Covid Insurance to enter Thailand.

Looking for some information on the covid insurance requirement to get into Thailand. Right now, I have all my other ducks in a row, I am coming in for medical reasons, and just need to to get the covid insurance. I am a US passport holder and resident. I currently have a World Nomads travel insurance policy, with 100,000 in medical coverage, and it says it protects in case of getting covid. However, it is a secondary insurance; I have to pay the hospital bill myself and then I get reimbursed. I don't feel like this is going to work for me. 

Does anyone know if that will work, or can anyone suggest an other insurance option that will work?

If you cannot use the COVID insurance you already have, you can buy one at https://covid19.tgia.org/.

You do not need a special insurance from a Thai insurance company for the COVID insurance; however, depending on the visa you have, you may need a 40,000/400,000 baht insurance that is from an approved Thai insurance company. I do not know if the medical visa requires you to have a Thai insurance or if you can use your World Nomads insurance.

3 hours ago, farang51 said:

If you cannot use the COVID insurance you already have, you can buy one at https://covid19.tgia.org/.

You do not need a special insurance from a Thai insurance company for the COVID insurance; however, depending on the visa you have, you may need a 40,000/400,000 baht insurance that is from an approved Thai insurance company. I do not know if the medical visa requires you to have a Thai insurance or if you can use your World Nomads insurance.

My exisiting medical insurance covered Covid, i did not need to buy additional coverage.

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

You need to get a policy from one of the 'special' expensive Thai insurance companies approved by the government.

It is not mandatory to get the insurance from a TGIA provider.

The important thing is the date the coverage start after entry. Some have a 15 day period it before it starts.

13 hours ago, Alaska Zak said:

Looking for some information on the covid insurance requirement to get into Thailand. Right now, I have all my other ducks in a row, I am coming in for medical reasons, and just need to to get the covid insurance. I am a US passport holder and resident. I currently have a World Nomads travel insurance policy, with 100,000 in medical coverage, and it says it protects in case of getting covid. However, it is a secondary insurance; I have to pay the hospital bill myself and then I get reimbursed. I don't feel like this is going to work for me. 

Does anyone know if that will work, or can anyone suggest an other insurance option that will work?

Arawan is excellent, she has help many people on the Facebook help groups

FB_IMG_1605144893508.jpg

Revolut premium. Works fine for the 100k USD requirement. Seriously, why does everyone insist on throwing money away. 

6.99 GBP 7.99 EUR 9.99 USD a month. 

Age 18-75.

Available in 150 countries.

10 million GBP cover.

Annual policy 90 days per trip

Explicit covid cover including any mandated quarantine.

Explicit cover during UK lockdowns (based on FCDO travel advisories).

Sickness, accident, covid, plus travel baggage delayed flights cancellation etc. 

Works fine for COE entry. Nothing else comes close for the price and coverage.

Also offers cheap airport lounges, cheap device insurance, 6 months buyer protections, cheap fx, multi currency banking etc etc.

https://www.revolut.com/revolut-premium

This guy is very helpful too. Got me a reasonable cost policy which covers both requirements, for O-A visa and Covid.

Emilis Strazdauskas - Pacific Prime Thailand

+66 (0) 2 656 0180 Ext. 1009 M +66 (0) 65 931 3271  [email protected]

A Pacific Prime Thailand, 9th floor (9D,E), President Tower, 973 Phloen Chit Road Lumpini Pathum Wan Bangkok 10330

OIC Personal License Number : 6104037274

OIC License Number : W00026/2560

16 hours ago, Alaska Zak said:

I am a US passport holder and resident. I currently have a World Nomads travel insurance policy, with 100,000 in medical coverage, and it says it protects in case of getting covid.

Hi, I was surprised to read that your World Nomads travel-insurance policy covers covid-19 treatment in Thailand.  I normally use them too when I need travel-insurance and they are excellent.  However, their website STILL says that their travel-insurance policies do not cover covid-19 treatment.

World Nomads will probably reconsider, because their main competitor for 'on the fly' travel-insurance Safety Wings DOES include covid-19 treatment as part of their travel-insurance package.  The conditions and premiums for World Nomads and Safety Wings are approx same, but obviously when you need mandatory covid-19 insurance coverage, Safety Wings is the way to go.  For a middle-aged US citizen the cost for that travel-insurance is approx same as for the ridiculous TGIA covid-19 ONLY insurance policies. 

Also if you are entering Thailand on the new 60-day SETV or on a 90-day Non Imm O Visa, you only need the insurance for the permission to stay period the Visa will provide you on entry.  And in that case the option to subscribe to REVOLUT would be unbeatable fee-wise (30 US $ for 3 months) > see post by LivinLos just above my response.

