Expenses in Issan?

Chandler

Curious, close to the Cambodia border within reason.  Building a home on wife's land.  What are building costs like?  For say a decent 3 bedroom home with AC and hot water.  Decent living room and kitchen?   Also, is there a general consensus on the cost of living in that area?  Decent life style, nothing crazy.  Money to party or travel a little when you want to, but not really doing on regular basis....  Maybe leaving room for 1 or 2 children?   Probably 1 car/truck  and a motorbike.  Relaxed lifestyle...  I'm not sure if there is much difference in the schooling from Thai schools to private schools.  Any input on helping to figure this out would be appreciated.  I am sure I didn't give  sufficient information.  Let me know what I left out in forum or even better a PM.  Thanks!  I am sure I'm not the first to ask this question.  Sorry for repeating it, although costs do change frequently.

Khob khun krap!   Ih-lee Ih-lee na!

Edited by Chandler

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

There's no rule that says you must live on her land. For extended happiness, live far away from her family and she can visit them.

actually i had considered that,  something near the water or maybe Cambodia as its close and cheaper

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Food, utilities, gasoline, everything is almost priced the same throughout Thailand. Only thing cheaper in Issan is land price. Some good companies can build 3 bed 2 bath for 1.2 mil (build only).. Kids is upto you...pocket money, how often you treat them etc. After all your major purchases..30k can live very well with some to spare

30K Thb a month is fair there?

• Haha 1

Just now, DILLIGAD said:

How well do you know the area that you 'propose' to live in??? Agree with Evenkeel's comments above  and I would add, Why not rent a place for a year or 3 first. then decide if the area is right for you.

There are many abandoned 'mansions/monuments' around the area that you describe (one was mine) and think it makes perfect sense to rent first.

Good luck!   

I dont know it very well.  just figured she would care to be close to parents.  thanks

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chandler said:

Many people say so. It all depends on what one expects from life. I have no problem spending all of my 250000 pension. While my initial setup costs were well over 10M. But I was used to 20000 USD a month in Geneva before my retirement.

I maybe worth to point out that health insurance for a family of 4 cost 20k or more, Electricity 7/8 k, etc. Wine is horrendously expensive. And that sharing a bit around you will make your life better.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

people tend to go a bit heavy on avoiding the family... and in many cases appropriately... keep your eyes open... do they drink or gamble? 

I married the family and it has been a pleasure. We built a family compound too. There is always a baby sitter available and someone to feed the dog if we go away... there is a deep sense of security in knowing there are many family members around if your car breaks down or if you have a problem... 

kids can get expensive... do you want your kid to have a computer, ipad etc.. when it will help them with school? 

yes, absolutely on the computer.   

• Haha 1

Just now, Chandler said:

yes, absolutely on the computer.   

then extrapolate out to a decent phone, a better school, etc... good food - my niece was eating adult size portions from the time she was 4 years old... if you have a good income stream, it will or can be a pleasure... if your wife is into it too... but it is a stress on time and finances... if you are working or tight... 

I don't know how young working people manage... but they do. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

You feel awkward because you can buy a new motorbike or car at will in cash

There is going to be an element of truth in this... there is an old saying. your wife cannot be happy drinking from fine crystal while her mother drinks from a coconut shell... I think this will always be a factor but less so with distance... 

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I didn't bust my ass all my life to end of in a Isaan rice paddy.

Then you have answered your question - don't move to Isaan... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

There is going to be an element of truth in this... there is an old saying. your wife cannot be happy drinking from fine crystal while her mother drinks from a coconut shell... I think this will always be a factor but less so with distance... 

Then you have answered your question - don't move to Isaan... 

Oh, been there for a good 7 yrs on my off work cycle. Bought land, built a house. I thought it was bad a@@ at first until I thought it wasn't. Made the decision 4 yrs ago to relocate far away. My kid will have that as well as this house someday so walking away from old house was of no consideration . I contribute a set amount to her divorced parents monthly so no need to hear blow by blow accounts of who's having a hard time. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 6:54 AM, Chandler said:

any idea what cost of raising children are?  general costs I'm referring to.

not cheap most kids stuff here expensive or rubbish..school fees..out of school activities ..extra lessons..football clubs ect ..ive got 2 kids in school here soon eats up the monthly allowance make sure you budget for it ...

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 7:25 AM, Chandler said:

Well that depends on your lifestyle but, as an indicator, earlier this year during peak COVID here when travel was restricted and many places shut the wife and I lived comfortably on around 20,000 in rural Ubon. Even in May when I did my visa extension with associated costs I only took 25k out of the bank. And that was not just surviving on MaMa noodles and water ! 

If you live close to one of the bigger cities and cannot abstain from restaurant cooked farang food, and drinking at farang bars, then your costs will be higher than if you eat Thai or home cooked farang food, drinking with the family at home.

And then you have the annual variable costs, such as health and car insurance.....what level of cover do you need ? Travel costs are up to you ...luxury resort on an island or something more budget minded ?

Edited by MikeN
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 7:27 AM, Chandler said:

I dont know it very well.  just figured she would care to be close to parents.  thanks

Big mistake for you.

All relo's will be there 24/7

Do you enjoy stifling heat in summer

Better to go somewhere that you enjoy

• Like 1

Recommend A-quality wood doors for outside and inside.  Cheap wood doors don’t last, and not as secure.  Also, if you can afford marble (stone) flooring, looks great and much cooler on your feet—with or without A.C.

And get yourself a pre-nup, or a renewable lease on the land.

• Like 1