The codes on the statements were indistinguishable from domestic transfers, because as far as Krungsri is concerned, that's what they were. I don't think the IO even took any notice of them.

To be fair, I have to say that our immigration staff are fairly easy going, but none the less, I still had to provide the proof, which I did.

4 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

If you say so.....my transfers direct to Bangkok Bank are noted as International so long as I check the second reason for transfer as being for; "Long stay in Thailand." Been doing it like this for three years now.

Do you work for Kasikorn or just touting? The rundown for transfers to Kasikorn is also in the link below.

https://transferwise.com/help/articles/2932335/thb-transfers

Regardless of what has previously happened to you lucky lucky people, my transfers showed up as Thai bank to bank, fact. If there was a specific additional procedure I was supposed to do while making these transactions, then frankly I was unaware of them, what an ignorant fool I must be. So, as Moonlover can confirm, they don’t automatically show as a foreign transfer. This was my experience this week and all I’m trying to do is warn others. Maybe trying to help and having empathy is not common on here. 

5 hours ago, leeedwards said:

Should anyone wish to use transferwise as a means of showing an international transfer, make sure you use Kasikornbank and NOT Bangkok Bank as previously suggested on here, as they use Kasikorn as an intermediary bank and it will only show as a Thai bank to bank transfer and not international. I’ve had to go to Kasikorn in silom to get the transfer confirmed as international, not a huge issue, but still inconvenient and I’ve lost 2 mornings work trying to sort it out.

Transferwise use Bangkok bank, Kasikorn and TMB as their transfer partners in Thailand.  Bangkok Bank accounts are the only ones that will automatically show as international, and only if TW have used Bangkok Bank as the transfer partner.

This should happen automatically when you select the correct option as the reason for transfer, however TW indicated from the introduction that it was not 100% guaranteed, as if there was a technical fault transferring via Bangkok Bank their systems would automatically use one of the alternatives.

Yours is the first claim I recall of this going awry, if indeed you used the correct procedure which seems unlikely from your post.

24 minutes ago, treetops said:

Transferwise use Bangkok bank, Kasikorn and TMB as their transfer partners in Thailand.  Bangkok Bank accounts are the only ones that will automatically show as international, and only if TW have used Bangkok Bank as the transfer partner.

This should happen automatically when you select the correct option as the reason for transfer, however TW indicated from the introduction that it was not 100% guaranteed, as if there was a technical fault transferring via Bangkok Bank their systems would automatically use one of the alternatives.

Yours is the first claim I recall of this going awry, if indeed you used the correct procedure which seems unlikely from your post.

Doesn’t say Bangkok Bank or TMB as you can clearly see. 

What is the correct option for reason of transfer then as this seems to be my problem. 

703521DC-63A2-4E03-AA84-8166B0424E46.jpeg

4 minutes ago, leeedwards said:

Doesn’t say Bangkok Bank or TMB as you can clearly see. 

What is the correct option for reason of transfer then as this seems to be my problem.

Already been mentioned a couple of times in the thread, but it's "Funds for long term stay in Thailand" or words to that effect.  It's the last one on the pull down list of reasons.

19 minutes ago, treetops said:

Already been mentioned a couple of times in the thread, but it's "Funds for long term stay in Thailand" or words to that effect.  It's the last one on the pull down list of reasons.

And even if it goes awry when selecting that option (only works when BangkokBank is the receiving Bank), you can always use the TransferWise receipts to prove that your transfers originated from abroad.

50 minutes ago, treetops said:

The page where you are asked "what is the reason for this transfer" and there is a drop down list of possible answers, you can select "....funds for long term stay in Thailand"   I've only used Bangkok Bank as recipient bank, so this option was always visible in the dropdown.   The catch is that you will wait until 14:01 on the day of transfer to receive funds, but it shows as int'l transfer.   And if you have int'l transfer text alert, it will show. 

But I'm not sure if other thai banks will do this also; I have not tested.   But it does work with Bangkok Bank.

30 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

And even if it goes awry when selecting that option (only works when BangkokBank is the receiving Bank), you can always use the TransferWise receipts to prove that your transfers originated from abroad.

Prove to whom?   The transfer code that shows in the passbook is different for local vs int'l transfers.  

If you are referring to satisfactory proof for immigration office, YMMV.

3 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

Prove to whom?   The transfer code that shows in the passbook is different for local vs int'l transfers.  

If you are referring to satisfactory proof for immigration office, YMMV.

Proof to your local Imm office of course, nobody else is interested whether the transfer you made had foreign origins or not.

Many reports from applicants successfully using TransferWise receipts to provide evidence of the above.  But indeed you might encounter the rogue Imm officer that might not accept such TW receipt (although I did not see any reports of such receipts not being accepted).