Should you need longer period > SafetyWing lets you choose the exact period of coverage and provides up to 1 year of decent travel-insurance coverage (including covid-19 treatment as required by the CoE).

7 minutes ago, roquefort said:

This guy is very helpful too. Got me a reasonable cost policy which covers both requirements, for O-A visa and Covid.

Emilis Strazdauskas - Pacific Prime Thailand

+66 (0) 2 656 0180 Ext. 1009 M +66 (0) 65 931 3271  [email protected]

A Pacific Prime Thailand, 9th floor (9D,E), President Tower, 973 Phloen Chit Road Lumpini Pathum Wan Bangkok 10330

OIC Personal License Number : 6104037274

OIC License Number : W00026/2560

You are most probably referring to the VisaFriendly policy offered by PacificCross..

That's indeed an option when you are over 75 years of age and need coverage for both the mandatory Non Imm O-A Visa compliant insurance and the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance.

However, be aware that these PacificCross policies only cover you for covid-19 after 15 days when arriving in Thailand, and after 15 days in-country the risk of catching covid is as good as zero, so a bit like selling you an umbrella but only allowing you to open it when the sun shines.

10 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

However, be aware that these PacificCross policies only cover you for covid-19 after 15 days when arriving in Thailand

That is not correct. They do have a 15 day waiting period; however, since their insurance covers the world, you can get the insurance 15 days or more before travelling and then you are covered from day 1 in Thailand.

34 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

You are most probably referring to the VisaFriendly policy offered by PacificCross..

That's indeed an option when you are over 75 years of age and need coverage for both the mandatory Non Imm O-A Visa compliant insurance and the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance.

However, be aware that these PacificCross policies only cover you for covid-19 after 15 days when arriving in Thailand, and after 15 days in-country the risk of catching covid is as good as zero, so a bit like selling you an umbrella but only allowing you to open it when the sun shines.

No, I looked at that policy but for half the cost I got the LUMA Thailand Pass which also includes Covid cover. And it starts from arrival in Thailand.

28 minutes ago, farang51 said:

That is not correct. They do have a 15 day waiting period; however, since their insurance covers the world, you can get the insurance 15 days or more before travelling and then you are covered from day 1 in Thailand.

I know you stated this before, but attached here a correspondence from someone that contacted PacificCross about this issue, and the response was that it is 15 days from arrival that are not covered. 

There is a 15 day waiting period after arrival in Thailand, according to a reply he received to the question as to why there is 15 day exclusion clause. Here is the text he received in response to this question:

____________________________________________________________________________________________

"The purpose of this condition is that in the past we had people buying the insurance for 1 year and after they terminated their 15 days or quarantine or the 1st month o f cover they communicated that they would like to cancel the policy. The Intention of this customer was to get an insurance for only 15 or 30 days to be covered in case of covid during the ASQ and if nothing happens they will cancel the policy and ask for the refund.

In case you will get Infected by Covid19 during the 15 days of Quarantine, after that Pacific Cross will consider it as a Pre-existing condition. In case in the 15 Days you did not get any infection or any problem, but you will get infected after 1 month, in this case it will be covered by Pacific Cross.

Here in Thailand all the Insurance if they take a new Client will have some Waiting Periods.

As far as I know the TGIA Insurance covers you for the day that you put as the starting date of the policy."

18 hours ago, Alaska Zak said:

As you mention entry for medical reasons, would you be so kind to share how you arranged this medical visa? My husband wants to get back to his doc at Samitivej. Problem is the referal from the doc where we are now to say that he needs treatment in Thailand. Tks

40 minutes ago, howerde said:

Read the small print  see item 9 on the Thai luma policies 

9/ The Company reserves the right to refuse coverage to applicants who are already infected with Coronavirus and/or applicants who are in quarantine state.

That's when you apply for the policy, not when you enter Thailand with he policy already in force.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

I know you stated this before, but attached here a correspondence from someone that contacted PacificCross about this issue, and the response was that it is 15 days from arrival that are not covered. 

There is a 15 day waiting period after arrival in Thailand, according to a reply he received to the question as to why there is 15 day exclusion clause. Here is the text he received in response to this question:

____________________________________________________________________________________________

"The purpose of this condition is that in the past we had people buying the insurance for 1 year and after they terminated their 15 days or quarantine or the 1st month o f cover they communicated that they would like to cancel the policy. The Intention of this customer was to get an insurance for only 15 or 30 days to be covered in case of covid during the ASQ and if nothing happens they will cancel the policy and ask for the refund.

