Expenses in Issan?

Chandler

On 11/22/2020 at 10:01 PM, rickudon said:

Before i moved to Udon, i worked out my budget and decided i coulld live on 30,000 baht a month with my wife.. Never happened.  Minimum spend is 35,000 baht, and then all the unplanned extras ..... some months spend 50,000 baht.

Monthly outgoings .....

Mortgage -      3,000 baht

Electric  -          2.500 baht

Water  -             1500 baht (MIL uses a lot!)

Gas   -                  400 baht

Internet -             850 baht

funeral plans -   1200 baht (for the inlaws)

Phone x 2       -     600 baht

fuel for car     -   2000 baht    (school run twice a day)

car loan          -   6500 baht  

Car insurance -  1000 baht

school costs   -  3500 baht  (fees, books, uniform, food at                                                               school)

Shopping -          5000 baht   (food, cleaning materials)

So 28,500 baht every month ..... without fail. Then add on cost of rice harvesting, car tax and mot, immigration extension, repairs, replacements (so much stuff just doesn't last), pocket money for self and wife,  so actual between 35,000 and xx,000!

Note - i haven't mentioned booze, holidays or health insurance. little money left for those .....

Two relatives have/are building houses next door - modest affairs, 2 small bedrooms, but well over one million baht each. That is the house. Landfill, landscaping, perimeter walls, gates etc. extra.

What ever you think you need, double it. Also that is incase of currency fluctuations and unplanned events (like children!).

Oh, and have an exit plan .......

Mortgage -      11,000 baht

Electric  -          3.500 baht

Water  -             800 baht

Gas   -                  400 baht

Internet -             1550 baht

funeral plans -   0 baht (for the inlaws)

Phone x 4       -     2000 baht

fuel for car     -   2000 baht    (school run twice a day)

car loan          -   17500 baht  

Car insurance -  2000 baht

school costs   -  15000 baht 

Shopping -          10000 baht 

Pension - 10000 baht

Extras like Uni fund - 10000

Holidays - 20000

Approx 120,000 to live comfortably with  2 teenage kids getting 'good schooling'. 

Well to prepare them for uni abroad. 

Edited by Neeranam

You can build a house for 400000 upwards,       make sure you order materials collect materials yourself do not give thais money ,,,,they will rip you off you will never see your money again pay the builders in installments do not pay upfront ,ever

I built a bungalow75 square metres and the total cost for furniture and quality fittings was 467000 baht

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 12:52 AM, wolf81 said:

You wouldn't enjoy the burning season up here. Just for the burning season it's not a great place to stay year round in the north.

I am just trying to get data ahead as I have time before I retire.  I spend 3 or 4 months several times over the last 2 decades and usually not in tourist areas.  Im just trying to get ducks in a row in advance to make sure its viable

19 hours ago, Chandler said:

I am just trying to get data ahead as I have time before I retire.  I spend 3 or 4 months several times over the last 2 decades and usually not in tourist areas.  Im just trying to get ducks in a row in advance to make sure its viable

I don't live in a tourist area (Chaiprakan, about a 3 - 3.5 hours drive from Chiang Mai) and it was horrible over here last year. Same in Thaton closer to the Myanmar border). This year the air has been ok so far, but not sure if that's due to COVID somehow or maybe the burning season still needs to start.

Seriously ... if you're considering living anywhere in Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai, do make sure you have some money set apart to leave this area due to bad air about 3 months every year. 

Edited by wolf81