plastic bag ban

mr mr

I use a back back in which I always carry 2 plastic bags.   People in my local market or shops know me so don't offer bags.

There is a K-mart near where I live, mostly for multiple purchases, they offer you a box ( don't know if this gets recycled or burnt after use ), you can buy a bag or a larger bag ( these of course are made from plastic ).

To help stop plastic bags littering the local fields etc. it would help if more rubbish bins were provided by the local govt, the rubbish collectors do a good job of emptying what bins there are but they have already often overflowed.      If the bins could be dog proof too that would help.   What really p.... o.. is the burning of plastic bags with other "domestic" rubbish.   

The local govt, could also provide a recycling area in the village, however this does often not work e.g. in my local keep fit park there are bins but people are too lazy, even when the bin is a few metres away and the ones that are used are insufficient or not emptied.   

As local govt election time maybe just maybe one of the people could promote "cleaning up" as part of their manifest.     

• Like 1

I pick up litter most days on my bike ride in Hua Hin. There are certainly no 7/11 or Tesco plastic bags littering the bike lane, but there is plenty of other trash. Cans of "Birdy" coffee seem to be to the favourite thing to throw away. See below for my 15 minutes of fame.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/937376579732636/permalink/2112614975542118/

The biggest culprit for plastic bags now is the street food stalls that give you your food in a polystyrene box and then puts it in a plastic bag or you will get several different foods and rice all in different plastic bags and then all of them in another plastic bag.

On 11/20/2020 at 1:59 AM, Kwasaki said:

I keep forgetting my 2 baht bag from 7-11 I've got 9 so far, ????

On 11/20/2020 at 2:02 AM, transam said:

Me too, the back of the car is full of them, but I always forget to take one into the shop..........????

No probs - when it gets that you can't see out of the rear view mirror drive to the sea (or any convenient body of water) and feed the fish

????

5 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Plastic bags are quite useful to pick up your dog's <deleted>.

It would be better if our dogs would learn to use the toilet bowl :cheesy:

I let my dog pooh at the edge of the local fields as it is biodegradable, plastic bags are not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2020 at 5:24 PM, mr mr said:

so it has been quite a while now since the ban came into effect. anyone really even notice that much anymore ?

Yes, I buy more plastic bags for garbage now, as I don't get free plastic bags anymore for reuse in garbage bins...????

8 hours ago, Emdog said:

Seems cleaner, fewer bags. What they really need to do is ban Styrofoam food containers...

Make the food containers and disposable cutlery from bamboo, fully sustainable and great compost

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Thanks 1

What I notice the most is that the vast majority of Thais don't have any bag at all, at least where I live in Isaan and have to unload a trolley of lose items into their vehicle.

They are not allowed to use a basket as the BigC won't get them returned and they look at you as if you are a smart **** for having one of the bags for life which cost 20 baht when I bought mine.

yes i buy less than what i used to. basically once i have bought what  i can carry without dropping everything i leave

i also have less plastic bags to through small small rubbish away.

sometimes  the 2 baht bags are available  sometimes they are not

is plastic the only  material they can make cheap bags with?

can't they put their prices up by half a baht for every items to compensate for free bags

4 hours ago, Andycoops said:

What I notice the most is that the vast majority of Thais don't have any bag at all, at least where I live in Isaan and have to unload a trolley of lose items into their vehicle.

They are not allowed to use a basket as the BigC won't get them returned and they look at you as if you are a smart **** for having one of the bags for life which cost 20 baht when I bought mine.

Just like the supermarket where I live ( not in LOS ). I too unload from trolley to car.

18 hours ago, Tyler Visan said:

I let my dog pooh at the edge of the local fields as it is biodegradable, plastic bags are not.

A good idea if you have open land near you.

My mutts only leave our place to go to the vets, I don't know how locals would take to Mexican rats running loose

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigC said:

can't they put their prices up by half a baht for every items to compensate for free bags

There never was such a thing as "free bags". Question you should be asking is why haven't prices come down 50 satang (if a few baht really is that important).

The streets are still full of trash. The thais still throw the trash along my street. The f¥ckin tree huggers are all high fiving themselves.  And I am spending less money at the big box stores that don't give me a bag to carry my purchases out. The mom and pop thai stores that give me a bag are getting my busines. . Win win for small thai shops.