Expenses in Issan?

Curious, close to the Cambodia border within reason.  Building a home on wife's land.  What are building costs like?  For say a decent 3 bedroom home with AC and hot water.  Decent living room and kitchen?   Also, is there a general consensus on the cost of living in that area?  Decent life style, nothing crazy.  Money to party or travel a little when you want to, but not really doing on regular basis....  Maybe leaving room for 1 or 2 children?   Probably 1 car/truck  and a motorbike.  Relaxed lifestyle...  I'm not sure if there is much difference in the schooling from Thai schools to private schools.  Any input on helping to figure this out would be appreciated.  I am sure I didn't give  sufficient information.  Let me know what I left out in forum or even better a PM.  Thanks!  I am sure I'm not the first to ask this question.  Sorry for repeating it, although costs do change frequently.

Khob khun krap!   Ih-lee Ih-lee na!

Edited by Chandler
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's no rule that says you must live on her land. For extended happiness, live far away from her family and she can visit them.

15,000 to 200,000 bht/mo. That should cover it.

A difficult question to answer as a lot depends on your circumstances, your ability to accept Thai culture and your idea of a decent lifestyle   House - A very nice house can be built for ar

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

House price i'd expect 1.5-2M depending on finish.

50-70K per month would be heaps ( no kids ).

Good luck.

Thank you very much

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

15,000 to 200,000 bht/mo. That should cover it.

well,  now I can narrow down my stuff 555   Just general costs like i said nothing crazy.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

There's no rule that says you must live on her land. For extended happiness, live far away from her family and she can visit them.

actually i had considered that,  something near the water or maybe Cambodia as its close and cheaper

6 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Food, utilities, gasoline, everything is almost priced the same throughout Thailand. Only thing cheaper in Issan is land price. Some good companies can build 3 bed 2 bath for 1.2 mil (build only).. Kids is upto you...pocket money, how often you treat them etc. After all your major purchases..30k can live very well with some to spare

30K Thb a month is fair there?

Just now, DILLIGAD said:

How well do you know the area that you 'propose' to live in??? Agree with Evenkeel's comments above  and I would add, Why not rent a place for a year or 3 first. then decide if the area is right for you.

There are many abandoned 'mansions/monuments' around the area that you describe (one was mine) and think it makes perfect sense to rent first.

Good luck!   

I dont know it very well.  just figured she would care to be close to parents.  thanks

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Chandler said:

30K Thb a month is fair there?

Many people say so. It all depends on what one expects from life. I have no problem spending all of my 250000 pension. While my initial setup costs were well over 10M. But I was used to 20000 USD a month in Geneva before my retirement.

I maybe worth to point out that health insurance for a family of 4 cost 20k or more, Electricity 7/8 k, etc. Wine is horrendously expensive. And that sharing a bit around you will make your life better.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

people tend to go a bit heavy on avoiding the family... and in many cases appropriately... keep your eyes open... do they drink or gamble? 

I married the family and it has been a pleasure. We built a family compound too. There is always a baby sitter available and someone to feed the dog if we go away... there is a deep sense of security in knowing there are many family members around if your car breaks down or if you have a problem... 

kids can get expensive... do you want your kid to have a computer, ipad etc.. when it will help them with school? 

yes, absolutely on the computer.