When I die...

4 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I am a US citizen.  The first thing done when a foreigner dies is to inform the respective embassy.  i haven't received a straight answer from the US embassy as to what is needed to release the body to my "wife" and would like to preempt whatever that might be.  

BTW;  US rules do not provide my Thai wife (even if legally married) to receive SS survivor benefits unless she has lived in the states for 5 years.

IIRC when a farang dies in Thailand the body goes to hospital as do the police to make sure that he died of natural causes, after which the body is then released to the family.

In th case of the UK they should be informed by the police and the passport returned to the embassy, with, I think a copy of the death certificate.

As for pensions etc strictly speaking they should also be informed asap before they pay too much out, and also to change or cancel the pension rates.

It would be helpful if, when you find out the details, you can have a trusted US friend to work together with your lady and smooth the passage as it were.

Write up on your computer a list of contact names and numbers to be used after your death.

On a heavier note, it may pay you to order a farang sized coffin at ome time as the Thai sized ones may be too small and not strong enough.

I hope that this is of some help to you as forward planning for this event is a good idea.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could take care of it in in a last will testament according to this on that webpage.

image.png.4071d8fdc33f7741d02271aeb3c10d86.png

would that be excepted straight  away at any hospital in Thailand. ?

or would the OP be back to the bureaucracy he so wants to avoid ?

Edited by quake
7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

On a heavier note, it may pay you to order a farang sized coffin at ome time as the Thai sized ones may be too small and not strong enough.

Hey buddy.  Are you talking about me or you?  ????  Anyway... I'm not sure the burner cares if you fit.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, quake said:

would that be excepted straight  away at any hospital in Thailand. ?

or would the OP be back to the bureaucracy he so wants to avoid ?

It would depend upon he hospital but I would say a legal will written in Thai would be the only thing needed.

If not it would not be that hard to get the release from the embassy.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It would depend upon he hospital but I would say a legal will written in Thai would be the only thing needed.

If not it would not be that hard to get the release from the embassy.

very true,

but this is the point of the OP .

he don't want her to do all that.

so its still maybe a problem  for her.

Edited by quake
  • Like 1

OK guys.  I may have thrown up a straw horse in my OP,  but I have researched this.  I do know that a legal marriage would simplify.  A Thai will for this is not an option.  I don't know why the US seems to have red tape wrapped around this, but I was looking for anybody that knows how to preempt or simplify.  I don't need opinions.  Thank you.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I know of at least 5 former mates (from the UK) who died without legal marriage and they were ashes within 3 days.  So, whatever it is that Thai requires must be easy to get.  I am looking for what is the form or document that the Thai gov. requires so I know what to ask for.

Worst case, this is nothing a can of gasoline and a few matches can't fix...

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, quake said:

i think the family of the deceased need to be contacted , before the paper will be issued by embassy to take to the morgue to release the body.

Yes.. that is the problem for the wife.. A few years ago a guy I knew was killed.. It took 10 days or 2 weeks for the body to be released.  Traumatic for the poor woman.. Best to get it sorted to make things easier for her. 

• Thanks 2
17 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Hey buddy.  Are you talking about me or you?  ????  Anyway... I'm not sure the burner cares if you fit.

It was sort of a general idea for most of us farangs.

When my Thai MIL died several years ago she was put into her coffin and somebody put some flowers in her hands. Whwen came the time to close the lid they had a small problem because her hands were raised a little above the top of the coffin.

• Like 1
On 11/19/2020 at 4:52 PM, Halfaboy said:

You are right, but there must be a way to document what you want in case of....

A will, made in Thailand covering Thai matters/assets/whatever you wish to bequeath and to who,  and another made in relation to any assets etc., in your home country.

No need to be complicated, just state what you want to happen on your departure .

Don't go to high profile lawyers, if fact don't be fooled by a lawyer or anybody who says wills must be prepared by a lawyer, not true.

Don't know your circumstances and not my business but maybe a will might be comforting for the person(s) you're close to in either/both countries.

Good luck.

• Like 1
On 11/19/2020 at 11:02 AM, bankruatsteve said:

i am a US citizen and been with my partner over 20 years but not legally married.  I recall getting information somewhere that she will need some document from the US embassy to release my body to her (for cremation).  Is that a Thai requirement?  Something that can be ignored?  If not, is this document something that I can get ahead of time so that neither she nor my family in the states needs to be bothered with the bureaucracy. 

