Phuket’s saleng taxis ready for tourists

snoop1130

Phuket’s saleng taxis ready for tourists

c8b2027a2a3bcc34680e6ac4ace8c439_small.jpg

PHUKET (NNT) - Villagers in Phuket are now ready to drive tourists around in their modified motorcycles as part of a community-based tourism package, including a stop at Mai Khao Beach where tourists can closely observe aircraft landing.

These sidecar and roofed motorcycles known as saleng are owned by villagers at Ban Mai Khao community in Phuket, who are now ready to offer Thai and international tourists a fun form of travel when they wish to visit the famous Mai Khao Beach.

The beach is located just off Phuket International Airport’s runway, and provides a perfect spot for planespotters to snap photos of aircraft on their approach to landing at the airport.

Ban Mai Khao community‘s Vice President of Tourism Manit Saithong said today the community anticipates visitors will soon be back as the COVID-19 situation has greatly deescalated.

These saleng taxis will transport visitors to and from Mai Khao Beach, as well as other community-based tourism attractions, such as the last rice farm on Phuket, a buffalo farm, or a cicadidae catching activity. Visitors can book these activities at the Saleng Taxi stand in Phuket.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-11-19

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Psimbo said:

There are increasing numbers of domestic tourists in Phuket, especially at the weekends but far easier to knock things I guess for some.

i don’t think it’s ‘knocking things’ rather it’s recognizing that Thailand is in dire need of international tourists, a ‘domestic weekend clientele’ is maybe just enough to keep the wolf from the door for some of the hotels, restaurants, taxi’s and salaengs.

The current situation is devastating in all areas usually reliant on international tourists. 

• Like 2

A couple of things.

Domestic flights are operating all over Thailand including to Phuket. Those who are wondering why planes are in the air should try to understand simple concepts, such as domestic travel and tourism.

On topic, these saleng taxis have been operating for at least a month as evidenced by this youtube video posted by an expat domestic tourist on 9th of October.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Mai Khao Beach, as well as other community-based tourism attractions, such as the last rice farm on Phuket, a buffalo farm, or a cicadidae catching activity.

Sounds very exciting ???? I can see hordes of tourists coming just for these activities.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Ban Mai Khao community‘s Vice President of Tourism Manit Saithong said today the community anticipates visitors will soon be back as the COVID-19 situation has greatly deescalated.

Tell that to the people in Europe, and America..........I assume he is referring to Domestic visitors.

16 hours ago, Psimbo said:

There are increasing numbers of domestic tourists in Phuket, especially at the weekends but far easier to knock things I guess for some.

They could come for surfing lessons....Oh wait ????

Seriously though a fair number of tourists come to Surin these last couple of weeks.

Edited by Soupdragon

22 hours ago, Psimbo said:

I did saw a dozen or so, sitting by the sea,  having some food they brought up with them, that's great help for the local economy

About a million food stalls have descended on Rawai beach front this weekend I drove bye there at 5pm yesterday and it wasn't busy but there was no parking spaces all along the front so any customers would have no where to park, it made me think that any of the restaurants wouldn't get any business because of not being able to park, to me that was bad planning all them food stall owners should have been made to park elsewhere