Bangkok risk with protest

Lolothai

I remember when the Thaksin ousting coup went down and the subsequent protests. The beginning was a bit scary because there were tanks in the streets, but they were gone fairly quickly and after that you didn’t even know there was something going on unless you were in the areas where the protests went down. Everywhere else was business as usual. Also, I highly doubt that you would get harmed because you’re obviously a foreigner and have nothing to do with the situation, so why would they be interested in you?

I also remember Songkran 2010, I wanted to go to Chiang Mai via train, but the red shirts had blocked the train station, so I decided to ride my Honda all the way up the next day. I hit a roadblock in northern Bangkok, but when I took off my helmet they saw I’m Caucasian and the Red Shirts let me through. The same happened between Lampang and Lamphun. 

It was a nice ride. Everyone warned me about how dangerous it is to ride a motorcycle and how crazy I am for wanting to ride up there. The reality was, there were next to no cars on the road because it was already the third day of Songkran, so everyone had travelled already to wherever they wanted to go, and obviously the roadblocks contributed to that as well. 

Edited by pacovl46

In 1992 ? (if I am correct), it went ballistic in BKK. I used to have a VHS tape of the Thai cops shooting live ammo at the crowd. Apparently over 700 odd were killed. Truly great BKK police chief back then, a real turd. As an old soldier, I am as glad as all hell that I got my Thai wife and child out of LOS some 7 years ago, before C-19 destroyed the world as we know it and this pack of **** took over. I met a Swedish medical student (pardon me if you read this once before on here, because it IS 100% true) in CM in the late 90's who had been shot twice in the back by an M-16 when he "went for a look" at a protest in 1992 and then joined the throng running away. He told me he actually had just gone to use an ATM. He knew he was shot, then collapsed in his hotel foyer. After 6 weeks hospital (paid for entirely by the Thai govt) he went to the airport with his father, only to be hit with a 2 month overstay fine ! <deleted> = TIT ! As a retired army Officer, I can say he was VERY lucky. I saw his back - two bullet holes - one each side of his spine. The truth. Sadly, ..

On 11/20/2020 at 8:59 AM, Lolothai said:

Hi,

I need to go to the French embassy with my 2 kids, 4 and 5 years old. Is it dangerous to go now?

No danger, just use common sense.

If you see any protesters [which during the daytime is unlikely] just walk on by.

Don't do what the Russian father did, stop and call the leader out... big mistake.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1

Anyone saying it's zero or no risk when protests are going on are delusional and or naïve fools.  

Thailand has a long history of bombings in Bangkok locations away from protest sites during times of political disturbance. Several times foreigners have been killed or seriously injured.   While the chances of something happening to you while spending 1 day going to an embassy and back home again may be low, it's definitely not zero risk.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/21/2020 at 3:30 PM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Have you registered with your embassy? Do they send out email alerts?

The US Embassy is quite good with this, letting me know where and when to avoid.

They should put themselves near the top of the list.

• Haha 1