Beer in Phuket

madmitch

6 hours ago, schlog said:

Back from Tops. This are my top 3 doppelbock here on HKT.

@madmitch did you try Korbinian?

It's a dark doppelbock with light foam. Taste of toffee, nuts, chocolate and dark malt aroma. 10/10 points from me for that beer.

For Abt and Celebrator can give only 9 points because of their small bottle seize lol.

20210405_125559.jpg

Yes. I did try it a while ago. Very good if I remember.

I haven't tried the Ayinger beer in your picture. Been trying to lose weight this year so haven't drunk much beer at all. Avoiding Chang, Leo and the like in particular!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, madmitch said:

Yes. I did try it a while ago. Very good if I remember.

I haven't tried the Ayinger beer in your picture. Been trying to lose weight this year so haven't drunk much beer at all. Avoiding Chang, Leo and the like in particular!

Celebrator from Ayinger is a great doppelbock. Rated 1th at ratebeer.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/bock-doppelbock/26/

You should try it.

Tried to loose weight too in 2020. Was no success lol. Now since 5 weeks no more bread and pizza for me and i lost 6kg already.

Bread is the killer not beer i guess now.

Thanks to your hint about chang/leo having alot calories i did a check. Before that i never care. Found that. It's quiet shocking.......

For small bottle:

97 calories - Singha Light Beer (Thailand)

100 calories - San Miguel Light Beer (Philippines)

103 calories - Chang Light Beer (Thailand)

123 calories - Tiger Crystal Light Beer (Singapore)

130 calories - Singha Beer (Thailand)

135 calories - Tiger Beer (Singapore)

150 calories - Chang Beer (Thailand)

150 calories - Heineken Beer (Holland)

150 calories - Phuket Lager Beer

153 calories - Asahi Beer (Japan)

165 calories - Leo Beer (Thailand)

So with which beer do you substitute chang/leo?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, schlog said:

Thanks to your hint about chang/leo having alot calories i did a check. Before that i never care. Found that. It's quiet shocking.......

For small bottle:

It's not the calories, it's just that I am restricting my alcohol intake to better beers and red wine as I'm not drinking so much.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe this has been around for a while but I saw this for the first in TOPS. Had to give it a try. Interesting and won't be to everyone's taste. Probably the hoppiest beer I've ever tasted in Asia, and not the fragrant type of hop often found in craft IPAs these days, making it quite dry. I need to try it again!

Vedett Witbeer was on special at 75 baht a bottle as well as an American Pilsener called Founders Solid Gold, which was quite flavoursome when it was straight out of the fridge but as it warmed up it wasn't so good so drink it quickly!

image.thumb.png.fab613829bfc7fa8056629762927dee2.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 11:13 AM, madmitch said:

To continue with my review: the Pale Ale is fine. Unfiltered, thereby giving a bit of malty/hoppy character, though lacking bitterness. Not bad by Thai standards but you wouldn't go out of your way to buy it in the UK or USA.

The Witbeer was dreadful: a clear, filtered brew that resembled a regular lager, probably slightly darker. If tasted nothing like a Belgian Witbier or a German Weissbeer; in fact I think the bottle I had tasted like it was well past its sell-by date but as the bottle don't seem to have a best before date I couldn't tell. To say that Snowy Weissen is better should give a clue as to how bad this was.

So, of the three, the IPA is the only one I'd buy again.

Yeah I'm having one of the pale ale right now. It's ok but it's no Brewdog IPA. It's lacking a bit. 

That other Witber was horrendous. One sip and I tipped it out. That's not good German beer. Not even close. 

On 6/4/2021 at 12:01 PM, schlog said:

Franziskaner Weissbier and dunkles Hefe 119 baht at Tops in new Central.

Odd that it's 139 baht in the old Central, where I traeted myself to a Fullers IPA at 150 baht and an Oettinger Festbeer for 99 baht.. Both 500ml.

