Expenses in Issan?

Chandler

You have asked 'Expenses in Issan?'  -  Very good information already.

I would suggest to consider the climate and especially the air pollution too.

These days the numbers in Isan are ~ ok, green, yellow, orange.

But this could/will change very fast.

image.png.67b3b2d95eec33f6d58739672d19eebb.png

https://aqicn.org/

Very interesting some historical data. As example any station up north between November 2019 and April 2020.

image.png.14d27af8ddf6ac08ca8815c878085a72.png

• Like 1

Slightly off topic. But I am having a long overdue one week holiday up North in Chiang Rai, and if I wasn't committed, as I am, to where I live now, I'd establish myself there without hesitation. Small quiet place with everything a healthy Farang retiree could dream of.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 1:04 AM, Chandler said:

well,  now I can narrow down my stuff 555   Just general costs like i said nothing crazy.

That the modest costs – depending of location and modesty – crazy stuff would be in millions a month...:whistling:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, thailandbeachisland said:

yes your wife is Esaan but clearly better than others ! How lucky you are ! maybe she also has a master degree in law, right ?

????

????

????

It’s always other people’s ferang wives that they know. Cliche after cliche. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Slightly off topic. But I am having a long overdue one week holiday up North in Chiang Rai, and if I wasn't committed, as I am, to where I live now, I'd establish myself there without hesitation. Small quiet place with everything a healthy Farang retiree could dream of.

I would agree with you about it being a great place, but you forgot to mention the pollution, which lasts months. And that’s why, even though I really like the place, I could never live there full time.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 6:54 AM, Chandler said:

any idea what cost of raising children are?  general costs I'm referring to.

Cost when kids are at a local school are minimal but University is another matter.

I pay 45000 a year in semester fees for my son and 12000 for my daughter who is at a vocational college.

Then you have room rent which is 7000 a month between them and living expenses 5000 each and incidentals like uniforms etc.

Each has their own scooter so that's another 100000/120000 depending on model.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 11:25 AM, Chandler said:

30K Thb a month is fair there?

We have 4 kids, 2 go to a Catholic school which is private, not talking one of those international private schools, the other 2 go to government high school.

House to build 2 mil, 320 square metres, 6 beds, 3 baths, good quality, local builder. New pickup 800k, I budget on 70,000 a month which includes private emergency health insurance coverage for all.

We live comfortably, not over the top, if you want a domestic holiday or international holiday add to that, but at 70,000 baht per month, the budget comes in spot on every year, give or take 10,000/20,000 baht.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2020 at 12:00 PM, Toscano said:

I would advise renting , if things turn sour you can pack your bags and leave . 

Alternatively only invest as much as your prepared to lose, generally speaking 10% of one's worth.

Been with my loving wife for 14 years, 2 kids with her, we have a great relationship and things have never been better in life, but as humans we can change at a moment, so if the s-hit ever hit the fan, at least the kids would have a place over their heads as opposed to renting, but I did not build till we moved here 5 years ago, that gave me more than enough time to know who she was, even though I knew that the first night I met her in a bar ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2020 at 1:04 AM, Chandler said:

well,  now I can narrow down my stuff 555   Just general costs like i said nothing crazy.

You know? I have a great advice for you. Why don´t you come and stay in Thailand for a year with your wife? Why not buy a motorbike? Ask price for house and car! Pay for everything on a monthly basis during that year. After that you will have all the facts, including if it is the right choice for you.

If you already done all this, why in the world are you asking about it?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/20/2020 at 10:44 PM, MikeN said:

Well that depends on your lifestyle but, as an indicator, earlier this year during peak COVID here when travel was restricted and many places shut the wife and I lived comfortably on around 20,000 in rural Ubon. Even in May when I did my visa extension with associated costs I only took 25k out of the bank. And that was not just surviving on MaMa noodles and water ! 

If you live close to one of the bigger cities and cannot abstain from restaurant cooked farang food, and drinking at farang bars, then your costs will be higher than if you eat Thai or home cooked farang food, drinking with the family at home.

And then you have the annual variable costs, such as health and car insurance.....what level of cover do you need ? Travel costs are up to you ...luxury resort on an island or something more budget minded ?

