Pandemic is a "golden opportunity" to reintroduce "premium" tourists to the wonders of Thai culture

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Achiraya Thammaparipatana of Hivesters thinks it is time to reconnect with what every tourist wants - to understand more about the real Thailand. 

My advice to K Achiraya is to go back and (re)read her market research reports.  My instinct is that tourists come to Thailand for many reasons but I think this particular reason will be very low on the list.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

When Thais visit Holland do they want to know how windmills work, how to make cheese and grow tulips and wear wooden shoes?

I think they want to stick their fingers in the leaky dykes. Bring the cheese and Tulip bulbs back here to plant.  But most of all they want to import the world's culture back to Thailand and move forward not backwards as their current culture seems to be very similar to several hundered years ago.  Sure it is nice to see where Clay pots and bronze were used, but no one wants to learn how to make clay pots and bronze buddah statues. Everyone can visit a museum.

What can you say, the endless, relentless, ridiculous straw grasping (could that be a Thai cultural hobby?)....hmm better book a flight, 3 weeks of straw grasping training, here I come......

Just as you think this constant blabbing on about trying to rejuvenate a dead industry is becoming so boring that I have considered not to bother reading any more news posts, they come up with a masterful gem which has me rolling on the floor with laughter.

Digital nomads, millionaires who want to invest millions, cruise passengers (from non-existent ships), premium tourists (I think they mean the ones that don't have to be followed around Swampy with a pooper scooper), basket weavers, medical tourists, sports tourists etc. etc., I just can't wait to see when they will open up as hub for painters and decorators and of course, you can't leave out bish-bosh loads of dosh plasterers they could bring in absolutely millions ????

Almost everyone I meet now, still being here, is interested in a nice swimming pool, food, drinks and girls lol. Actually few I know are interested in what the TAT tells us to be interested in. Yet we have to pay insane prices for a bottle of average decent wine. Change that instead!

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Achiraya Thammaparipatana of Hivesters thinks it is time to reconnect with what every tourist wants - to understand more about the real Thailand. 

She claimed that everyone wants to learn about things like weaving bags and baskets and mats, fishing and painting on handicrafts and the like.

How deluded! When Thais visit Holland do they want to know how windmills work, how to make cheese and grow tulips and wear wooden shoes?

People travel to see new things, enjoy architecture, mountains, beaches, good food and relax. Now Thailand can offer these things. What it needs to do is improve what they already have and implement changes to some of their stupid rules.

1.Not being able to buy alcohol between 2-5pm. 

2. Reduce import tax on alcohol. The decent beer or wine prices here are crazy.

3.Clean up the streets and sort out the dog and cat problems.

4. Improve service and English.

With the Baht being so high tourists will not accept the low standards like they did 10-15 years ago.

People will also mention the roads but i cant see that improving unless the roads are policed because Thais just do as they please in general and dont worry about the consequences of their actions.

1. I can 'just about' live with the ban on alcohol between 2-5pm.

2. Yep! Reduce the tax on alochol!  But wasn't the tax increased 2 years ago to deter the Thais from drinking so much -- especially wine which we all know they drink great quantities of!!!

3. Local authorities should educate and prosecute those that dump rubbish  -- especially in tourist areas!

4. But why improve spoken 'English' -- ''There has been little recovery in Thailand with the previous top three markets - the Chinese, Russians and Malaysians - all absent along with the money they used to bring.''  The English-speaking -- and many Europeans -- don't really count, obviously!

9 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

My advice to K Achiraya is to go back and (re)read her market research reports.  My instinct is that tourists come to Thailand for many reasons but I think this particular reason will be very low on the list.

It's pretty obvious that Thailand needs to introduce good ''foreign blood'' into it's political structure.  Thai nationals seem to have little knowledge of reality and economics! Probably down to poor education and/or appointments made to ''favoured'' -- or rich -- friends and relatives.

• Like 2

Well, they can talk about the 'real Thailand' if they want to but while you're teaching 'everybody' Arts and Crafts the 'real world' wants...what? Arts & Crafts? I don't think so. Fine as extra curricular activity but Thailand will lag behind in the subjects necessary for advancement. On the other hand it is a good opportunity to keep and increase control over ordinary people. 

5 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Those must be really old photographs.  Since providing free plastic bags in supermarkets was ended the country has solved its problem with plastic waste and been restored to a beautiful, pristine environment.

NOT!!!!, they 7-11 and the other small markets as well as the street vendors still hand out plastic bags. Just go to any Talad and buy your fruits and vegetables, into a plastic bag they go.

• Like 1

So my 10 to 12  Aussie alcoholic, bar bending, girl chasing golfing fanatics mates that visit Pattaya three times a year are not premium tourists.

<deleted>; I best let them know to head off to Vietnam next year to spend their premium tens of thousands of dollars; as they are not on Thailand's preferred list of tourist types.    

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

1. I can 'just about' live with the ban on alcohol between 2-5pm.

2. Yep! Reduce the tax on alochol!  But wasn't the choiceincre ased 2 years ago to deter the Thais from drinking so much -- especially wine which we all know they drink great quantities of!!!

3. Local authorities should educate and prosecute those that dump rubbish  -- especially in tourist areas!

4. But why improve spoken 'English' -- ''There has been little recovery in Thailand with the previous top three markets - the Chinese, Russians and Malaysians - all absent along with the money they used to bring.''  The English-speaking -- and many Europeans -- don't really count, obviously!

1.Its not about being able to live without its about people on holiday being able to have a choice. 

2.Not talking about alcohol for Thais. Im talking about other options for tourists-imported. I think the wine tax is to keep the lower middle class away so the elite can post their photos online.

3. Of course but unlikely to happen.

4. Agreed but English is the International business language. Whats the point learning several languages instead of one especially as English will help you outside the Tourist sector if you change profession.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

She claimed that everyone wants to learn about things like weaving bags and baskets and mats, fishing and painting on handicrafts and the like.

They can get that on google without the need to travel and get gouged !

Think again.

• Like 1