Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

How can golf clubs in Thailand survive the next 6 months?


Recommended Posts

How can golf clubs in Thailand survive the next 6 months?

 

1594d96d7c2e211a8f07b3bbe300e34c.jpg

Free golf carts?

 

Here in Thailand, we are blessed with over 260 golf courses, however it would be fair to say that the top 100 most likely grab 90% of all the golf rounds played.

 

During the Pandemic, golf clubs have tried hard to cut back on expenditure, while 80% of their courses still need regular maintenance.

 

Certainly, for the next two months, us expat golfers already living, working, or retired here, along with locals of course, will make up 100% of bookings.

 

Expat pensions have suffered due to the strong Baht, and salaries have been reduced. That said let us not forget that many middle-class Thais are also feeling the pinch too.

 

So, golf club managers are going to have to be creative to stimulate more rounds of golf.

 

What ideas would you suggest, to encourage us to get out and play more golf?

 

Perhaps Free Carts, more sports days, 12-hole rounds, food vouchers…. let us have your suggestions.

 

golf-banner.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

maybe it's a good thing if some courses go bust then golfers can get together and buy the courses and run them how they want, optional cart, optional caddy, yearly membership, lockers for clubs, more farang food, competitions run by the club, committee set up, captain and all that stuff that makes golf clubs work in farangland

They work in" farangland" because they follow the rules of the club.....Farangs here cant wear a Helmut on thuccking motorbike,so fat chance of following dress code or any other rules a golf club might want to impose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

They work in" farangland" because they follow the rules of the club.....Farangs here cant wear a Helmut on thuccking motorbike,so fat chance of following dress code or any other rules a golf club might want to impose.

I bet 10 baht the knucklehead farang who don't wear a helmet don't play golf, with a few exceptions

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, berrec said:

There are no tourists to apply these ridiculous high season prices too.

 

So unfortunately these golf courses owners / management that raised their prices

Which courses have raised their prices? Around Pattaya most have pretty much stayed the same in November as per previous months and I am not hearing of increases for December.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

maybe it's a good thing if some courses go bust then golfers can get together and buy the courses and run them how they want, optional cart, optional caddy, yearly membership, lockers for clubs, more farang food, competitions run by the club, committee set up, captain and all that stuff that makes golf clubs work in farangland

Another guy who wants everything just like it is in farangland, run by farangs for farangs and even with farang food!

This is Thailand, enjoy it for what it is - you won't change it.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Added to the post above mine (if compulsory )i would say the caddie fee has to go and you simply tip your caddie...not both.

It's actually the caddies that are suffering the most. I talk with the caddies, they have seen their income drop by two-thirds.

As I was a caddie myself between the ages of 12 and 18, I always tip over the odds. Perhaps it has not occurred to you people who acquire a reputation for being stingy, wind up with the least competent caddies. The caddie fee is a guaranteed income, and also should cover workplace injury insurance. A tip is not and does not.

IMO those courses that are holding their green fees at promotional levels will do better than those who have jacked up their green fees for a high season that does not exist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PaoloR said:

Another guy who wants everything just like it is in farangland, run by farangs for farangs and even with farang food!

This is Thailand, enjoy it for what it is - you won't change it.

This thread is about what Thailand golf clubs can do to survive the next 6 months, so what's your idea? leave it as it is it seems

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

maybe it's a good thing if some courses go bust then golfers can get together and buy the courses and run them how they want, optional cart, optional caddy, yearly membership, lockers for clubs, more farang food, competitions run by the club, committee set up, captain and all that stuff that makes golf clubs work in farangland

Although I don't always agree with you Scuba, you've got some good thoughts here. However, you left out, no 5+-ball groups, have Marshalls, always have some staff on hand that can speak English, and finally, a drink cart would be nice, that circles the course backwards. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

They work in" farangland" because they follow the rules of the club.....Farangs here cant wear a Helmut on thuccking motorbike,so fat chance of following dress code or any other rules a golf club might want to impose.

Dress Code? Although I'm always, what I consider, well dressed, I sure don't need the "Fashion Police" telling me I have to wear a collared shirt. Not when I watch the pros on TV playing without one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

'd be fantastic to see all golf clubs go bust: the amount of water wasted for a few wannabes pseudo-rich is tremendous -- in a country where water becomes an increasingly sought- after resource!

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

maybe it's a good thing if some courses go bust then golfers can get together and buy the courses and run them how they want, optional cart, optional caddy, yearly membership, lockers for clubs, more farang food, competitions run by the club, committee set up, captain and all that stuff that makes golf clubs work in farangland

A few years ago PSC had the opportunity to do just that.  Instead they built an office block.....and you think these numpties could successfully run a club in Thailand?  I wouldn't trust half of them to run a bath.  Get real!

 

PH

Edited by Phulublub
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LNKDES1 said:

Although I don't always agree with you Scuba, you've got some good thoughts here. However, you left out, no 5+-ball groups, have Marshalls, always have some staff on hand that can speak English, and finally, a drink cart would be nice, that circles the course backwards. 

Good ideas, you know what, I'm relaxed about the Thai 5 balls, I quite often play behind a 5 or 6 ball and mostly they move quite quickly. Is a 5 ball slower than a 2 ball and 3 ball when the course is full anyway, I don't think so. 

