Surat Thani dog owner refuses to pay full hospital bills after 2 bitten

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

One was tied while the other roamed around freely in the compound.

‘compound’ implies the area was fenced off... Photos also show one property which is fenced off. 

The property might not have been fenced off - but the implication that the boy 'went to collect’ the ball ‘bounced’ (not rolled) in. 

As usual - imprecise reporting leads to more questions than the report itself answers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

The universe where the property was locked. He climbed in does a mailman climb in. Usually people leave post boxes outside if they have an animal like that. They keep their dog fenced in and it guards that area. If my dog were to bit someone who got into m fenced off area (you have to climb to get in) then i would not feel responsible at all. 

I read the Webfact post.

After reading your post I clicked on the link and read the same story from the original source.

Where does it say he climbed in?

Where does it say the property was locked?

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JimmyJ said:
7 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Not sure about the second case, but here the boy entered someone else's property without permission and was bitten. 

That's the kid's fault, not the dog or the dog owner.

So if it bit the mailman, visitors, etc., likewise it would be their own fault.

What Universe do you hail from?

From the real universe.

You don't just bimble into another person's property. Mailman or not. Visitors too. Kids as well. Dogs are territorial. If some person came into the wife's property without permission and not known to the dog, that person is an intruder. Could be a theif, murderer. Security is one of the reasons we got a dog.

• Like 2

Also, 9pm???? What were the kids doing playing at 9pm?

And for those foreigners who live here now, were you not taught to ask for your ball back when it went I to someone else's property? The laisee faire attitude of Thais with regards to property starts at home and prevents me from letting anyone 'borrow' anything. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Police have been unable to contact him, surely should have read, police just cannot be bothered to contact him, as there would be nothing in it for them.

You obviously missed the huge photo at the top of the article showing the police at the scene 

Also the part where it says

"Reporters tried to contact the dog owner, but his house was locked and his phone turned off."

????

• Confused 2

As written by others, and not agreed with by some,  the dog was doing what is instinctive. The kid went into the yard and that's the dog's territory. Sounds to me like this kid hasn't had the best upbringing if (at 9 years old) he's out playing ball at 9pm, and walking into people's houses without knocking. I am not blaming the kid, but his parents. Plus, if he's a local he should have known there was a dog. And is he's not local, he shouldn't be going into strangers' houses.

Also, the bill sounds quite high. Maybe the kid's wonderful parents want to get some cash as compensation, or something? Maybe they took him to a private hospital to save them time because they're so busy being great parents.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, snowgard said:

No, it's about anti rabies vaccine. Almost everyone who was bitten get it now. Otherwise you must sign a form in hospital that you don't want it at your own risk. Also another costs will come for the next 10-14 days for daily cleaning of the wounds.

In government clinics the rabies jabs are for free, for kids, and the follow up shots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To it's clear. 

Dog in yard behind wall with secure gate. Kid (anyone) enters property without permission from owner and gets bit, too bad. 

Now, the second instance doesn't mention where the dog was. We need more info on that.

No one comes in my yard that does not know the dog. If he knows you, you are fine. But the guys who deliver the electricity bill etc, just stick it in the gate. 

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 11:53 AM, webfact said:

The boy’s father said the treatment cost precisely Bt5,822.51. When he showed the dog owner the bill, the person stated that he would pay only Bt500.

Must have been a private hospital. I took my daughter to a govt hospital recently with a dog bite and it was free. 

Maybe I should have gone to the most expensive one and given the bill to the guy who sold me the dog. 

Total nonsense and surprised it made a national newspaper. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 2:35 PM, worgeordie said:

What if it was your kid (if you have any),would you

still think it was not serious ?

regards worgeordie

My kids have been taken to hospital for fog bites from our own dogs. 

If they went onto the property of another and got bitten, I wouldn't blame the other person. 

What I meant is that no crime has been committed here, hence the police are right not to bother themselves, Esp as the injuries are not serious and they went to a private hospital.