My post is also based on an answer I got from Pacific Cross. I asked specifically if I was covered from day 1 in Thailand if I got the insurance 15 days before travelling. It also makes sense as it is a worldwide insurance (unlike what some of the other insurance companies offer).

The reply that you quote does not make any sense. I am pretty sure that you cannot terminate the policy after it has covered you during the quarantine. If in effect, you cannot terminate the policy before the time of renewal (after 6 months or 1 year).

27 minutes ago, farang51 said:

My post is also based on an answer I got from Pacific Cross. I asked specifically if I was covered from day 1 in Thailand if I got the insurance 15 days before travelling. It also makes sense as it is a worldwide insurance (unlike what some of the other insurance companies offer).

The reply that you quote does not make any sense. I am pretty sure that you cannot terminate the policy after it has covered you during the quarantine. If in effect, you cannot terminate the policy before the time of renewal (after 6 months or 1 year).

Yes, that makes sense,  I simply took over what my contact wrote but he probably misinterpreted the response he got.

So indeed, it looks like the insurance would be valid on your 1st day in Thailand provided that you bought it with start-date 15 days earlier.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The important thing is the date the coverage start after entry. Some have a 15 day period it before it starts.

I'm so glad @ubonjoe posted that - he posted similar for me in another thread and i was going to link you to it.

To offer an answer to your OP @Alaska Zak - you say "However, it is a secondary insurance; I have to pay the hospital bill myself and then I get reimbursed"

Here is an "outside the box" suggestion:

Assuming you can afford it, get a pre-paid Visa or MasterCard, charge it up and leave the balance on it until you need to pay a medical bill.

To be sure the money is "dead money" earning no interest but you retain control of your funds at all times and can utilise your existing insurance when needed.

As I'm in UK, I cannot directly suggest a card provider - I have a "Pockit" Card   which may or may not be available in the US.

I feel the equivalent may be though.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Wasn't it mandatory few months ago ?

9 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Revolut premium. Works fine for the 100k USD requirement. Seriously, why does everyone insist on throwing money away. 

The OP is in the U.S. and although someone in the U.S. can sign up for a Revolut account, and funds in the account are FDIC insured, the account may not offer the “Overseas Insurance”.

I’m in the U.S. and when I go to the Revolut website and look at “Features”, the insurance is grayed out and says “coming soon”.

I’ve deleted cookies and reset my VPN to different locations throughout the U.S. and get the same result. If I change to a server outside the U.S. the insurance is listed in the features of the account.

(Actually I get the same “coming soon” when using a server in Australia).

I wanted to contact Revolut to find out more info about this, but unfortunately I can find no way to contact Revolut unless I first download and create an account, and I don't want to create an account if it does not offer the insurance.

AK ZAC, I also got tired of the excess fees AK med facilities charge and have been using BKK hospital for the last 7 years.  No complaints.  I have Nomad Ins as well.  I pay with my VISA and submit to Nomads for reimbursement.  Make sure you get the procedure and billing numbers correct, everything depends on that.

Some INS companies have direct billing agreements, but they are usually pricer policies.  If your in ANC, meet me Steamdot for coffee and Ill go over it more with you.

13 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

The OP is in the U.S. and although someone in the U.S. can sign up for a Revolut account, and funds in the account are FDIC insured, the account may not offer the “Overseas Insurance”.

I’m in the U.S. and when I go to the Revolut website and look at “Features”, the insurance is grayed out and says “coming soon”.

I’ve deleted cookies and reset my VPN to different locations throughout the U.S. and get the same result. If I change to a server outside the U.S. the insurance is listed in the features of the account.

(Actually I get the same “coming soon” when using a server in Australia).

I wanted to contact Revolut to find out more info about this, but unfortunately I can find no way to contact Revolut unless I first download and create an account, and I don't want to create an account if it does not offer the insurance.

Looks to be a dud, many people complaining they cannot get hold of them, app is locking them out of their acc, no insurance listed for au, it is listed for us but without being able to verify I think i would stay clear.

Question someone may know - I'm a US citizen flying from Vietnam ( a low risk country FWIW). I see on the Thai General Insurance Association a question about "country of origin". Are they referring to my flying out of Vietnam or my US citizenship?

Also, I don't see an option for simple tourist visas?

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, talfarlow said:

Thanks Joe. That's what I was thinking. I also don't see a option for a 90 day tourist visa under "status".

It for some unknown reason does not appear on the list now along with others that are allowed. They recently redid their site  and dropped off several that are allowed now.

Perhaps call or fax them at the numbers shown on the site.

Archived