Pandemic is a "golden opportunity" to reintroduce "premium" tourists to the wonders of Thai culture

webfact

8 hours ago, Kadilo said:

“She claimed that everyone wants to learn about things like weaving bags and baskets and mats, fishing and painting on handicrafts and the like. “

Course they do luv. I’ll have one of whatever she’s smoking. 

"She claimed that everyone wants to learn about things like weaving bags and baskets and mats, fishing and painting on handicrafts and the like." 

Everyone? Come on, some people want to enjoy the weather and have a nice meal with a couple of drinks.

Personally, I don't know anyone that wants to learn about weaving bags and baskets etc - that is something that prisoners do isn't it?

9 hours ago, djayz said:

I can't help but feel that those horses have bolted many years ago and they're not coming back. 

Although the country does have some breathtaking scenery, interesting arts and crafts, delicious and exotic food, etc., to offer, the mounting rubbish, endless traffic congestion, environmental problems, conartists, etc. simply outweigh the positive side of the place. 

"breathtaking" is pushing it a bit methinks. I haven't seen every corner of Thailand and but I  have yet to see what you describe. Esan is a good example of more of the same for hundreds of miles. Nothing very special about rice paddies. 

What they call mountains and rivers  here are so so, and their magnificent waterfalls simply aren't. There are lots of nice beaches where they haven't despoiled them yet with commercialization and hulking drab multistory condos. 

There are many things I like about Thailand but the scenery isn't one of them. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

"breathtaking" is pushing it a bit methinks. I haven't seen every corner of Thailand and but I  have yet to see what you describe. Esan is a good example of more of the same for hundreds of miles. Nothing very special about rice paddies. 

What they call mountains and rivers  here are so so, and their magnificent waterfalls simply aren't. There are lots of nice beaches where they haven't despoiled them yet with commercialization and hulking drab multistory condos. 

There are many things I like about Thailand but the scenery isn't one of them. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

NOT!!!!, they 7-11 and the other small markets as well as the street vendors still hand out plastic bags. Just go to any Talad and buy your fruits and vegetables, into a plastic bag they go.

Only the big shops like BigC, Lotus etc, are the winners, they still supply plastic bags, but guess...you'll have to pay for it.

The problem is simply as Thailand has become more 'westernised' due to 'mass tourism' it has lost a huge amount of originality and old fashioned Thai ambience

Those such as I, fortunate to discover Thailand 30+ years ago know exactly what I mean, mass tourism brings changes that cannot be undone.

• Like 2

40 some years ago, an old farmer showed me how to put a chicken to sleep.  They can add that to their list of must-see items. 

And I'm sure premium tourists will want to learn how to properly prepare a rice paddy for planting.

image.jpeg.d76cd03f0f8467a75b4ef2018a657713.jpeg

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"She claimed that everyone wants to learn about things like weaving bags and baskets and mats, fishing and painting on handicrafts and the like. "

No,  that stuff is YOUTUBE. Nobody goes thousands of miles and spends thousands of baht to see weaving.

• Like 2

I have 4 VCR tapes and 2 CDs on Thailand culture and the historic sights and the entertainment

with the Thai traditional and country performances.  I have down loaded from the CDs to

flash drives to run in my computer so I get all the Thai culture stuff I need, without even leaving Canada

and chancing the latest newest virus or other disease that may cut my vacation short.

Thailand! Make the visit to your country hassle free and make the 270 day visa or a one year

visa the only 2 visas needed. Make them renewable as well,  with no border runs necessary,so that the visitor     who does not have to go back to their own countries can have a nice long extended visit to your country.

Get with the new programs. After all I can go to Mexico and only need my passport. Hint, Hint.

Geezer

• Like 1

The first time I visited Thailand was 1967,I travelled by train from Penang up to HatYai and I'll never forget seeing all the  'Food sellers' and 'Market Ladies' wearing beautiful 'Sarongs' smiling as they worked,I remember thinking how happy they seemed to be, sadly you'd  hardly see a Thai lady wearing one these days,only jeans and other B/S western clothes, it's only a small observation,however  we have a saying 'Small fish are sweet' and that would be a start, if the beautiful Thai women would go back to wearing there traditional clothing.

17 hours ago, anchadian said:

She claimed that everyone wants to learn about things like weaving bags and baskets and mats, fishing and painting on handicrafts and the like. 

Although these so called 'foreign quality tourists' would still be subject to two-tiered pricing.

So much so, they're prepared to spend a fortune on tests, insurances, and quarantine costs.

Makes sense