 

It only takes 1 slow player to hold up the course. Here's another idea, those slow players once identified can't tee off until a set time, say 11.00am, if people don't like the rule they either speed up or go elsewhere

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

A few years ago PSC had the opportunity to do just that.  Instead they built an office block.....and you think these numpties could successfully run a club in Thailand?  I wouldn't trust half of them to run a bath.  Get real!

 

PH

I agree, over here people are too busy chasing skirt and overcoming a hangover, plus most being retired probably can't be bothered

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good ideas, you know what, I'm relaxed about the Thai 5 balls, I quite often play behind a 5 or 6 ball and mostly they move quite quickly. Is a 5 ball slower than a 2 ball and 3 ball when the course is full anyway, I don't think so. 

 

It only takes 1 slow player to hold up the course. Here's another idea, those slow players once identified can't tee off until a set time, say 11.00am, if people don't like the rule they either speed up or go elsewhere

IMO you would not be as relaxed as that playing behind a six, seven or eight ball group where every putt is scrutinized as if there is a sheep station hanging in the balance.

It's time the rule about singles having no rights of way was dumped. On the extremely rare occasions when someone is faster than me, I let them through. I don't think it is too much to ask the same courtesy is extended to me.

I remember one course where there was a 5 ball on the first tee ahead of me, a single. They were in carts, I was walking. The manager ( smart lady ) ran me out to the third tee in a golf cart.

The two hole lead became a six hole lead by the time I had walked and played twelve holes.

Permit me to doubt golf clubs can afford to employ people with stopwatches on individual players. It only takes one slow player in a four to pull everyone down to his level.

Please note I am gender-specific, as IME women don't muck around.

Back on topic, IMO golf clubs can get more income if they reduce the cost of memberships to reasonable levels, and keep their green fees down. I'd consider rejoining a club if they offered a weekday or senior membership, but one size fits all here.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 10:28 AM, Thaivisa Golf said:

How can golf clubs in Thailand survive the next 6 months?

I just keep mine clean and store them inside when not using them.  I expect my golf clubs to last a life-time.  :wink:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

IMO you would not be as relaxed as that playing behind a six, seven or eight ball group where every putt is scrutinized as if there is a sheep station hanging in the balance.

It's time the rule about singles having no rights of way was dumped. On the extremely rare occasions when someone is faster than me, I let them through. I don't think it is too much to ask the same courtesy is extended to me.

I remember one course where there was a 5 ball on the first tee ahead of me, a single. They were in carts, I was walking. The manager ( smart lady ) ran me out to the third tee in a golf cart.

The two hole lead became a six hole lead by the time I had walked and played twelve holes.

Permit me to doubt golf clubs can afford to employ people with stopwatches on individual players. It only takes one slow player in a four to pull everyone down to his level.

Please note I am gender-specific, as IME women don't muck around.

Back on topic, IMO golf clubs can get more income if they reduce the cost of memberships to reasonable levels, and keep their green fees down. I'd consider rejoining a club if they offered a weekday or senior membership, but one size fits all here.

One balls should only go through if there is a gap ahead I. e. the group in front has lost a hole. If you are on a full course and a single ball expects everyone to step aside they are dreaming. I was playing the other day and a single ball in a cart wanted to play through the whole course, totally daft, best to play elsewhere

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

One balls should only go through if there is a gap ahead I. e. the group in front has lost a hole. If you are on a full course and a single ball expects everyone to step aside they are dreaming. I was playing the other day and a single ball in a cart wanted to play through the whole course, totally daft, best to play elsewhere

Don't disagree if the course is full, not sure where that happens in Thailand at this point in time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO you would not be as relaxed as that playing behind a six, seven or eight ball group where every putt is scrutinized as if there is a sheep station hanging in the balance.

It's time the rule about singles having no rights of way was dumped. On the extremely rare occasions when someone is faster than me, I let them through. I don't think it is too much to ask the same courtesy is extended to me.

I remember one course where there was a 5 ball on the first tee ahead of me, a single. They were in carts, I was walking. The manager ( smart lady ) ran me out to the third tee in a golf cart.

The two hole lead became a six hole lead by the time I had walked and played twelve holes.

Permit me to doubt golf clubs can afford to employ people with stopwatches on individual players. It only takes one slow player in a four to pull everyone down to his level.

Please note I am gender-specific, as IME women don't muck around.

Back on topic, IMO golf clubs can get more income if they reduce the cost of memberships to reasonable levels, and keep their green fees down. I'd consider rejoining a club if they offered a weekday or senior membership, but one size fits all here.

Where I play there is dual pricing on green fees and caddy tipping , works out about half price for the local Thais

Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I understand the courses in Chiang Mai & Lamphun seem to be the only ones that allow thai residents ( foreigners who can produce a pink ID card or thai driving license ) to pay the same fees as thai golfers 7 days per week. No sports days involved. Perhaps if ALL the courses in Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin and everywhere else adopted this pricing practice they would definitely get more thai residents to play on a regular basis, and survive the next 6 months relatively comfortably. Up here the prices for Thais & Thai residents, in the majority of cases, remain the same year round depending on the standard of the course, and even then the max price is around 2000 baht. The highest price I've paid for golf ( green fee, caddy & cart ) this year is 1700 baht and that was for a tournament. My monthly golf prices have been between 900 -1200 baht for green fee, caddy & cart.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...