Thai language question

17 hours ago, JHicks said:

I think it actually came into Thai from Khmer. A lot of words did, including everyday vocab like เดิน, เรียน, ถนน, or สะอาด. Many of them originally started with consonant clusters that Thai speakers find / found hard to pronounce, and these clusters got expanded out to become a short syllable with "a" followed by a longer syllable (as in ถนน - or ทะเลาะ).  This is one source of all the unwritten "a"s you find in Thai.

It's really amazing how Thai can have so many variations for  a simple word like 'physical fight'.

I guess it's because there are Khmer and also Indic versions of that. I guess ตีกัน should be the correct one.

Foreigners usually get confused which one to use. 

Edited by EricTh

I think that there is no correct one, if communication is the aim for you and you have sufficient experience the “correct” word for you to use appears. Always subject to modification by the people you meet.  
 I am hoping that people will see my “joke topic” and give their opinion on my parlance; นั้น as a pronoun for example. 

There are many ways to describe a fight in English: fist fight, fisticuffs, punching one another out, fighting, etc. Which is correct? 

You think Thailand is a safe place?

One poor helpless teenager got chased and beaten even when he is down by many other boys with weapons.

This goes to show how cruel some people can be.

Edited by EricTh
7 hours ago, tgeezer said:

There are many ways to describe a fight in English: fist fight, fisticuffs, punching one another out, fighting, etc. Which is correct? 

I am talking about a brutal fight such as the video above. If I see one such fight, I will report to the Thai police with the right word over the phone.

If you say the wrong word, the police might get the wrong meaning that it's just a verbal argument.

Edited by EricTh

That is an assault. การโจมตี  

The attention given to it shows that it is not a common thing. They looked bent on murdering the Burmese chap. As I think they wrote รอดดั่งปาฏิหาริย์ it was a miraculous escape. 
I think that I would put some panic in my voice to the police and say that they were killing him. ฆ่าให้ตาย sort of thing. 

• Like 1

The title intrigued me.
ทุบโต๊ะข่าว  Looks like Table Thumping News  . 
เอามือทุบโต๊ะ  is in the definition of ทุบ 

Also ทุบตี which is to ทำร้ายร่างกาย 
It looks like a good word for what the picture shows.