BREAKING NEWS - Increase In Elite Visa Fee

Starting January 1, 2021, the Elite Visa Easy Access plan application fee will be increased from 500,000 to 600,000 baht for a 5-year visa with the following requirements:

1. For all applications submitted before December 31, 2020 and remitting the membership fee in full within 30 days of receiving the approval letter, applicants will be eligible for the current membership fee of 500,000 THB.
  2. For all applications submitted after January 1, 2020, applicants will be required to pay the new price of 600,000 THB.

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

Starting January 1, 2021, the Elite Visa Easy Access plan application fee will be increased from 500,000 to 600,000 baht for a 5-year visa

Makes perfectly sense to me, because it with the continues increase in value of Thai baht against foreign currencies, the visa becomes cheaper for foreigners every day.......................Oh wait.............maybe I got my calculations in a twist

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Excellent option especially if your under 50 and not married to a Thai. 

Money is a relative thing. 

maybe, but in the circumstances you state, no Thai family, under 50 but with funds to spare, why in hell would you want to be here?

edit. just to add, if I had no connection here, i have family etc, this is not a place where i would retire, or pay through the nose for a limited time visa. . Don't get me wrong, I am happy here and it is a good place to live, but there are many better alternatives around the World. 

16 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

. Don't get me wrong, I am happy here and it is a good place to live, but there are many better alternatives around the World. 

"Better" is subjective. I lived all my life in AU and that's a very nice place as I'm sure many countries are. I can afford to live anywhere and 100% my choice is Thailand.

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

"Better" is subjective. I lived all my life in AU and that's a very nice place as I'm sure many countries are. I can afford to live anywhere and 100% my choice is Thailand.

fair enough, horses for courses   

28 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

maybe, but in the circumstances you state, no Thai family, under 50 but with funds to spare, why in hell would you want to be here?

Why not? I like it here. Just out of curiosity, what other country do you have in mind?

Just now, Caldera said:

Why not? I like it here. Just out of curiosity, what other country do you have in mind?

like I said.so do I, its not half bad at all.  Hypothetically, given if I was single, no family ties, it would be somewhere in the Caribbean, or  I would have stayed in Taiwan, where i was working.    

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

sorry, but I just don't get the Elite visa.  Money down the drain in my view. 

Depends how cashed up you are. For people who have the coin and don't mind paying, an Elite visa is a lot less hassle than navigating the Kafkaesque O visa regime. 

16 hours ago, DavisH said:

Well, that will encourage more punters to live in Thailand during a world-wide pandemic ???? This is Thai economics 101 - if demand is low, increase the prices!

First time I saw this in my original tourist days, I was amazed.I'd been in high season first then returned in low season and all the bars resturants etc.were empty so up went the prices! Amazing Thailand!????

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Depends how cashed up you are. For people who have the coin and don't mind paying, an Elite visa is a lot less hassle than navigating the Kafkaesque O visa regime. 

I use an agent each year to do the leg work for me, 15,000 Baht per year. Do 90 day online.  I haven't been near Immigration for a long time apart from once this year to get my CoR to renew my DL. . Its hardly a hassle. 

They could have waited until there was a world wise pandemic or some other disaster before putting the prices up.

But I must agree, if you are under 50 & have done well for yourself the Elite package does offer 

a great trouble free option, otherwise long term under 50 a real hassle if no Thai bride

16 minutes ago, natway09 said:

They could have waited until there was a world wise pandemic or some other disaster before putting the prices up.

But I must agree, if you are under 50 & have done well for yourself the Elite package does offer 

a great trouble free option, otherwise long term under 50 a real hassle if no Thai bride

nothing here is 'trouble free'. 

AS some have said, it's all relative.

For a Thai person staying 5 years in Australia (on a study visa), the average cost would be about 25,000 dollars (500,000 Baht) for the 5 years.

Of course, there are no (effective) restrictions on working and most Thais would be able to pay their own way. But they need to raise an initial 150,000 Baht, upfront, to get their initial study visa, insurance, airline ticket etc.).

On 11/19/2020 at 1:29 PM, Pilotman said:

sorry, but I just don't get the Elite visa.  Money down the drain in my view. 

For some, while for others a million baht – or the increased value – is it worth the money for permission to stay long term in Thailand without retirement- or family obligations...????

14 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I use an agent each year to do the leg work for me, 15,000 Baht per year. Do 90 day online.  I haven't been near Immigration for a long time apart from once this year to get my CoR to renew my DL. . Its hardly a hassle. 

Each to his own. But even if you use an agent, you still have to prepare all the documents, photos, maps, etc. Plus you have the worry of constant and irrational rule changes. 

A 5 or 20 year Elite visa gives freedom from all that - buy it and forget it - which is something a lot of people feel is worth paying for.

Archived