Post-Brexit UK announces largest military investment since Cold War

snoop1130

Post-Brexit UK announces largest military investment since Cold War

By Andrew MacAskill

2020-11-19T081349Z_1_LYNXMPEGAI0GR_RTROPTP_4_GLOBAL-POY-2020.JPG

A man waves a British flag on Brexit day in London, Britain, January 31, 2020. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain pledged to end the "era of retreat" by announcing the biggest military investment since the end of the Cold War, despite the coronavirus crisis pummelling the economy, as it seeks to define its post-Brexit role on the world stage.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson wants to carve out a leading role for Britain in a new era of global cooperation and free trade, backed by modern military and cyber capabilities.

Johnson said the increased spending reflected the need to upgrade military capabilities, including pioneering new technology with plans for a new space command and artificial intelligence agency.

In a speech to parliament on Thursday outlining the first conclusions from the biggest review of foreign policy and defence in three decades, Johnson will announce an extra 16.5 billion pounds ($22 billion) for the military over the next four years. The defence budget is currently just under 42 billion pounds a year.

"I have taken this decision in the teeth of the pandemic because the defence of the realm must come first," Johnson said in a statement.

"The international situation is more perilous and more intensely competitive than at any time since the Cold War and Britain must be true to our history and stand alongside our allies. To achieve this, we need to upgrade our capabilities across the board."

At a time of heightened global uncertainty, the continued rise of China and after four years of U.S. President Donald Trump’s international diplomacy, Britain’s 2016 vote to leave the European Union has thrown its own role and global influence into doubt.

The new financial deal comes just a week after Johnson promised U.S. President-elect Joe Biden that Britain was determined to remain a valuable military ally.

The government said the increased military spending will cement the United Kingdom's position as the largest defence spender in Europe, the second largest in NATO, and allow increased investment in areas such as cyber and space.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said Britain was not growing its military budget at the expense of international aid, amid media reports that billions of pounds could be cut from the foreign aid budget.

"It doesn't mean to say we are abandoning the battlefield of international aid, we're still one of the most generous givers of international aid," Wallace told Sky News.

The full conclusions of the defence and security review - a study of threats and capabilities - will be announced next year.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-11-19

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The sting is in the tail - The full conclusions of the defence and security review - a study of threats and capabilities - will be announced next year."

During my time we underwent three of those. They were known as "OP (operation) BOHICA"- bend over, here it comes again!

Rest assured, fewer battalions, less kit, more of the remaining kit placed in care and preservation, same or more tasks, redundancies in which old knackers (like me!) soldier on while young thrusters "going places" are made redundant (cheaper to pay them off).

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

the EU and Scotland should get ready, invasion is on the way  555 (sarcasm intended)

Joking apart, and at the risk of jildi-ing up the Scottish nationalists (what am I saying) I very much doubt whether any of the investment will go north of the River Tweed. Two reasons: one, much of the investment will be swallowed up in redeploying and re basing the submarine fleet, "just in case" as it were; and second, for the last twenty five years, for a variety of reasons, the Scottish Regiments have had a difficult time recruiting soldiers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I have taken this decision in the teeth of the pandemic because the defence of the realm must come first

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The government said the increased military spending will cement the United Kingdom's position as the largest defence spender in Europe, the second largest in NATO,

Still the odd screaming apes who just fell off their trees .

The world is changing , but people are not .

Act together in difficult times to prevent further deteriorations .

The times to make war should be over by now .

Primitivos .

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Are they expecting an invasion? 

more like prepping to build up the empire again

my first impression is, hmm, somewhat weird

UK in the process of cutting the last links to EU and build a portfolio of useful TAs

repairs to NHS

chasing virii at large to save heaps of lives

shaping all sorts of transport out/in of UK, people, wares, transport, maritim -  make it run smooth

and with a strained economy;

we buy guns and silly hats for a zillion or two

not impressed by that way to improve/streamline the future

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Joking apart, and at the risk of jildi-ing up the Scottish nationalists (what am I saying) I very much doubt whether any of the investment will go north of the River Tweed. Two reasons: one, much of the investment will be swallowed up in redeploying and re basing the submarine fleet, "just in case" as it were; and second, for the last twenty five years, for a variety of reasons, the Scottish Regiments have had a difficult time recruiting soldiers.

The's nae poonds f' skirts ye ken

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Salerno said:

Why on earth would you say that? Quite a ridiculous statement. Just because the Brits are leaving the EU in no way suggests they aren't going to be "friends" with the rest of Europe, nor would they shirk their responsibility to help protect the peace across the continent or help defend it from any external threats that may arise.

AFAIK the UK has refused to sign a defense agreement with the EU... And when the UK was a member, it blocked European defense initiatives for years and years. 

Now, I looked it up and the UK is still a major defense player even though it largely pulled out of the EU peacekeeping missions and left the European defense industry framework, the most remarquable move being leaving the Gallileo European Satellites program (and go for a Cummings - inspired moonshot) . The Galileo Security Monitoring Centre had to leave England for Madrid. 

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/future-relationship-defence-security-cooperation

Do you think that all this bodes well? I do not. 

Edited by Hi from France

2 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Do you think that all this bodes well? I do not. 

Bodes well for what; an impending invasion of mainland Europe?

The mature adult thing to do would be to admit you where being a bit melodramatic, not double down Trump style.

14 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Considering most will be allocated to the Navy and creating shipbuilding jobs in the hard hit North, plus a large chunk going to fight cyberwar which the UK has not kept up with the game, t's a good investment. Well done Boris

maybe his payback

for all the blue collar votes he received from the N