31 minutes ago, leeedwards said:

I have transfer receipts and confirmation from Kasikorn so hopefully it’ll be ok. Thanks for the heads up on which reason to select in future. 

Hi Lee,

Be aware of the following.

Yes, Kasikorn is one of TWs partner banks, but contrary to Bangkok Bank, when the money arrives at their HQs (even when you clicked the "long term stay in Thailand" as reason for the transfer), Kasikorn Bank HeadQuarters will not act on that info but will simply transfer the funds to your local Kasikorn branch, where they will show up as a 'domestic' transfer.

But you can order your local Kasikorn Bank branch to provide you with so-called Credit Advice receipts for such transfers on a monthly basis (free) as proof of each monthly transfer.
If you require back-dated copies more than 3 months, then a fee is charged.
When banking with Kasikorn Bank you will thus require such Credit Advice receipts for each transfer during the 12 months preceding your next 1-year extension application, and you will need to order them monthly from your local branch.

>> Alternatively you could of course also make use of the TransferWise receipts as evidence that your transfer originated from abroad.  That Transfer Receipt is accepted by most Immigration Offices as it mentions the routing your foreign transfer followed and thus provides irrefutable evidence that the transfer on your Bank statement and bankbook originated from abroad.

44 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

>> Alternatively you could of course also make use of the TransferWise receipts as evidence that your transfer originated from abroad.  That Transfer Receipt is accepted by most Immigration Offices as it mentions the routing your foreign transfer followed and thus provides irrefutable evidence that the transfer on your Bank statement and bankbook originated from abroad.

"Irrefutable" evidence?  The transferee might like to think that but if the immigration office wants to see a "Thai bank" document saying the funds originated from outside Thailand then you are going to need a Thai bank doc like a Credit Advice or Thai bank letter listing the transfer(s) as international.   The Thai bank doc will be irrefutable evidence based on immigration rules but a foreign transfer company/bank doc may not be irrefutable in the eyes of immigration.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

"Irrefutable" evidence?  The transferee might like to think that but if the immigration office wants to see a "Thai bank" document saying the funds originated from outside Thailand then you are going to need a Thai bank doc like a Credit Advice or Thai bank letter listing the transfer(s) as international.   The Thai bank doc will be irrefutable evidence based on immigration rules but a foreign transfer company/bank doc may not be irrefutable in the eyes of immigration.

Yes , you are correct .  It is irrefutable evidence that the transfer originated from abroad, ut indeed you might encounter the rogue Imm officer that might not accept such TW receipt (although I did not see any reports of such receipts not being accepted).

3 hours ago, leeedwards said:

Regardless of what has previously happened to you lucky lucky people, my transfers showed up as Thai bank to bank, fact. If there was a specific additional procedure I was supposed to do while making these transactions, then frankly I was unaware of them, what an ignorant fool I must be. So, as Moonlover can confirm, they don’t automatically show as a foreign transfer. This was my experience this week and all I’m trying to do is warn others. Maybe trying to help and having empathy is not common on here. 

I strongly suspect that the route cause of your difficulties with TransferWise lies in the fact that Kasikorn, for reasons best known only unto themselves, choose not to designate transfers from abroad with a specific code clearly denoting this, in stark contrast to Bangkok Bank and its FTT code.

IMHO your best course of action is to open an account with Bangkok Bank and inform Kasikorn in no uncertain terms where they can stick your account with them - just as I did several years ago when I was a victim of ATM fraud thanks to their appallingly lax security procedures.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Proof to your local Imm office of course, nobody else is interested whether the transfer you made had foreign origins or not.

Many reports from applicants successfully using TransferWise receipts to provide evidence of the above.  But indeed you might encounter the rogue Imm officer that might not accept such TW receipt (although I did not see any reports of such receipts not being accepted).

I do 3 transfers per month via TransferWise and the IO at Kamphaeng Phet will see that on my BBK statements and as long as my monthly income exceeds 40,000 thb per month she is happy.To make her life a little easier I have made up a small spreadsheet with the transfers in GBP and THB totaled up and dated with the TW transfer number, plus the forex rates of each transfer.

2 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

When applying for the NON-O visa with the 800K in bank, must the proof that money came

from abroad must be shown also when extending this visa, in the next or third year for the visa, or

only in the first time, first year, of applying to this visa?

Proof is only required when applying for 90 day non-o visa at immigration. After that it is no longer required.

1 minute ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

MUST those receipts be in the applicant name only, or any other name?

The receipts would have to show they were sent to "your Thai bank acct"....and since immigration requires the Thai bank acct you use for visa/extension of stay purposes to be in your name only the receipts would show your name and be using your Thai bank acct number.  

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

There is one repetitive poster on here who claims this and I vaguely recall one other back up claim, but certainly not many.  Are your reports from elsewhere?

Although I have not read reports of TW receipts being refused, I would certainly not be confident in relying on them.

Archived