Transferwise

11 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

If using the Bangkok Bank, and your transfer is made from the UK before 9:00AM Thailand time you will usually receive the 'transfer sent' email within about an hour or so and confirm your transfer should arrive the same day and within two hours of your transfer.(It will actually show up in your account  at around 2:15pm (Thai Time) because that's the time the bank will actually update your account.

If transferred after around 9:00AM the 'transfer sent' email be received on the next working day at around 9-10:00AM, and be in your account by 2:15PM thAT same day. 

Official Thai holidays, plus official UK holidays, will always delay transfers by at least one day for each of those days. 

Payment made yesterday 8:15, Thai time.

Got message and email that money would be available same day.

I didn't verify if money arrived yesterday. Got email today that there was a delay and will be credited today.

I am not working with BKK bank. I use UOB.

I checked my PDF receipt and it stated that it is a "local transfer" using BKK bank.

I ticked as reason for transfer "longterm stay".

Probably the reason is that I exchange GBP to my THB account with TransferWise (multi currency account) and then transfer to UOB.

The money I did send today will be available on 08th. That's not next working day.

Would it be better to send 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Payment made yesterday 8:15, Thai time.

Got message and email that money would be available same day.

I didn't verify if money arrived yesterday. Got email today that there was a delay and will be credited today.

I checked my PDF receipt and it stated that it is a "local transfer" using BKK bank.

I have experienced such delays occasionally.

My transfer yesterday took 2 seconds.

10 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Probably the reason is that I exchange GBP to my THB account with TransferWise (multi currency account) and then transfer to UOB.

UOB is not one of TW's partner banks so it's quite possible the that that there was a 'one off' delay in transfer from the Bangkok bank to UOB. 

4 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

The money I did send today will be available on 08th. That's not next working day.

The one I did today is expected to be credited on 08th.

Was done after 9am.

So you would expect todays transfer to arrive the next working day.

4th - Friday, Today 

5th - Saturday

6th - Sunday

7th - Monday (original holiday)

8th - Tuesday .......The next working day.

The dates/timeline I posted was a guideline to ensure transfers were received when expected.

Last year I spent a lot of time and effort with transfers to Thailand try to confirm when transfers would arrive from my UK Bank to my Bangkok Bank when using TW. An American poster (I think his name is Pib) did a similar thing with transfers from the US (with similarish results).

Although, over a period of months, times did vary a little (and a couple of transfers sent as late as 10:00+ arrived the same day) I found that to (virtually) guarantee a same day transfer, I had to initiate a transfer by around 9:00AM, THAILAND TIME, so that's that's the guideline time I use when giving general advice.

I'm sorry if this info didn't match your experience exactly but this type of timeline can never be given down to the last minute. The intension was to advise people on the best time to initiate a transfer to suit their requirements, most of which have been very happy. Sorry if it didn't meet yours. 

4 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

UOB is not one of TW's partner banks so it's quite possible the that that there was a 'one off' delay in transfer from the Bangkok bank to UOB. 

So you would expect todays transfer to arrive the next working day.

4th - Friday, Today 

5th - Saturday

6th - Sunday

7th - Monday (original holiday)

8th - Tuesday .......The next working day.

The dates/timeline I posted was a guideline to ensure transfers were received when expected.

Last year I spent a lot of time and effort with transfers to Thailand try to confirm when transfers would arrive from my UK Bank to my Bangkok Bank when using TW. An American poster (I think his name is Pib) did a similar thing with transfers from the US (with similarish results).

Although, over a period of months, times did vary a little (and a couple of transfers sent as late as 10:00+ arrived the same day) I found that to (virtually) guarantee a same day transfer, I had to initiate a transfer by around 9:00AM, THAILAND TIME, so that's that's the guideline time I use when giving general advice.

I'm sorry if this info didn't match your experience exactly but this type of timeline can never be given down to the last minute. The intension was to advise people on the best time to initiate a transfer to suit their requirements, most of which have been very happy. Sorry if it didn't meet yours. 