11 hours ago, madmitch said:

Odd that it's 139 baht in the old Central, where I traeted myself to a Fullers IPA at 150 baht and an Oettinger Festbeer for 99 baht.. Both 500ml.

Not the first time that they have different price in this 2 Tops.

Old rule...never buy oettinger! Horrible beer lol. Hope your Fullers is good.

4 hours ago, schlog said:

I don't normally but the Festbier was OK but hardly the best of its kind.

On 4/6/2021 at 8:24 AM, schlog said:

For small bottle:

Hey where did you get your numbers? I've looked a few times and have been been able to confirm these numbers.  There's only some post on a Bangkok forum about them almost 10 years ago (which seem to have the same numbers as you), which don't cite anything.  

Has anyone found real numbers from the beer companies?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, theWTD said:

Hey where did you get your numbers? I've looked a few times and have been been able to confirm these numbers.  There's only some post on a Bangkok forum about them almost 10 years ago (which seem to have the same numbers as you), which don't cite anything.  

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/chang-beer-307638965

12 hours ago, theWTD said:

They dont release them, but these look pretty close

MYbeer - from singh is the best tasting low cal beer, from memory just 1 cal/ bottle more than San Mig light

On 6/6/2021 at 5:10 AM, schlog said:

Should have looked at the use by date on the Fullers IPA: 1st July 2021. Well

past its best with not even a hint of bitterness or fragrance, just that old, bottled beer taste. Disappointing.

Anything within a couple of months of the best before date is worth avoiding in Thailand, unless it's on special offer when it might be worth taking a chance, as the journey and the heat cause the beer to deteriorate more quickly. This even applies to Beer Lao which is only good when it's fresh.

Edited by madmitch

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

One of the best Weissbiers. Can't get to TOPs today unfortunately.

Yup. Also in my top 5 weissbier list.

Btw on lazada you can get original weissbier glasses form paulaner, weihenstephaner,......which improves the weissbier pleasure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schlog said:

Yup. Also in my top 5 weissbier list.

Btw on lazada you can get original weissbier glasses form paulaner, weihenstephaner,......which improves the weissbier pleasure.

Thanks. I have an Erdinger glass. I won it, along with two bottles of Erdinger, in a competion at The Office bar in Bangkok many years ago and it's remained with me.

• Like 1

Tried this yesterday. A white IPA! Wasn't sure what to expect but I poured it into a weissbier glass and got a proper weissbeer head. Good start.

Light in colour but 6% abv, it tasted more like a draught beer rather than a canned beer with no excessive CO2. It was bitter, hoppy, slightly citrussy, a little dry with a fragrant nose and distinctive aftertaste. If I were served this via handpump in the UK I'd be happy.

99p for a 500ml can in TOPS. Definitely worth a try. I'll be buying it again.

NB Fraziskaner Weissbier and Dunkel 115 baht in Makro at the moment.

IMG_20210612_095337.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:07 AM, madmitch said:

Tried this yesterday. A white IPA! Wasn't sure what to expect but I poured it into a weissbier glass and got a proper weissbeer head. Good start.

Light in colour but 6% abv, it tasted more like a draught beer rather than a canned beer with no excessive CO2. It was bitter, hoppy, slightly citrussy, a little dry with a fragrant nose and distinctive aftertaste. If I were served this via handpump in the UK I'd be happy.

99p for a 500ml can in TOPS. Definitely worth a try. I'll be buying it again.

NB Fraziskaner Weissbier and Dunkel 115 baht in Makro at the moment.

IMG_20210612_095337.jpg

is this still a "rice beer"? 

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2021 at 3:23 PM, madmitch said:

Thanks. I have an Erdinger glass. I won it, along with two bottles of Erdinger, in a competion at The Office bar in Bangkok many years ago and it's remained with me.

Saw today first time here Erdinger Pikantus at Tops in new Central. Had my last one 2 years ago in munich. It's a great doppelbock weizen and tastes also very good on phuket. Madmitch you need to try it with your Erdinger glass!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...