Pandemic is a "golden opportunity" to reintroduce "premium" tourists to the wonders of Thai culture

webfact

19 hours ago, Rmac442 said:

Nice fairytale wish and story ..reality is Thai culture is quickly disappearing since the mid '90s. Definition of a 'premium tourist' means different thinks to different people ..

If not then the iPhone really killed it off. Maybe not unique, but still has a certain je ne sais quoi. :wink:

Just now, PatOngo said:

The wheel rims and the Coke crates give it that certain "Old World Charm", Wonderful culture!:thumbsup:

That's my sis-in-law's place.  They make a living recycling , repairing junk or reselling it and washing laundry.  Hey, she's given me some antique items that she came across. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think they want to stick their fingers in the leaky dykes. Bring the cheese and Tulip bulbs back here to plant.  But most of all they want to import the world's culture back to Thailand and move forward not backwards as their current culture seems to be very similar to several hundered years ago.  Sure it is nice to see where Clay pots and bronze were used, but no one wants to learn how to make clay pots and bronze buddah statues. Everyone can visit a museum.

Leaky dykes are only found in the Southern state of the US and tulips don't grow in the Thai climate.

14 hours ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

1. I can 'just about' live with the ban on alcohol between 2-5pm.

2. Yep! Reduce the tax on alochol!  But wasn't the tax increased 2 years ago to deter the Thais from drinking so much -- especially wine which we all know they drink great quantities of!!!

3. Local authorities should educate and prosecute those that dump rubbish  -- especially in tourist areas!

4. But why improve spoken 'English' -- ''There has been little recovery in Thailand with the previous top three markets - the Chinese, Russians and Malaysians - all absent along with the money they used to bring.''  The English-speaking -- and many Europeans -- don't really count, obviously!

2. Yep ! Just ingrease the tax on alcohol for Thai only. Reversed two tier pricing.

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

Loei (town) has a couple nice views.

1. View of Phu Bo Bit from our back porch.  2.  View from the top of Phu Bo Bit.  3.  View of the house across the street from the front of our house.

image.jpeg.a5016e8a05a42e2078d71dc53468a25e.jpeg  image.jpeg.42da1d74384d76bd16aec9e7f3ed731e.jpeg

image.png.efec65aed2a76ee7144dd1c663c12a8f.png

Thought that was your sister inlaws house 

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

I'm sure tourists can't wait to come back and learn the cultural intricasies of FACE.......saving face, giving face, losing face, kill for face, regaining lost face, lying for face, buying face, selling face, false face, the very thing that keeps Thailand stunted and mired in the dark ages!

All called Thainess.  Classes coming soon to a cultural heritage location near you. 

I remember being rather excited by the coup of 2006.  It was my first experience of a coup and I didn't know what to expect.  Perhaps the Army should stage a coup every month for the titillation of tourists.  It would be a much more novel attraction than weaving and painting.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hezzey said:

premium tourist probably go to the bahamas and not thailand.

I have been twice and there 5 star hotels and beaches and the service makes Thailand's hotels look like 3 star, Every morning walk along Cable beach, I think these guys should go and spend a week there,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

Loei (town) has a couple nice views.

1. View of Phu Bo Bit from our back porch.  2.  View from the top of Phu Bo Bit.  3.  View of the house across the street from the front of our house.

image.jpeg.a5016e8a05a42e2078d71dc53468a25e.jpeg  image.jpeg.42da1d74384d76bd16aec9e7f3ed731e.jpeg

image.png.efec65aed2a76ee7144dd1c663c12a8f.png

Looks like Steptoes yard

If the Thais were able to think ahead and invest money rather than pocketing it, they would have spent this entire pandemic time investing heavily in rebuilding and refreshing their tourism industry. 

No doubt they will miss this golden opportunity. 

They also would have worked hard to attract companies moving out of China. 

No doubt they have missed that opportunity as well (to Vietnam). 

They simply seem incapable of planning and executing a forward thinking vision. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I have been twice and there 5 star hotels and beaches and the service makes Thailand's hotels look like 3 star, Every morninyeng walk along Cable beach, I think these guys should go and spend a week there,

But it is not the center of the Universe, and you can not teach a Thai how to run a business as their way is always the best way.  They would find fault somehow, and of course it might be too hard and not easy easy, Ci yen.  

• Like 1

I think most of South East Asian countries are promoting their cultures as part of their tourism schemes. I think what TAT is trying to do is promote Thai culture as PART of the holiday experience similar to Malaysia.

Why not plan a visit Malaysia once the borders are open? Thailand is not the one and only ultimate destination in SEA. We’ve got nice beaches and beautiful sceneries as well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

But it is not the center of the Universe, and you can not teach a Thai how to run a business as their way is always the best way.  They would find fault somehow, and of course it might be too hard and not easy easy, Ci yen.  

They always want to portray they are service orientated, they dont give a flying f@@k and it's got worse over the years, 20, 25 years ago maybe not no more, what I see staff training is none Existent.

A friend of mine and his wife went to a nice Italian restaurant and he ordered a bottle of wine the waitress just plonked it  down on the table and walked away, he had to ask her to come back and open it.  

• Like 2