convert drainage ditch to culvert?

gamb00ler

We are preparing our lot in Hang Dong for constructing our new build.  The front of our lot borders a concrete lined drainage ditch.  I believe the ditch is not on our property.  The top of the concrete is about .8 meter below road level, slightly below our land level.  The ditch is about .6 meter deep.  We will be raising the land level by 1 meter.

I see other areas of the Moo Baan seem to have converted the ditch to a culvert and covered it over.  I assume that is what has been done.

If we convert to a culvert should we dig up and replace the existing concrete lining with concrete culvert or just use an appropriate sized culvert that rests inside the existing drainage channel?  I'm sure the later would be much cheaper but I don't want to create any problems for the future.

9 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I believe the ditch is not on our property.

In which case it's not yours to mess with.

Whilst others may have roofed over the ditch you can guarantee that if a foreigner does it someone will complain.

Ensure your fill doesn't interfere with the ditch either by sloping or using a retaining wall.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

In which case it's not yours to mess with.

Whilst others may have roofed over the ditch you can guarantee that if a foreigner does it someone will complain.

Ensure your fill doesn't interfere with the ditch either by sloping or using a retaining wall.

We will need to convert at least a short segment to culvert for our driveway as our only access is from the front.

I think I'll take your advice and leave it as is except for the driveway.

Our neighbor across the street has a solution I like.  He built a long concrete planter next to the ditch.  The outside wall of the planter sits on top of the inside wall of the concrete ditch.  He then has a 2 meter concrete block/render wall behind the planter.