Thanks!   Im more then fine eating Thai 90% of the time and can cook farang as needed.  Good to know about expenses.  Im feeling that I should be about 75k a month roughly. for available expenses.  sounds like that should be sufficient for wife and a child or 2 maybe.

On 11/20/2020 at 11:05 PM, Isaan sailor said:

Recommend A-quality wood doors for outside and inside.  Cheap wood doors don’t last, and not as secure.  Also, if you can afford marble (stone) flooring, looks great and much cooler on your feet—with or without A.C.

And get yourself a pre-nup, or a renewable lease on the land.

good advice thanks!

On 11/21/2020 at 2:46 AM, Boomer6969 said:

Just might be hard to move the gf/wife away from family lol.  I was considering an island home however she made it clear she would rather travel to there for vacation, while living close to family

On 11/21/2020 at 9:58 PM, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

You know? I have a great advice for you. Why don´t you come and stay in Thailand for a year with your wife? Why not buy a motorbike? Ask price for house and car! Pay for everything on a monthly basis during that year. After that you will have all the facts, including if it is the right choice for you.

If you already done all this, why in the world are you asking about it?

I havent done that.  I have lived there for usually 3 or 4 months.  over the course of several years.  but thats BKK area pricing and more tourist style lifesyles, and using public transit etc.  I wouldnt be able to do that until I retire, therefore fact finding mission to establish baseline costs and median costs to weigh out the reality of Cost of living in that region. 

6 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Ok, I understand. I will go roughly over the whole thing. As I live in Isaan myself with a wife and two kids, I have a decent perspektive on all of this.

First we take the house. Depending on the area and how close to a city as well as the size of the city, building a house with the size you take as an example will included with land start at 1-1,2 million baht up to whatever you want. I would say the middle region is between 2-3 million baht.

If you want a motorbike of regular type 125 cc or 150 cc you will by that cash for between 40 000 to 80 000 baht each depending on how many you need.

A car goes for between 300 000 and up for decent second hand. For a new decent car the price depends on brand, but let´s say about 1-1,3 million baht for a Toyota Fortuner, or a starting price at 600 000 - 700 000 baht for a general faily good car.

After that we have the children. Here they usually start school at the age of 3.

Price for kindergarten in private school can start at 10 000 baht per term compared to all from free school to a couple of thousands per term for government school.

Year 1-6 in primary school will be about 15 000 term in private and around 3 000 - 5 000 per term in government school.

After that the price will wary very much out of your choice of school and can be all from 10 000 per term and up to whatever you wish to put out on education for your children.

Regarding the quality I prefer private school after testing the first 2 years in government school for my children.

if you do not live in or fairly close to one of the middle sized or bigger cities in Isaan, there will not be much of a place for entertainment. You will find places to take a beer without problem as well as restaurants and karaoke. In the middle sized and bigger cities there is normally quite a lot of entertainment. I spend about 5 000 - 15 000 baht per month on that depending on my mood.

Regular expensies as phone, TV, electric and water for a person that utilize aircon on a regular basis would be about 5 000 - 8 000 per month.

After that you will have the part of life that includes food. Depending on what you eat price will vary. I eat a maxed variety of let´s say 50/50 of Thai and International food. It usually lands on 12 000 baht per month.

On top of all this you will have insurances, your wife, clothes and hygien to pay up for. If you also engage in regular travel like you mentioned, that will also be an extra expense. We do that as well, and every time it seems to be at least 20k for the whole family during only a weekend.

I hope that will put you well place as a quarterback, with great knowledge of the ballpark you wish to play in. ????

As you certainly already are aware of there will also be visa expensies. Even if they do not take your money you will have to be able to show 800 000 in a Thai bank or 65 000 per month for retirement. If you go the marriage route the same will be 400 000 or 40 000 per month. Your true yearly expensies for that will be 1900 for extension. If you wish to travel out and in of the country during that time a multiple entry document will be needed for a yearly price of 3 800 baht.

Thank you for the detailed reply  I very mucvh appreciate it.  there has been alot of helpful people here.  

• Like 2