Didn't know where to post this and TV search not much help as usual.

Marry her save any issues, poor lady she deserves it after 20 years.

• Like 2

It's simple. Have a will made out in both English and Thai. Name an executor or executrix. Be specific in what you want carried out and who you appoint to do whatever it is you want. Name beneficiaries and be specific as to what you bequeath to them, Have it properly witnesses. Create an account in STEP and register yourself. You can specify that in the event of your death in Thailand that you have a final will and request the Embassy secure a copy/original and the name/mobile from whom they can get an original. You can register here: https://step.state.gov/step/

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

A will, made in Thailand covering Thai matters/assets/whatever you wish to bequeath and to who,  and another made in relation to any assets etc., in your home country.

Totally agree and have done that myself.  Release of my body, I am informed, cannot be determined by the will - only the executor of my US will.

• Like 1
On 11/19/2020 at 1:31 AM, Lacessit said:

When I die, it will be somebody else's problem. There is a Thai will and Australian will which say the same things.

I'd like my ashes scattered on a golf course, in homage to a game I have loved all my life. With the Thai thing about ghosts, they may have to go back to Australia.

Just get a legal statement drawn up that you promise not to haunt them when you pass away. ????

Edited by Catoni
Addition
  • Like 1

Stupid just not to marry her & while at it put the condo in her name as well ,

I know you will not be here but will make it a lot easier for her & what is a greedy relative comes sniffing around.

Please do not say it cannot happen, I can tell you some horrific situations just like yours.

Been here 31 years & the bees come to the honey from nowhere

• Like 1
On 11/19/2020 at 1:17 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

So you have children or other relatives in the USA? Normally they will be asked about what they want after you die. It's their decision - unless you legally change that.

The state side relatives will ONLY be brought into it IF his Thai will does not clearly set out the funeral arrangements he wants if he wants to be buried/cremated here in Thailand.  In a previous post on this topic I attached a template of a Thai will which clearly showed ALL the requirements needed.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Totally agree and have done that myself.  Release of my body, I am informed, cannot be determined by the will - only the executor of my US will.

I don't believe that's true. If you die in Thailand, clearly set out all your requirements, executors name etc, then the Thai will takes precedence over your US will when it comes to the release of your body. Just recently ( about 2 weeks ago ) I attended the funeral of a farang who had both an Australian & Thai will. As his Thai will stipulated who the executor was and clearly outlined the funeral arrangements he wanted, his body was released without any trouble once the death certificates had all been issued.

• Like 2
On 11/19/2020 at 4:47 PM, Lacessit said:

She will also have physical possession of my bank books, I forget who it was said possession is nine-tenths of the law.

My instructions are to be cremated, I won't be hanging around in a morgue.

Possession of the bank book is "handy"  but ultimately it will be the Thai court that determines the  disposition of the funds in a bank account.

On 11/19/2020 at 4:02 PM, quake said:

People forget the morgue bill can rack up, if for months on ice.

The cost at a government hospital is 300 baht a day for refrigeration and generally  the body will be kept for only 60 days  if unclaimed.

Edited by Andy from Kent
On 11/19/2020 at 4:02 PM, quake said:

I also believe a telephone call to us embassy in this day and age, could be of benefit to interested parties

just a bit more unhelpful information. or stupid answers, if you wish.

At the risk of assuming you are a US citizen which  to my knowledge you've not indicated,  when is the last time you  called the US Embassy?

Telephone calls to the Embassy are  only accepted for Emergencies and to report a death.     For  years  the Embassy  has not accepted  common questions from citizens by phone calls.   In the past,  yes they did,  but that ended long ago.

The Bangkok  Embassy is very  robust in replying to email questions which is the required format.

Edited by Andy from Kent
  • Like 2
On 11/19/2020 at 7:38 PM, ubonjoe said:

You could take care of it in in a last will testament according to this on that webpage.

image.png.4071d8fdc33f7741d02271aeb3c10d86.png

Thank you for posting this ubonjoe,     It sounds like it could be very useful for  members of TVF.    

I don't know about others but for me I was unable to reach a download  for your link...

I tried both the hyperlink in the box and the one at the bottom of the paragraph.   All I got with either one was the paragraph you see here.     I also tried a google search which does not show your  link.

Would you please  repost the link or anyone who was able to download it please do the same.

1881112023_nextofKin.png.17ea4905a7549abd1750561f5d47dee4.png

Edited by Andy from Kent