Thanks a lot.

The only thing what worries is the fact that on the PDF it comes up as a local transfer, using BKK bank.

I used this year my "affidavit" and not transfer was requested but you never know. I am preparing myself that next year, they might ask for monthly transfers or even the "affidavit" not more accepted.

2 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

The only thing what worries is the fact that on the PDF it comes up as a local transfer, using BKK bank.

If that is Transferwise PDF it is a local transfer to UOB but to Bangkok Bank is international as the source was from outside Thailand (whatever you used to fund the transfer).

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If that is Transferwise PDF it is a local transfer to UOB but to Bangkok Bank is international as the source was from outside Thailand (whatever you used to fund the transfer).

Always using my Transferwise account.

GBP in account, exchanging to THB and sending THB to Thailand (UOB via BKK bank apparently).

4 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

TW has three partner Thai banks (Bangkok, Kasikorn and TMB and all transfers will go via one of those banks. If they are not one of your requested banks, the transfer will be immediately transferred internally to your own bank using the Thai banking system.

Your TW PDF merely shows which partner bank TW used to initially transfer the money into Thailand  

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

Always using my Transferwise account.

GBP in account, exchanging to THB and sending THB to Thailand (UOB via BKK bank apparently).

Actually there is no real transfer - the GBP will remain in a UK account but the baht will be paid out of a Baht account in Thailand.  Much like the old systems that used merchants to perform this function - you give money in xx country and someone receives money in xxx country - supply and demand at its basic.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That has been changed. No holiday on the 7th now and then the 10th and 11th.

Ah explains why Immigration are closed on the 11trh as I heard today. Presume they will open on the 7th. Makes the Pattaya music festival more realistic on a 4 day weekend. 

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That has been changed. No holiday on the 7th now and then the 10th and 11th.

The Bank of Thailand has not cancelled the 7th as a bank holiday, but they did add the 11th. Presumably because they didn't announce an extra bank holiday for last month's long weekend.

So I wouldn't expect any money to arrive from abroad next week on 7th, 10th or 11th.

https://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialInstitutions/FIholiday/Pages/2020.aspx

21 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

I used this year my "affidavit" and not transfer was requested but you never know. I am preparing myself that next year, they might ask for monthly transfers or even the "affidavit" not more accepted.

It has been addressed already by other posters, but the TransferWise transfers you are doing will ALWAYS turn up as 'domestic' transfers at your UOB-account.  This because they ARE domestic transfers as the funds of your foreign bank-account will have been routed first to the Headquarter of one of TW's partner-banks (Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn or TMB) before being transmitted to your UOB bank-account.

If you want to prove the foreign origins of those transfers you can use the TransferWise transfer-receipts which will show the routing of the funds from your foreign bank-account via one of TW's 3 partner-banks to your personal Thai bank-account.

Most IO's will accept those TW transfer-receipts as proof of the foreign origin of the funds, but if you are not sure about whether your local IO would do so, you can use the TW transfer-receipt and go to a branche of the TW partner-bank that handled the transfer and request a 'Foreign Exchange Transfer Form' for the transfer made which will show the foreign origin, but this will invoke a fee for getting that form (and you would need to do that for each and every monthly transfer).

In your case however, there won't be the need to prove the foreign origins of the monthly transfers you are making, as you are a Belgian citizen and can apply - as you did last year - at the Belgian Embassy in Bangkok for an Affidavit stating that your foreign monthly income exceeds the equivalent of 65.000 THB monthly. 

And such affidavit will be in large majority of cases accepted by your local IO as proof of you meeting the financial requirements.  But your IO will NOT ask for proof of monthly foreign income transfers when using that Embassy-issued Affidavit-method, they might however ask you to show some evidence of the SOURCE of the monthly foreign income.

There is also the rare possibility that your local IO might ask you to show some evidence of funds/transactions on your Thai bank-account as proof of your living expenses, but as mentioned higher there is no need to prove the foreign origins of those transactions.

