When I die...

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

i am a US citizen and been with my partner over 20 years but not legally married.  I recall getting information somewhere that she will need some document from the US embassy to release my body to her (for cremation).  Is that a Thai requirement?  Something that can be ignored?  If not, is this document something that I can get ahead of time so that neither she nor my family in the states needs to be bothered with the bureaucracy. 

Didn't know where to post this and TV search not much help as usual.

20 years together.

why not just get married, she can then do it all .

also make a will, if you have not already done it.

After all she can only run off with what you give her.-

Edited by quake
Just now, Halfaboy said:

You are right, but there must be a way to document what you want in case of....

i think the family of the deceased need to be contacted , before the paper will be issued by embassy to take to the morgue to release the body.

Edited by quake
  • Thanks 1
Just now, bankruatsteve said:

I do have a Thai will.  Get married?  Why fix what is working just fine the way it is?

don't then.

do the bureaucracy thing instead

sorry , she can do  the bureaucracy thing :jap:

Edited by quake
  • Like 1

op you could contact your embassy and maybe you can go there and do some legal document to be used when your gone. but maybe not ?

but she will be stuffed if its wrong and your gone.

back to the bureaucracy thing again

Edited by quake
39 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

I know of at least 5 former mates (from the UK) who died without legal marriage and they were ashes within 3 days.  So, whatever it is that Thai requires must be easy to get.  I am looking for what is the form or document that the Thai gov. requires so I know what to ask for.

why don't you ask there wives what they did then ?

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Funny this topic has just appeared on TV, a few days ago i contacted the British embassy consular section with a query regarding when i die, You know they post on here but guess what... THEY never bothered to reply.

They provided, on TVF, all the information that you should need last August. See:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/913372/Information_Relating_to_Deaths_in_Thailand_-_August_2020.pdf

• Like 1

I am a US citizen.  The first thing done when a foreigner dies is to inform the respective embassy.  i haven't received a straight answer from the US embassy as to what is needed to release the body to my "wife" and would like to preempt whatever that might be.  

BTW;  US rules do not provide my Thai wife (even if legally married) to receive SS survivor benefits unless she has lived in the states for 5 years.

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 2

People always assume that they will die of natural causes.

People forget the morgue bill can rack up, if for months on ice.

hope people have left funds to cover that .that is funds in her account

People forget that even if they have a will and property is involved, probate can rack the bill up.

hope they have left funds to cover that.( personalty i have left 200k to be sure )

but that's just me.

I also believe a telephone call to us embassy in this day and age, could be of benefit to interested parties

just a bit more unhelpful information. or stupid answers, if you wish.

Edited by quake
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I am a US citizen.  The first thing done when a foreigner dies is to inform the respective embassy.  i haven't received a straight answer from the US embassy as to what is needed to release the body to my "wife" and would like to preempt whatever that might be.  

BTW;  US rules do not provide my Thai wife (even if legally married) to receive SS survivor benefits unless she has lived in the states for 5 years.

They won't won't release the body to your 'wife' because she isn't your wife.  Your next of kin have a say.  Ask your embassy, telling them what you've told us about your circumstances.  I suspect it's the temple that requires the form before they will cremate a foreigner.  And they will charge more because you're bigger than a Thai!

• Like 1

Op, ok i know you don't like what i said.

but after a bottle of red and a good chunk of cheddar cheese . 

i think what you want to do is a big no way.

this is why, 

The USA embassy would not want to get into legal issues over you in any way.

say you could leave a form, saying your GF  ( lady x) can take your body to the Wat and burn it.

but your situation changed and your with lady Y now. but you did not up date the info at the embassy 

oh dear, big problems. lady X wont play ball with lady Y. oh no.

get the picture ?

i could be wrong.

but think not. 

Reckon your uk mates left contact details of next of kin with embassy to get body released. a few quick emails all done.

Edited by quake