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

It has been addressed already by other posters, but the TransferWise transfers you are doing will ALWAYS turn up as 'domestic' transfers at your UOB-account.  This because they ARE domestic transfers as the funds of your foreign bank-account will have been routed first to the Headquarter of one of TW's partner-banks (Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn or TMB) before being transmitted to your UOB bank-account.

If you want to prove the foreign origins of those transfers you can use the TransferWise transfer-receipts which will show the routing of the funds from your foreign bank-account via one of TW's 3 partner-banks to your personal Thai bank-account.

Most IO's will accept those TW transfer-receipts as proof of the foreign origin of the funds, but if you are not sure about whether your local IO would do so, you can use the TW transfer-receipt and go to a branche of the TW partner-bank that handled the transfer and request a 'Foreign Exchange Transfer Form' for the transfer made which will show the foreign origin, but this will invoke a fee for getting that form (and you would need to do that for each and every monthly transfer).

In your case however, there won't be the need to prove the foreign origins of the monthly transfers you are making, as you are a Belgian citizen and can apply - as you did last year - at the Belgian Embassy in Bangkok for an Affidavit stating that your foreign monthly income exceeds the equivalent of 65.000 THB monthly. 

And such affidavit will be in large majority of cases accepted by your local IO as proof of you meeting the financial requirements.  But your IO will NOT ask for proof of monthly foreign income transfers when using that Embassy-issued Affidavit-method.

There is the rare possibility that your local IO might also ask you to show some evidence of funds/transactions on your Thai bank-account as proof of your living expenses, but there is no need to prove the foreign origins of those transactions.

Thanks Peter.

I am aware of all the above but just in case, they move the goalposts again.

You never know. Maybe next year, "Belgian affidavits" won't be accepted or will be accepted with proof of having brought the money into Thailand.

I am just preparing myself for what might happen.

Going every month to a branch of the TW partner-bank is not what I am likely to do.

Thanks anyway.

23 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

In your case it doesn't matter what you select as the reason for transfer with TW, because they only use 3 banking partners, those being TMB, Kasikorn and Bangkok banks.

As you bank with UOB, any transfer will go through one of the above 3 banking partners and therefore be coded as a local transfer. i.e. It came from a different Thai bank to your UOB account.

You need to approach Bangkok bank and request an 'International Funds Transfer' receipt as proof of an International transfer. Alternatively, many Immigration offices accept the TW transfer receipt as that details the currency used and exchange rate, as well as the Thai bank it went through to reach your UOB account.

You will only get the FTT code (Foreign telex transaction) in your Passbook, if you have an account with Bangkok bank and the transfer goes through TW's Bangkok bank partner account.

By selecting 'long term stay' as the reason for transfer, TW make every effort to pay the transfer through the same partner bank as your account is with, which is only possible if you have an account with BKK. TMB, or Kasikorn.

On 11/23/2020 at 6:03 PM, problemfarang said:

thanks for the info but i must say its nothing with the bank back at home. Normal transfer is done via internet. So the money leaves my home bank in 1-2 hrs time. 

about the rates you posted. Let me tell you this someone transferred me $300 it makes something around 8XXX baht. I got 7600 or something like that. Plus i really have other bad experiences with Bangkok Bank. 

So i really dont want to use and dont suggest. 

you mentioned about time. Every time when money transfers me from my home country, it takes 3 days. No more, no less.. every time. same banks! but when i tried with BBL .. 1 week minimum. So its surely nothing with the bank at home. Its all about middle bank. BBL's middle bank is their own branch in London.

I get three pensions every month. They are directly sent to TW in the UK who send me a message each time they recieve it, around 2pm.

I go to TW online and transfer the money to my BKK bank acount in Thailand where it arrives 24 hours later if it is not a weekend or a Bank holiday, otherwise it will be on Monday or the next bank working day.

There is a fee from TW in the UK but no fee incoming or transfer from BKK bank.

Archived